A Level History and A Level Government and Politics

Watch
a.ahmed17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I am going to start Sixth form in September (fingers crossed) and am torn between A-Level History and Government and Politics so I've turned to TSR for advice, if you have studied either of these subjects can you let me know how you have found it and whether you would recommend?
Here are the exam boards, History - OCR and Politics - AQA
Any advice is appreciated
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Statistically it is easier to get a better grade in Politics but that probably doesn't have as big an effect as how much you like the subject and how good the teaching is.
a.ahmed17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Statistically it is easier to get a better grade in Politics but that probably doesn't have as big an effect as how much you like the subject and how good the teaching is.
Thanks! I think I’m going to research now and see in September because we can change in the first few weeks, that way I can see which of the two has “better” teaching I think.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I found A level History interesting and okay to handle if you dont fall behind. I dont recommend it if you dont find any of the topics interesting at all.
justjas33
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Originally I chose History, Politics and Law for my a levels but after a week I dropped Politics because it just wasn’t as interesting as I expected! It was pretty boring, and although I’m very interested in politics it made me realise that I much prefer to educate myself on it and keep up with it on my own accord....maybe you could consider whether you’re the same or not? I also found that Law covered enough politics for me to feel fulfilled!

I love History, and at a level can it actually be very political. For example, I do Germany from 1918-1964 (or ‘65) and those periods are massive on politics as well as WW2 obvs. Civil Rights in America (which I’ll start in y13) is also pretty politically centred. But, rambling aside, the point I’m trying to make is that History can definitely fulfil your interest in Politics but I guess only you can decide whether that’ll be enough! I’m on OCR for History btw (and for the week and a bit I did Politics it was on AQA).
Do you know what topics your sixth form do for History?
Last edited by justjas33; 3 months ago
a.ahmed17
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
I found A level History interesting and okay to handle if you dont fall behind. I dont recommend it if you dont find any of the topics interesting at all.
Thanks! I’ve started to research the topics beforehand, the first unit is Tudors and I find it interesting, I also like the range of periods in history you can choose from for your coursework, tbh I’m leaning a lot more towards history. Thanks again
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by a.ahmed17)
Thanks! I’ve started to research the topics beforehand, the first unit is Tudors and I find it interesting, I also like the range of periods in history you can choose from for your coursework, tbh I’m leaning a lot more towards history. Thanks again
That's good then as that's a good way to see if the topics are for you. I also enjoyed Tudors and the coursework is fairly flexible.
a.ahmed17
Rep:
?
(Original post by justjas33)
Originally I chose History, Politics and Law for my a levels but after a week I dropped Politics because it just wasn’t as interesting as I expected! It was pretty boring, and although I’m very interested in politics it made me realise that I much prefer to educate myself on it and keep up with it on my own accord....maybe you could consider whether you’re the same or not? I also found that Law covered enough politics for me to feel fulfilled!

I love History, and at a level can it actually be very political. For example, I do Germany from 1918-1964 (or ‘65) and those periods are massive on politics as well as WW2 obvs. Civil Rights in America (which I’ll start in y13) is also pretty politically centred. But, rambling aside, the point I’m trying to make is that History can definitely fulfil your interest in Politics but I guess only you can decide whether that’ll be enough! I’m on OCR for History btw (and for the week and a bit I did Politics it was on AQA).
Do you know what topics your sixth form do for History?
Thank you so much! I’ve started looking at the content for both the a levels and I do find history more interesting, at GCSEs history was one of my favourites I only considered politics because I enjoy day to day politics and debates etc, the topics the course has are “Medieval England”, “Tudor England” and “20th Century Russia” looking at unrest and revolts in each period alongside coursework looking and rebellions and revolts in a period of time of your choice. In all honesty I am leaning towards History because I started the course of Politics and it’s quite dull.
I did really want to study law but the sixth form I’m planning on going to doesn’t offer it as a subject
Once again thank you so much for your advice
Last edited by a.ahmed17; 3 months ago
a.ahmed17
Rep:
?
That's good then as that's a good way to see if the topics are for you. I also enjoyed Tudors and the coursework is fairly flexible.
Yeah as lame as it sounds I did get excited at the different choices offered for the coursework lol, how did you find the subjects you studied?
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah as lame as it sounds I did get excited at the different choices offered for the coursework lol, how did you find the subjects you studied?
The topics of History or my other A levels?
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I am going to start Sixth form in September (fingers crossed) and am torn between A-Level History and Government and Politics so I've turned to TSR for advice, if you have studied either of these subjects can you let me know how you have found it and whether you would recommend?
Hey! I did OCR A-Level history and I did Britain 1930-1997 (Unit 1), Russia 1894-1941 (Unit 2) and Tudor Foreign Policy (Unit 3). I found Unit 3 quite difficult because for the topic we were studying, there wasn't an official OCR textbook for it so we had to use other resources related to the topic so that was a struggle. Also to write thematically and use synthesis can be tricky and takes a lot of time to master. I actually did worse in Unit 2 because the way it's assessed is essentially 100% knowledge so your knowledge on that unit's topic must be pretty good. At the time of studying the chosen topic for Unit 2, OCR had a very dense textbook for the topic which didn't help but they have since introduced a textbook similar to Unit 1 which arranges the content in a much clearer manner. Having said that, the denser textbook does help if you want to include extra precise details to impress the examiner. Anyways although A-Level history sounds demanding (it defo is) from what I've said, I quite enjoyed studying the subject at GCSE and A-Level even though I'm not studying it at degree level.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey a.ahmed17!

I studied both Politics and History for A-Levels and thoroughly enjoyed them both! I had never studied Politics before sixth form and loved it that much I ended up going to university to study International Relations and Politics!

What other subjects are you studying and do you know what your plans after sixth form are?

If you know what your modules will be for History you could check them out and see if they interest you, which could help you choose between the two!

They are pretty similar in workload and assessments and both require significant knowledge on case studies and events, so lots of revision, but if you're willing to put in the work you'll do great

If you have any specific questions about either of the subjects I'd love to help!

Courtney -- Official Student Rep
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you so much! I’ve started looking at the content for both the a levels and I do find history more interesting, at GCSEs history was one of my favourites I only considered politics because I enjoy day to day politics and debates etc, the topics the course has are “Medieval England”, “Tudor England” and “20th Century Russia” looking at unrest and revolts in each period alongside coursework looking and rebellions and revolts in a period of time of your choice. In all honesty I am leaning towards History because I started the course of Politics and it’s quite dull.
I did really want to study law but the sixth form I’m planning on going to doesn’t offer it as a subject
Once again thank you so much for your advice
Oohh 20th Century Russia will be lots of fun! Kinda wish we did that instead of Germany😅 (as like most people I did it for GCSE) I do Tudors as well, early Tudors to be exact. Those topics sound v interesting overall!
I mean I totally agree with you, but I’m a tad biased haha. Imo if you already find it quite dull it’s more likely than not that you’ll continue to find it dull. If you’re still not sure maybe continue with the course a little, but I honestly can’t argue for Politics too much😂
No worries, good luck!
a.ahmed17
Rep:
?
The topics of History or my other A levels?
Both I guess lmao
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Both I guess lmao
I found Germany more interesting than Tudors (I just don't like Henry VIII too much to be honest so maybe that's why). However I genuinely love History. For coursework, I enjoy learning about industrial revolution but Istg if I look about potato consumption one more time I just cant - I'm finding it stressful to write and get all my resources done in time though. For maths, it's alright I just need to catch up but I like doing the questions. For physics, It's interesting but it's hard to understand the concepts so I need to work on that.
a.ahmed17
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Hey! I did OCR A-Level history and I did Britain 1930-1997 (Unit 1), Russia 1894-1941 (Unit 2) and Tudor Foreign Policy (Unit 3). I found Unit 3 quite difficult because for the topic we were studying, there wasn't an official OCR textbook for it so we had to use other resources related to the topic so that was a struggle. Also to write thematically and use synthesis can be tricky and takes a lot of time to master. I actually did worse in Unit 2 because the way it's assessed is essentially 100% knowledge so your knowledge on that unit's topic must be pretty good. At the time of studying the chosen topic for Unit 2, OCR had a very dense textbook for the topic which didn't help but they have since introduced a textbook similar to Unit 1 which arranges the content in a much clearer manner. Having said that, the denser textbook does help if you want to include extra precise details to impress the examiner. Anyways although A-Level history sounds demanding (it defo is) from what I've said, I quite enjoyed studying the subject at GCSE and A-Level even though I'm not studying it at degree level.
Thank you so much! I do think it will be challenging but I find the content interesting opposed to politics which in all honesty I’ve read up on the first few modules and I find it a tad dull, for GCSEs I found revising content for history fun but skill building difficult but I’m hoping to build on that during a levels, if you don’t mind me asking have you got any advice for beginning a level history? Any way to make the workload easier further down the line, a levels seem intimidating and I fear the jump will be massive considering I’ve been at home doing nothing for a while loll, once again thank you!
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you so much! I do think it will be challenging but I find the content interesting opposed to politics which in all honesty I’ve read up on the first few modules and I find it a tad dull, for GCSEs I found revising content for history fun but skill building difficult but I’m hoping to build on that during a levels, if you don’t mind me asking have you got any advice for beginning a level history? Any way to make the workload easier further down the line, a levels seem intimidating and I fear the jump will be massive considering I’ve been at home doing nothing for a while loll, once again thank you!
No worries. I forgot to add that I wanted to study A-Level politics alongside A-Level history but my school didn't offer it so I did A-Level sociology instead and there was a bit of politics in one of the history modules I did.

As for beginning A-Level history, try to not panic and worry too much because your teacher will teach you the techniques to answer the different types of questions from sources, interpretations to general essay questions. I guess what you could do now is to complete any holiday work they've set (if they did set any) and if you know the topics you'll be studying you could watch something related to the topic/read something related to the topic to get some contextual knowledge. E.g. for Britain 1930-1997, I would definitely recommend watching The Crown because the seasons do kinda relate to the topic.
a.ahmed17
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey a.ahmed17!

I studied both Politics and History for A-Levels and thoroughly enjoyed them both! I had never studied Politics before sixth form and loved it that much I ended up going to university to study International Relations and Politics!

What other subjects are you studying and do you know what your plans after sixth form are?

If you know what your modules will be for History you could check them out and see if they interest you, which could help you choose between the two!

They are pretty similar in workload and assessments and both require significant knowledge on case studies and events, so lots of revision, but if you're willing to put in the work you'll do great

If you have any specific questions about either of the subjects I'd love to help!

Courtney -- Official Student Rep
Thank you for replying!
I’m planning on studying Literature and Psychology and then either history or politics, after a levels I’m not too sure right now but I am considering law as a career path, I’m disappointed I can’t do it for a levels (my sixth form doesn’t offer it)

I know the modules for history and I’ve started reading up on them and I find them interesting, I love history in general and like learning about the past, so for gcse I enjoyed content revisions the part I’m bad at is exam skills and source work but hopefully practice will make perfect

If you don’t mind me asking, what would you recommend going into a level history? What method of revising do you find effective ( I know this will be different for everyone but I’m trying to find what works for me lmao) and how do you develop exam writing skills? You don’t have to answer, I appreciate your advice thank you once again!
a.ahmed17
Rep:
?
I found Germany more interesting than Tudors (I just don't like Henry VIII too much to be honest so maybe that's why). However I genuinely love History. For coursework, I enjoy learning about industrial revolution but Istg if I look about potato consumption one more time I just cant - I'm finding it stressful to write and get all my resources done in time though. For maths, it's alright I just need to catch up but I like doing the questions. For physics, It's interesting but it's hard to understand the concepts so I need to work on that.
Henry viii doesn’t seem like a cool guy, I’m not sure if I’m doing early tudors or tudors but one of them two, Maths and physics? I would be lying if I said both those subjects don’t scare me, I’m a crap at maths lmao for a levels I’m doing lit psych and history. Right I’m waffling, good luck with your a levels!!
a.ahmed17
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
No worries. I forgot to add that I wanted to study A-Level politics alongside A-Level history but my school didn't offer it so I did A-Level sociology instead and there was a bit of politics in one of the history modules I did.

As for beginning A-Level history, try to not panic and worry too much because your teacher will teach you the techniques to answer the different types of questions from sources, interpretations to general essay questions. I guess what you could do now is to complete any holiday work they've set (if they did set any) and if you know the topics you'll be studying you could watch something related to the topic/read something related to the topic to get some contextual knowledge. E.g. for Britain 1930-1997, I would definitely recommend watching The Crown because the seasons do kinda relate to the topic.
I could do both politics and history but I’m set on psych and lit, anyways I have the option to change in the first month or so I’m just overthinking now lmao, yeah there isn’t much work set just a few podcasts and videos, I’ll make sure to check out Crown, I’ve started watching Reign acting like it’s “productive” even though we aren’t studying that time period lol
Thanks for your advice! Good luck with your studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (183)
14.27%
I'm not sure (59)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (377)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (626)
48.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed