The Student Room Group

student loan household income

My parents have run a small business for 25 years and their profit fluctuates considerably - the business had losses in 2014/15, 2016/17, and then profits in the following years.
For income tax purposes, their losses in previous years are offset against their subsequent profits. The net figure is then their taxable income for the relevant year.
Student Finance England's online instructions state that the relevant figure you require is "your household's taxable income".
However, your application form requires my parents to state the Box 16 profit on Tax Return form SA104F. However this is not their taxable income because it omits to deduct the losses shown in the next Box - no. 17 which is the losses from the previous years.
Could SFE confirm that the relevant figure for household income for Student Loan purposes is the TAXABLE income for the year and that therefore the relevant box on Tax Return Form 104F should be Box 18 which is the "Taxable Profit" as described in the Tax Return and not Box 16 which totally disregards the actual state of the business, which is trying to recoup losses in earlier years?
Original post by Beccie G
My parents have run a small business for 25 years and their profit fluctuates considerably - the business had losses in 2014/15, 2016/17, and then profits in the following years.
For income tax purposes, their losses in previous years are offset against their subsequent profits. The net figure is then their taxable income for the relevant year.
Student Finance England's online instructions state that the relevant figure you require is "your household's taxable income".
However, your application form requires my parents to state the Box 16 profit on Tax Return form SA104F. However this is not their taxable income because it omits to deduct the losses shown in the next Box - no. 17 which is the losses from the previous years.
Could SFE confirm that the relevant figure for household income for Student Loan purposes is the TAXABLE income for the year and that therefore the relevant box on Tax Return Form 104F should be Box 18 which is the "Taxable Profit" as described in the Tax Return and not Box 16 which totally disregards the actual state of the business, which is trying to recoup losses in earlier years?

Hi Beccie,
The sponsor should confirm their total taxable profits received. This is their total taxable profit minus allowable expenses, this is considered net income.
If they provide their gross income they should declare their total allowable expenses, this is part of their Self Assessed Tax Return (SATR).

I will paste the guidance notes which are available on the PFF2 http://ow.ly/opMD30qijXx form below which can assist you..
Thanks, Isaac

Total adjusted profit for businesses
You should include the income type below as your answer for the total amount of adjusted profits you
received from self-employment during the 2017-18 tax year.
Total adjusted profits from this business (aggregated for multiple self employments)
b Total adjusted profit from partnerships
You should include the income type(s) below as your answer for the total adjusted profit you received
from partnerships during the 2017-18 tax year.
Share of total taxed and untaxed income other than that taxable at 10% and 20%
Your share of total adjusted profit from the partnerships
If you are Self Assessed
Online tax return
You would have been asked these questions as part of your assessment. You should refer to your saved
online tax return for these individual figures.

Paper tax return
The locations of where to find these individual figures on your completed tax form(s) and how to work this
amount out are detailed below:
Short paper tax return - If you completed a short
paper return you would not have had any
self-employment income from partnerships.
Full paper tax return - SA104F (Box 16 plus Box 19 plus Box 67 plus Box 74 minus Box 75),
SA104S (Box 16 plus Box 19)

If you are Self Assessed
Online tax return
You would have been asked this question as part of your assessment. You should refer to your saved
online tax return for these figures.

Paper tax return
The locations of where to find these individual figures on your completed tax form(s) and how to work this
amount out are detailed below:
Short paper tax return - SA200 Box 3.9
Full paper tax return - SA103F (Box 73 plus Box 75) or SA103S (Box 28 plus Box 30) or SA103L
(Box 49 minus Box 50)
Reply 2

Hi Isaac

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am pleased to see that you confirm that the relevant income to be declared for student loan purposes is "total taxable profit minus allowable expenses" and that "if they provide their gross income, they should declare their total allowable expenses".

My parents declared their gross income and deducted the allowable expense of their loss incurred from the business in the previous year - this is an allowable expense for tax purposes and is shown on the SATR Partnership Form SA104S at Box 17.

However, your guidance on your application forms erroneously ignore Box 17 losses, and only ask for the amount shown in Box 16. Box 18 is in fact the actual Box that shows the partnership profit after the allowable expenses shown in Box 17. This to my mind is an error in your guidance - you shouldn't be asking for Box 16 - you should be asking for Box 18 because that is the figure that takes into account the allowable expenses of the loss from the previous year.

Box 18 on the Form 104S even calls itself the "taxable profit" - but Box 16 only calls itself the "adjusted profit"!

Do you see my point? You have confirmed in your reply below that SFE require the taxable profit for the relevant year, and Box 18 is the "taxable profit" - not Box 16!

Could you confirm that SFE accepts that the net taxable income is indeed the Box 18 taxable profit figure.

SFE is going on Box 16 adjusted profits and not Box 18 taxable profits in assessing my loan, and this leads to an inequitable outcome where my my loan entitlement is much reduced but my parents do not have the resources to subsidize me because they are still trying to repay business losses from previous years from their current profit?

Do you understand that their is a clear contradiction in your guidance - Box 16 is not their taxable income - but Box 18 is their taxable income!

kind regards

Beccie
Beccie
Hi Isaac

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am pleased to see that you confirm that the relevant income to be declared for student loan purposes is "total taxable profit minus allowable expenses" and that "if they provide their gross income, they should declare their total allowable expenses".

My parents declared their gross income and deducted the allowable expense of their loss incurred from the business in the previous year - this is an allowable expense for tax purposes and is shown on the SATR Partnership Form SA104S at Box 17.

However, your guidance on your application forms erroneously ignore Box 17 losses, and only ask for the amount shown in Box 16. Box 18 is in fact the actual Box that shows the partnership profit after the allowable expenses shown in Box 17. This to my mind is an error in your guidance - you shouldn't be asking for Box 16 - you should be asking for Box 18 because that is the figure that takes into account the allowable expenses of the loss from the previous year.

Box 18 on the Form 104S even calls itself the "taxable profit" - but Box 16 only calls itself the "adjusted profit"!

Do you see my point? You have confirmed in your reply below that SFE require the taxable profit for the relevant year, and Box 18 is the "taxable profit" - not Box 16!

Could you confirm that SFE accepts that the net taxable income is indeed the Box 18 taxable profit figure.

SFE is going on Box 16 adjusted profits and not Box 18 taxable profits in assessing my loan, and this leads to an inequitable outcome where my my loan entitlement is much reduced but my parents do not have the resources to subsidize me because they are still trying to repay business losses from previous years from their current profit?

Do you understand that their is a clear contradiction in your guidance - Box 16 is not their taxable income - but Box 18 is their taxable income!

kind regards

Beccie
Beccie

Hi Beccie, all I am able to confirm is the guidance I already listed above. The sponsor should confirm their total taxable profits received. This is their total taxable profit minus allowable expenses, this is considered net income.

I am not familiar with the tax form or what you can see on there but if you are unsure then you can speak to an accountant.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending