Is it worth moving to university (covid)?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
My university hasn't officially announced their plans for the academic term 2020/21 and I am unsure how many contact hours I will have per week, bearing in mind my course is very practical and in first year I had a lot of contact hours due to labs, tutorials, lectures.

My university has said they won't announce exactly what is happening and what our possible options are until mid august at the earliest to possibly early September (term starting end of September). Should I risk waiting for university to say something or find accommodation?

I am also unsure how tenancy contracts work, I do not want to enter a contract if it turns out I'm not required to move back.

This is for a London university, any advice or help is greatly appreciated! I'd also love to hear back about what other students are doing, have you secured accommodation? what are your universities saying?
Z_DCO_SRoom
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My university hasn't officially announced their plans for the academic term 2020/21 and I am unsure how many contact hours I will have per week, bearing in mind my course is very practical and in first year I had a lot of contact hours due to labs, tutorials, lectures.

My university has said they won't announce exactly what is happening and what our possible options are until mid august at the earliest to possibly early September (term starting end of September). Should I risk waiting for university to say something or find accommodation?

I am also unsure how tenancy contracts work, I do not want to enter a contract if it turns out I'm not required to move back.

This is for a London university, any advice or help is greatly appreciated! I'd also love to hear back about what other students are doing, have you secured accommodation? what are your universities saying?
No, I would do an apprentiship, or wait until next year an apply again
Kogomogo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's not good of them to leave you with no answers like that, are they perhaps willing to be more lenient with physical attendance for a time after confirming your course is actually running normally? Can you take a gap year?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Z_DCO_SRoom)
No, I would do an apprentiship, or wait until next year an apply again
(Original post by Kogomogo)
It's not good of them to leave you with no answers like that, are they perhaps willing to be more lenient with physical attendance for a time after confirming your course is actually running normally? Can you take a gap year?
Hi sorry my fault I wasn't clear enough - I am already enrolled and returning as a second year student.
iracundus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi sorry my fault I wasn't clear enough - I am already enrolled and returning as a second year student.
I wouldn’t drop out of uni as it would make it hard to start again if u wanted to loan wise, if u have already started it’s best to carry on, most unis are only doing lectures on like and smaller classes like seminars and practicals face to face, while I can’t guarantee ur uni will do the same at least wait to hear their plan before dropping out, they will make it so u still get the degree and therefore if u have already spent money on the first year I don’t think it’s worth it to drop out
Z_DCO_SRoom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by iracundus)
I wouldn’t drop out of uni as it would make it hard to start again if u wanted to loan wise, if u have already started it’s best to carry on, most unis are only doing lectures on like and smaller classes like seminars and practicals face to face, while I can’t guarantee ur uni will do the same at least wait to hear their plan before dropping out, they will make it so u still get the degree and therefore if u have already spent money on the first year I don’t think it’s worth it to drop out
Yeah, listen to his/her advice

I should have put that.

Nice advice iracundus
Anonymous #1
(Original post by iracundus)
Yes I'll definitely be carrying on, I just don't know whether to find a place to live or not
Z_DCO_SRoom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes I'll definitely be carrying on, I just don't know whether to find a place to live or not
Even if we were in normal time, I would just stay at home, with parents, because you don't want to waste your saving s on accommodation, when your parents already have a place that you live in.
yzanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
mine's planning on opening their campus ... i am definitely going. i cannot wait.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Z_DCO_SRoom)
Even if we were in normal time, I would just stay at home, with parents, because you don't want to waste your saving s on accommodation, when your parents already have a place that you live in.
Whilst that is true, a 6 hour round commute would be difficult if university were to open.

(Original post by yzanne)
mine's planning on opening their campus ... i am definitely going. i cannot wait.
Which university is this if you don't mind me asking? I assume universities in similar locations will be doing the same thing, mine just haven't confirmed anything which is strange!
yzanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Which university is this if you don't mind me asking? I assume universities in similar locations will be doing the same thing, mine just haven't confirmed anything which is strange!
Warwick and Cardiff. :yep:
iracundus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If u would have normally moved there I would move in, staying with friends is probably more fun that at home, you can still go out to a pub with a friend now restrictions are relaxed a bit and so if you live far away I would suggest going most unis are opening their campus like all of my friends unis are planning on opening so yeh, if you live far away go to uni if u live close it’s probs fine to stay at home bcz it’s cheaper
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you really want to live so far from your uni friends? You can go out now for drinks and to eat. I would get so lonely living at home (unless you lived in the same city as the uni)
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
If you live nearby, I would just stay home. That’s what I’m doing, I live 30 mins away by train and get free train travel. First year of uni. Especially since social life will be severely limited with social distancing, and even worse if a second wave hits us in Late Autumn (likely)
EnzoR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Quite a few private halls of residence in London and elsewhere in the country are allowing students to book now and cancel if they can’t travel or if the university is online next academic yr due to Covid19. You can now even search properties on Unilodgers by their Covid19 cancellation or flexible tenancy start policies.
kdn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You can book accommodation. They're flexible now. If things go online you can cancel the contract. I won't stay with friends and pubs unless the class is face to face. Be careful, virus is not disappearing. Safety first.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
i know someone going to a uni in london and they’ve been told that they’re not starting in person classes until at least mid october. however i’ve been told in manchester that we are back 21 september
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, if you hate being at home for whatever reason, or cannot be at home then yes, it's absolutely worth it, otherwise I don't really see much point, but obviously you will just have to wait and see what your university's doing in regards to teaching before you can make a decision
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (43)
41.35%
Take autumn exams (37)
35.58%
Look for a job (2)
1.92%
Consider an apprenticeship (3)
2.88%
Take a year out (14)
13.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
4.81%

Watched Threads