Turn on thread page Beta

Mobile phone abroad watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping someone can help me here
    Basically, I'm going to Germany on placement for 3 months in October. I'm currently on Orange dolphin 35 and wondering what to do about calls and texts back home - do the free texts and minutes only count in the UK?

What would you guys do when going abroad? I don't even know where to start

ReputationRep:
    Yep, only count in the UK.

First, ring the network and ask them how much it will cost out there, and weather theres any special deals. On O2, I keep my free texts when abroad, but it takes 4 from my allowance not 1. Then weigh up what its going to cost. I wouldn't call home on it. Use Skype or a phonecard - very popular abroad.

Orange may allow you to put your contract on hold for 3 months. But I don't know the ins and outs.

Also, if you want to keep your mobile out there, get a local PAYG SIM, for general chatting while out there. Its cheaper for calls within germany.

Thats a start anyway, need any more help, just post back.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't take your phone you will get huuuge bills! Orange are far behind when it comes to overseas costs. I would reccomend doing whats called a "temporary disconnection" for 3 months that will completly cut you off, then I would buy phonecards over there. If not buy a cheep payg sim.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.