The Student Room Group

Completed My ACCESS course ask me anything

Completed my Science based access course with full Distinction marks.

Feel free to ask me anything, 34yr old, no former qualifications, last time I was in education was almost 20 years ago.

A lot of life experiences.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MasterRalph
Completed my Science based access course.

Feel free to ask me anything

1. How many started and finished?
2. Did you enjoy it.
3. Assuming you got the grades what next for uni and career?
Original post by 999tigger
1. How many started and finished?
2. Did you enjoy it.
3. Assuming you got the grades what next for uni and career?

1.The class was around 25-30 people, around 5 people dropped out within the first 2 months, after that, no one had dropped out.
2.Yeah for me it was very refreshing, I had not been in any education for almost 20 years, so it was nice to meet new people and learn about my topic of choice
3.Yes I did, i got a total of 45 distinctions at level 3. I applied to 5 uni's and got accepted by all 5, I think i will be going to Kings College London. Will study Dietetics + Nutrition and then head off to the states and build my career as a biotech rep and open a clinic on the side if possible.
1.The class was around 25-30 people, around 5 people dropped out within the first 2 months, after that, no one had dropped out.
2.Yeah for me it was very refreshing, I had not been in any education for almost 20 years, so it was nice to meet new people and learn about my topic of choice
3.Yes I did, i got a total of 45 distinctions at level 3. I applied to 5 uni's and got accepted by all 5, I think i will be going to Kings College London. Will study Dietetics + Nutrition and then head off to the states and build my career as a biotech rep and open a clinic on the side if possible.

1. That level of attrition is really good, have answered threads where it was less than 10 left on a similar startout.
2. I always suggest brick courses if possible, so you can interact with people rather than online, good you managed to mix.
3.That is excellent and really hard to do so you must have worked very hard.

Thanks
You have a nice beard MasterRalph
Original post by YaliaV
You have a nice beard MasterRalph

Lol, thanks YaliaV
Reply 6

Feel free to ask me anything, 34yr old, no former qualifications, last time I was in education was almost 20 years ago.

same!!! what university are you going to?
Original post by 2433red
same!!! what university are you going to?

Congrats!!!

By the looks of it, Kings College , how about you ?
1) What access course did you do? (There's a massive range of "Science based" access courses)
2) Did you have any referrals for either your L2 or L3 units?
Original post by MedicWil
1) What access course did you do? (There's a massive range of "Science based" access courses)
2) Did you have any referrals for either your L2 or L3 units?

1. I did Combined Science. It was actually called Combined Science, it was one of the few that the top universities were willing to recognise and accept.
2.I went straight on to L3 access course without having any prior qualifications, there was a prior assessment for English and maths beforehand to make sure I had the basics to be enrolled. I am not quite sure what you mean by referral , but I got my certificate and recommendations from my tutor as a reference.
1. Do you know anything about the distance learning options for access courses/ how many hours per week did you study in total?

2. What level was the work roughly, AS? A2? Somewhere in between? Just as an idea.

3. How is it assessed?

4. How rapidly do assignments come in and how hefty are they?

Thanks in advance, congratulations on your marks!
Reply 11

Where do you find and apply for these access courses?
Much appreciated
Original post by IQ Test
1. Do you know anything about the distance learning options for access courses/ how many hours per week did you study in total?

2. What level was the work roughly, AS? A2? Somewhere in between? Just as an idea.

3. How is it assessed?

4. How rapidly do assignments come in and how hefty are they?

Thanks in advance, congratulations on your marks!

1. I can't say I do , in all honesty I did way below the required amount, I think they say aim for 15-20 hours in your own time per week, I only did 2 hours if that at MAX, and i'm not super smart or anything. I went in 2 days a week, learnt what I did during that time, then perhaps for one day per week spent a few hours.

2.I think it varies according to the examining board, in all honesty it's pretty confusing, I didn't quite understand, its not just based on a percentage its based on other factors. I think the best thing to do is check which board it is.

3.This comes in SUPER FAST. In all honesty this was the hardest thing, if you do not complete the tasks as they come after the first 3-4 weeks you will struggle big time because things just pile up. If i could give you one tip, it would be to complete everything as they come.
Original post by CGD1997
Where do you find and apply for these access courses?
Much appreciated

The best thing to do is look online, but some uni's don't accept certain access course providers. So what I suggest is first find the uni and degree you would like to do ( if thats what you want to do eventually ).

Then just google Access Course Science ( as an example ). Once you have done that see what the course entails then call the uni up first and confirm they will accept this particular access course because there are some that they wont, last thing you want to do is enrol and then realise later on that it will not be accepted.

Hi there. First of all, congratulations on your results, for which I'm sure you've worked immensely hard.

Secondly, were there any practical components to your Access course, or was it all textbook based?
Original post by Plaguedbyfoibles
Hi there. First of all, congratulations on your results, for which I'm sure you've worked immensely hard.

Secondly, were there any practical components to your Access course, or was it all textbook based?

Many thanks .

There were practical elements, yes. These consisted of various experiments and general lab work. Part of the course I did had a marking scheme based on practical work. I can't remember now, but I think I needed an access course with lab work in order for the universities to accept the course it self.
Original post by 999tigger
1. That level of attrition is really good, have answered threads where it was less than 10 left on a similar startout.

Indeed - it's incredible. Usually at least half have left by the beginning of the fourth week.
Reply 17
are you able to say the name of the course provider?
do you have any issues regarding not having gcse - I am getting the impression in my research that even if you pass qualifications above them they are still a course requirement
Original post by tondop
are you able to say the name of the course provider?
do you have any issues regarding not having gcse - I am getting the impression in my research that even if you pass qualifications above them they are still a course requirement

Course provider? As in examining board ? Or do you mean college?
So the way it works is this, depending on your course you usually ALWAYS need grade C's min in english and maths.
I did these as well as the Access Course, however after my interviews, they said we do not need your GCSE's so im assuming that was based on the strength of the interview's that I had. On the offer conditions there was no mention of the GCSE's although when i was applying it states it is a MUST.
Reply 19
Course provider? As in examining board ? Or do you mean college?
So the way it works is this, depending on your course you usually ALWAYS need grade C's min in english and maths.
I did these as well as the Access Course, however after my interviews, they said we do not need your GCSE's so im assuming that was based on the strength of the interview's that I had. On the offer conditions there was no mention of the GCSE's although when i was applying it states it is a MUST.

GCSE only or equivalent accepted too? I.e., Functional Skills.

Quick Reply

Latest