what to do about tarnished gold jewellery Watch

clm
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey guys, I've got loads of gold jewellery from places like topshop etc and a lot of it has gone a horrible reddy-gold colour. I was wondering if anyone has any tips about how I could get it back to its former colour! xx
starry skies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it probably depends on whether it's just oxidised or whether it's worn through to the base metal- have a look at where the reddy gold colour is showing. Is it quite uniform (oxidisation) or is it where it rubs together/sits on the skin. If it's the former, a proprietary jewellery cleaner might help though a lots of these are actually abrasive & might cause some wear. Or you could try something like warm water & bicarb of soda, or warm water & a couple of denture tablets to help shift the dirt. If it's actually worn away then there's not much you can do. You can get jewellery replated but it's not really worth it for costume jewellery. When your budget will stretch to it, buy real gold stuff (or even gold plated), it doesn't tarnish as it's a very chemically stable element.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's what happens to 'costume jewellery' from places like Topshop, Tesco, George, Miss Selfridge *basically any high st clothes shop* - the only way to stop it happening is to buy real jewellery - gold and silver. (Or if you're flash with the cash, White Gold and Platinum!!).
You can apply a coat of clear nail polish to costume rings, but it's not a permanent solution really.
ILILILILIL
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Stick it in some cillit bang.

I hear that cleans up pennies, might clean up your fake gold.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1236)
79.59%
Leave (317)
20.41%

Watched Threads