The Student Room Group

Giving A Levels another try as a mature student at 21 to get into medicine

Hi, Just wanted to get some opinions from people who have either already studied science A levels or are currently studying.

Heres a bit of a back story:I got A’s and Bs in my gcse So back in 2016 i was doing my science alevels (bio, chem, physics etc) and the plan was to continue onto a medicine degree at uni. However stuff happens in life and I was going through a very tough time at that point. I found A levels difficult to juggle with my life back then and totally gave up on the whole idea and quit. Gave it another try with different subjects however with my health at that time and doing 3 alevels in a 1 year span wasnt a good decision so ended up with grades ACD in a language, computer science and maths. Since then ive been working in a fulltime job since 2017.

Now my circumstances are so much better and I have found myself wanting to go back into education and pick up where I left off from. I’m looking at studying Bio and Chem A Levels through OpenUkCollege via fastrack but they give you up to 2 years support so thats good. Now I’m just wondering how hard will these be for me to complete in the span of a year?

I really want to get into med and mostly requirements are AAA or ABB. so even if I was to get B’s in both that would do as a lot of unis accept you onto the foundation course with those.Anyone whos studied alevel at a mature age how did you find it? I’m willing to put in all the time and effort but I’m scared of failing. It’s just the experience I’ve had with alevels is off putting and im scared ill put in all the effort and still come out with like a D.

Also I’ve looked at Medical diplomas and some unis do accept that but I’ve heard its really tough to get 45 credits at D? Also every uni has different requirements for the diplomas.Any tips would be great from anyone whos done the diploma or alevels at a later stage? Thank you🙏🙏😊
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonnon999
Hi, Just wanted to get some opinions from people who have either already studied science A levels or are currently studying.

Heres a bit of a back story:I got A’s and Bs in my gcse So back in 2016 i was doing my science alevels (bio, chem, physics etc) and the plan was to continue onto a medicine degree at uni. However stuff happens in life and I was going through a very tough time at that point. I found A levels difficult to juggle with my life back then and totally gave up on the whole idea and quit. Gave it another try with different subjects however with my health at that time and doing 3 alevels in a 1 year span wasnt a good decision so ended up with grades ACD in a language, computer science and maths. Since then ive been working in a fulltime job since 2017.

Now my circumstances are so much better and I have found myself wanting to go back into education and pick up where I left off from. I’m looking at studying Bio and Chem A Levels through OpenUkCollege via fastrack but they give you up to 2 years support so thats good. Now I’m just wondering how hard will these be for me to complete in the span of a year?

I really want to get into med and mostly requirements are AAA or ABB. so even if I was to get B’s in both that would do as a lot of unis accept you onto the foundation course with those.Anyone whos studied alevel at a mature age how did you find it? I’m willing to put in all the time and effort but I’m scared of failing. It’s just the experience I’ve had with alevels is off putting and im scared ill put in all the effort and still come out with like a D.

Also I’ve looked at Medical diplomas and some unis do accept that but I’ve heard its really tough to get 45 credits at D? Also every uni has different requirements for the diplomas.Any tips would be great from anyone whos done the diploma or alevels at a later stage? Thank you🙏🙏😊

You have a track record of rushing things and it seems like you wish to do the same again.
A lot of medical schools will only accept A levels on first sit and within a 2 year window. I would question whether your qualifications will fit that criteria, this ruling out many unis.
Foundation courses are different for medical schools and can either be contextual offers or for international students. They are quite hard to get onto and shouldnt just be seen as a way if you have lower grades. There also arent many.

You should be aiming for AAA, AAB might do and check you have chosen med schools that fit your educational profile.
You need to do more research and scritinise your plan.

Quick Reply

Latest