SteamedBuns
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am a student going into my third year studying physics at university. My course has an integrated Masters, and although I do enjoy studying physics, consulting is definitely what I want to go into after I graduate so I have been thinking about doing a Masters in finance/management or something similar. I have three options, each with pros and cons:

Option 1 - Path of least resistance -> stay on my course and do the integrated Masters

pros:
No application needed, just need to get a 2:1 this year which should be okay (I have achieved a low 2:1 for the past two years)
Counts as undergraduate Masters so I can cover the whole thing with student loan

cons:
1/3 of the marks is from a research project and I don't like labs
Content of the course is very very challenging - highly theoretical stuff and so much contact hours and much harder than any financial degrees for sure

Option 2 - Do a Masters elsewhere (something financial)

pros:
New uni (most likely), fresh start
Can learn knowledge that is more applicable to consulting

cons:
EXPENSIVE
I have a low 2:1 so far so a bit dicey whether unis will accept me
currently I am studying at a good uni and realistically the unis that will accept me will be a downgrade (I hear uni is important in consulting)

Option 3 - Do a Second Specific Degree at my uni

They offer a Management Studies degree which you can transition into if you are going into your final year. I will essentially have a Bachelor's in Physics and another one in Management Studies (It is a one-year Bachelors)

pros:
probably same price as integrated Masters - get student loans
knowledge more applicable to consulting

cons:
No Masters - I would have two Bachelors
Might be hard to get into - since this is one programme at one uni (but it is only open to students at the uni I think)

Any advice would be highly appreciated! And if the second option, which Masters are the best?
Last edited by SteamedBuns; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (156)
14.51%
I'm not sure (46)
4.28%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (320)
29.77%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.79%
I'm not a current university student (523)
48.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise