Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is RH part of this scheme, since its a part of the university of london, even though its not in london...??????????????????????? ?

ReputationRep:
    You can get student Oyster cards, yes, but as it's only weekly tickets and upwards that are discounted it' not really worth it

ReputationRep:
    Oyster cards won't work in egham, this is one of those "we're in London, but not IN London" things :rolleyes:

edit - though I think you should be able to get a student one, and just use it elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    yer i would imagine we can still apply for one and then benefit from it when its not term time and we're back home. x

ReputationRep:
    lastyear rhul was in the scheme, so i assume they are this year too, oyster cards only work as far out as feltham, its £3 something extra to egham
    though im not sure how oyster cards work/if they even do, on national rail trains- you can have travel cards put on them though

ReputationRep:
    yeah i do no they dont work in egham! its jsut that an student oyster card would be really useful for me since i may be coming back to london on the weekends (we'll see how long that lasts for!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Remember to get your young persons railcard discount loaded onto your oyster card for 34% of the maximum daily capped fares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennyng2000)
    lastyear rhul was in the scheme, so i assume they are this year too, oyster cards only work as far out as feltham, its £3 something extra to egham
    though im not sure how oyster cards work/if they even do, on national rail trains- you can have travel cards put on them though
    Well I guess I'll WALK it to Egham then lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalHollowayHopefully)
    Well I guess I'll WALK it to Egham then lol
    lol from where i wonder.....could be faster than driving mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dead1nside)
    Remember to get your young persons railcard discount loaded onto your oyster card for 34% of the maximum daily capped fares.
    You can do this? wow where do I apply?

ReputationRep:
    I have a question, i just visited the railcard website and went through the procedures of applying for the 16-25 railcard. What i would like to know is how you load that onto ur oyster card??

Oh and can someone explain to me how its going to work if i travel from London? I'll have to get off at Waterloo and then get the rail to Egham, but how much does it work out to be for a return ticket and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    A return ticket from Egham to Waterloo is about £7-8 with the railcard, about £12 without

ReputationRep:
    To load the 16-25 discount onto your oyster card you need to go to one of those booths in the underground. You'll have to fill out a form tying the oyster card to you, name and address type thing and then they'll put the discount onto the card. The discount isn't 34% off all fares, it's 34% off the daily cap. So for instance if you're making more than 2 underground stops in Zone 1 (Central London) and make another then it'll be capped around £3.40 instead of the higher rate. So you can then have unlimited travel in Zone 1 for £3.40.

I hope I helped explain that better. I looked into the student oyster railcard but it didn't seem to have a very good discount, it's only on travelcards I think.

ReputationRep:
    So say I was going to Arsenal (North London) at the weekend from Egham, would the oyster card come in handy or would it just be quicker to buy a travelcard? The way I understand it, if I were to use the oyster card, I would have to buy a return to Waterloo from Egham for around £7 and then use the Oyster once I get to London at a maximum of £3.40. £10.40 overall, so is that cheaper than just buying a travel card from Egham? Can you even buy a travel card from Egham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dead1nside)
    To load the 16-25 discount onto your oyster card you need to go to one of those booths in the underground. You'll have to fill out a form tying the oyster card to you, name and address type thing and then they'll put the discount onto the card. The discount isn't 34% off all fares, it's 34% off the daily cap. So for instance if you're making more than 2 underground stops in Zone 1 (Central London) and make another then it'll be capped around £3.40 instead of the higher rate. So you can then have unlimited travel in Zone 1 for £3.40.

I hope I helped explain that better. I looked into the student oyster railcard but it didn't seem to have a very good discount, it's only on travelcards I think.
    i rung up tfl other day and they said that the only way to get the student oyster card was to get the form from the uni itself........and i also asked them about htis loading up 16-25 railcard on oyster card with the discount that you mentioned and they had never heard of it.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birdsonghero)
    i rung up tfl other day and they said that the only way to get the student oyster card was to get the form from the uni itself........and i also asked them about htis loading up 16-25 railcard on oyster card with the discount that you mentioned and they had never heard of it.....
    I'm afraid that only speaks for TFL's incompetence. I saw this in their own literature. Those leaflets that are available at the kiosks.

The Student Photo-Oystercard is separate from loading a 16-25 railcard discount onto the oyster card.

Edit: Just google it '16-25 railcard oyster' - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx amongst many other results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afc1886)
    So say I was going to Arsenal (North London) at the weekend from Egham, would the oyster card come in handy or would it just be quicker to buy a travelcard? The way I understand it, if I were to use the oyster card, I would have to buy a return to Waterloo from Egham for around £7 and then use the Oyster once I get to London at a maximum of £3.40. £10.40 overall, so is that cheaper than just buying a travel card from Egham? Can you even buy a travel card from Egham?
    Yes you can buy travelcards from Egham, using the nationalrail.co.uk website you'd see that as a fare. Just looking now, with a 16-25 Railcard the price of a travelcard (underground travel, plus return journey) is £7.05 so it is cheaper to buy a travelcard.

ReputationRep:
    don't we have to get a form for the 18+ oyster from the university cos i tried to get one today down the postoffice and they say they dont hand them out anymore. x

ReputationRep:
    You just do it online from what I remember when I tried to give it a go. There's a drop-down list of all the institution that are part of the scheme 'Royal Holloway, University of London' is one of them.

ReputationRep:
    really? where's that? i dont rmmbr an online form or the drop down list when i looked on the site a few weeks back.?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 16, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.