Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 21
So will we recieve the discount when buying a travelcard from a national rail station, such as Egham? It seems like it's just giving them an excuse to say, 'no the discount doesn't work from here'..

EDIT: looking around, I don't see how this is going to be a worthwhile purchase when you have the student railcard? I'm confuzzled... :s-smilie:
Reply 22
i still THINK that any student who are 18 when joining rhul this year should be eligible for the 16+ oyster which gives child rates on everything and free bus and tram in london. but that only works if our term time addresses count as london student addresses, and as we're on the outskirts, im not sure..... anyone spoken to oyster re this? ive tried, but to no avail :s-smilie:
Nah you can only apply to the 16+ oyster card if you are in college, not in university.
Reply 24
ba*******ds!

they've got everything covered! well, its not like we're being screwed out of any other money by the government.

--- oh wait!
Actually when you think about it, in London almost all the buses these days are advertising EMA!!! The govt. wants you to get the money from them! They got all the maintanence grant and also 2 years back, the students who got EMA had a scheme of getting more money off the govt.!!!

Besides, when you think about it, it was cause of the scottish MPs VOTING on ONLY ENGLAND matter why our tuition fees was increased up to £3000!!
Reply 26
so is there any point of getting the student oyster if I'm going to be using the tube (one line) morning and evenings?
Reply 27
bedrazor666

thanks for the link :smile:
but i dont have a digital passport type photo to use so im just going to apply for the paper version. it doesn't have to be done by a certain date does it? x
To:

mppp- oyster card will get you a discount of 33% from the normal adult rate.

monica7790- Nop there is no date, you do it whenever you want but try and do it soon just in case...
Reply 29
bedrazor666 --- nyeh, the students who get EMA get everything. what about those who are only £50 over th threshold who get nuttin'? how about the kids with rich parents who give them nothing and the poor kids with single parents whose fathers are not assessed but who give them fat cheques?

not having a go at EMA or lack of it, it just seems so unfair that even when we're legally adults, our income is assessed form our parents (which just doesn't seem right) and our poor parents are expected to bear it if we don't get the grants...

i think its outrageous in a country with free education that we get screwed for so much when we want to further it.

bloody government, bloody scot MPs... *rants off*

im lovely really :smile:
To be quite honest, i myself never got EMA so i know how you feel! I am also 1 of those who hardly got any money from the parents! LOL!

But i don't regret it neither do i feel upset, cause it has taught my to be more dependent and to get the money myself. I started work when i was 16/17 cause i needed some cash in hand whereas my mates who were on EMA didn't do any work. I know EMA is like a free-money scheme but atleast i had a few job experience to put on my UCAS.

All things have their own pros and cons...so we just have to live with it!

BUT i gotta admit, bloody scot MPs!!!:angry::angry:
Reply 31
haha bedrazor. i got a job at 16 too. worst job ever! but i stuck at it! i always noticed ema students going down the pub when it came through. nah well, what can we do.

work our butts of and become PM. or start a revolution!!! :smile:
Let's start a revolution! Atleast then in the future, students of History will respect us for getting the minimum wage higher, more money and less work..whereas being a PM, History is just never that kind when it comes to the PMs!!
Reply 33
true bedrazor, true. but then, unless its a HUGE revolution, nuttin will get done.

i say we get every university student to march on london dressed as tramps :smile: actually, im a genius, that would be wicked. and then we can all get drunk
Let's all march down to no.10 and shout out what we think about him and his policies:P

BTW, i don't drink so don't really apply to me:P i don't mind a bottle of Lucozade sport though:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 35
lol. that's one thing im apprehensive about at uni - i might have a malibu and pineapple once a week or so... i think going out every night will kill me or at the very least leave me permanently scarred!!!

lucozade is a brand name, so dressed as tramps im afraid you'll have to drink it out of a paper bag :smile:
Reply 36
Hi, I have a question.
Currently I take a london bus to walthamstow central (1 GBP, zone 3), from here i go to kings cross, and then to angel (2.40 GBP, both zone 1).

6.80 GBP a day?

I take this journey to uni 5 days a week, would this oyster card benefit me at all?

Thanks in advance,
Ben :smile:
Reply 37
nebno6

I take this journey to uni 5 days a week, would this oyster card benefit me at all?

Thanks in advance,
Ben :smile:

No, not to my knowledge. The 18+ Student Oyster Card only gets you benefits on buying travelcards or long-term tickets.
Reply 38
If you take the bus everyday and the tube it's worth getting a weekly or monthly travelcard. You get a discount on it and don't need to constantly top up or buy a ticket everyday.
Reply 39
when you are applying for the 18+ oyster, it asks for student enrolment number...is that the student number given by royal holloway?

Latest

Trending

Trending