Sid10199
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with my English literature essays as I’ve really been struggling and I find it hard to make my writing sophisticated. If anyone could possibly give feedback on some of my work, I would greatly appreciate it. I am in yr 10 and my texts are inspector calls, Romeo and Juliet and a Christmas Carol
alevel20203
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Sid10199)
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with my English literature essays as I’ve really been struggling and I find it hard to make my writing sophisticated. If anyone could possibly give feedback on some of my work, I would greatly appreciate it. I am in yr 10 and my texts are inspector calls, Romeo and Juliet and a Christmas Carol
I studied inspector calls and a christmas carol for GCSE, how can I help?
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey,
I did An Inspector Calls, what are you stuck on specifically?
Alpacalover1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey,
Hiya,
I studied A Christmas Carol at GCSE and got a 9. If I can help in any way, let me know
Sid10199
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I feel that I know some solid points, however when it comes to essay writing, it doesn’t turn out to the level I would like it and not that sophisticated, usually stuck at band 3, possibly I’m not using the right techniques. I was wondering if anyone has some advice on how I can tackle this. I’ve asked my teacher many time but she never responds 😣
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I feel that I know some solid points, however when it comes to essay writing, it doesn’t turn out to the level I would like it and not that sophisticated, usually stuck at band 3, possibly I’m not using the right techniques. I was wondering if anyone has some advice on how I can tackle this. I’ve asked my teacher many time but she never responds 😣
Have you read some sample essays from the exam board/ elsewhere online and compared them to your own to see what you're missing?
Agrata123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey,
as i told u before i am ready to help in every text except Christmas Carol
Ellahsgajah
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Would anyone be able to help me with this..Stave 1
“Oh! But he was a tight-fisted hand at the grindstone, Scrooge…a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner! Hard and sharp as flint, from which no steel had ever struck out generous fire; secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster”

1. Who says this or who’s being described? What is this quote about?

2.How does this quote present Scrooge as an outsider?

3.Can you identify any language features that particularly help to present Scrooge as an outsider? How do they help?

4.Can you think of another point in the novel when Scrooge is presented as an outsider?

This is what i have been sent by my teacher (i am self isolating) and i have no idea how to wright it or how to start it,i havent been in school very much so far this year due to personal issues and im really struggling with this
Thanks x
alevel20203
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Ellahsgajah)
“Oh! But he was a tight-fisted hand at the grindstone, Scrooge…a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner! Hard and sharp as flint, from which no steel had ever struck out generous fire; secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster”

Scrooge being described as overprotective of his money through the adjective 'tight-fisted' . Pretty sure its said by the narrator

He's not very friendly

3.Can you identify any language features that particularly help to present Scrooge as an outsider? How do they help?
''solitary as an oyster" simile, suggests he keeps to himself and can only be opened by force (which could be a potential foreshadowing to the ending)

4.Can you think of another point in the novel when Scrooge is presented as an outsider?
I'm not too sure of this one

I would suggest to simply google it as that can provide more detail
1d
Anonymous1764764
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Alpacalover1)
Hiya,
I studied A Christmas Carol at GCSE and got a 9. If I can help in any way, let me know
Could you let me know what some example questions could be. I have a mock on Christmas Carol and Romeo and Juliet on 8th December which means I have 6 days to put my effort in. Can I have some advice
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Yeah use flashcards and answer practice questions instead.
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Ellahsgajah)

This is what i have been sent by my teacher (i am self isolating) and i have no idea how to wright it or how to start it,i havent been in school very much so far this year due to personal issues and im really struggling with this
Thanks x
Hey there - re language features, consider the following:

- Simile: "hard and sharp as flint", "solitary as an oyster" (this quote particularly reinforces Scrooge's outsider status - think of the clammed-up anatomy of an oyster.
- Alliteration of sibilants: "secret, self-contained, and solitary..." - consider the impression created by the seething 's' sound. The string of sibilants convey this sense of menace and ill-will on the part of Scrooge, which reinforces his distance from the wider society.
- Enumeration of gerund verbs: "squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching" - these are forceful actions that suggest Scrooge's inclination of getting the most out of everything he can lay his hands on, which reflects his miserly, petty and unlikeable character.

Just some starting points for you to think about! Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (98)
28.41%
No - I have already returned home (45)
13.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (66)
19.13%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.14%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.28%

Watched Threads