Losing weight

Watch
hereToLoseWeight
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I need advice on how can I lose weight if I’m 143lbs and 5”9 , also need tips how to slim thighs. I don’t know how many calories I should consume (e.g I ate 1951 calories today then burnt 740 calories)
Gabbie Shortie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You're not over-weight for your height at all! I think maybe tone your body would be better? You're at a healthy weight for your height by a lot.
username5212820
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hereToLoseWeight)
I need advice on how can I lose weight if I’m 143lbs and 5”9 , also need tips how to slim thighs. I don’t know how many calories I should consume (e.g I ate 1951 calories today then burnt 740 calories)
You're not overweight at all and don't need to lose any weight. All you need to do is tone your body and build muscle but remember that muscle weighs more than fat.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tamzinp)
You're not overweight at all and don't need to lose any weight. All you need to do is tone your body and build muscle but remember that muscle weighs more than fat.
Dont talk rubbish! They weigh exactly the same; how can 1kg of muscle not be the same as 1kg of fat? The difference is that muscle is denser than fat.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gabbie Shortie)
You're not over-weight for your height at all! I think maybe tone your body would be better? You're at a healthy weight for your height by a lot.
(Original post by Tamzinp)
There's no such thing as toning your body, just building muscle and losing fat. And what hell does muscle being more dense than fat have anything to do with this?
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m gonna tag Nutritionist to give you some real advice regarding food and your weight. Don’t listen to these other bampots talking about toning and muscle weighing more :lol:
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)
There's no such thing as toning your body, just building muscle and losing fat. And what hell does muscle being more dense than fat have anything to do with this?
I was correcting the myth that muscle weighs more than fat, but the difference in density is why losing fat and gaining muscle can change your body shape.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
I was correcting the myth that muscle weighs more than fat, but the difference in density is why losing fat and gaining muscle can change your body shape.
Ik, I agree with everything u said.
Nutritionist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fermion.)
I’m gonna tag Nutritionist to give you some real advice regarding food and your weight. Don’t listen to these other bampots talking about toning and muscle weighing more :lol:
Dax_Swagg3r has covered some of this but yeah, toning isn’t really a thing. When people say “toning” they’re usually referring to improving visible muscle definition but it implies this happens by one singular pathway all at the same time. It doesn’t, you gain muscle or lose fat.

I would agree that for your height you aren’t overweight, you’re well within a healthy range. However, if you want to lose weight that’s on you. So, that being said, if you’re unsure of how many calories to consume you first need to establish what your maintenance level is. That’s the amount of calories you need to eat each day to stay the same weight. You can do this either with an online calculator (will be a rough estimate) or by eating your usual diet for 1-2 weeks, tracking all the calories (not aiming for any number, just counting what you eat each day naturally) and calculating a daily average. Once you have your maintenance level, you’ll need to eat less than this (calorie deficit) to lose weight. I wouldn’t usually recommend losing more than 1% bodyweight per week which in your case would be a maximum of 1.4lbs. This equates to around 4,900 calories per week or 700 per day under your maintenance level. That’s the lowest amount you should eat. You could also eat more than this if you burn more calories through additional exercise. It sound dreadfully complicated so if you’ve any more questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Basically, achieve a calorie deficit by eating less and/or moving more.

In relation to slimming your thighs - you can’t chose where you lose fat. If you lose weight your body will lose fat from multiple places.

Edit: would also add that I’d recommend some form of resistance training and keeping protein intake high (1.6-2.2g per kg bodyweight) if you’re losing weight. This’ll help to retain muscle mass most optimally.
Last edited by Nutritionist; 4 weeks ago
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nutritionist)
Dax_Swagg3r has covered some of this but yeah, toning isn’t really a thing. When people say “toning” they’re usually referring to improving visible muscle definition but it implies this happens by one singular pathway all at the same time. It doesn’t, you gain muscle or lose fat.

I would agree that for your height you aren’t overweight, you’re well within a healthy range. However, if you want to lose weight that’s on you. So, that being said, if you’re unsure of how many calories to consume you first need to establish what your maintenance level is. That’s the amount of calories you need to eat each day to stay the same weight. You can do this either with an online calculator (will be a rough estimate) or by eating your usual diet for 1-2 weeks, tracking all the calories (not aiming for any number, just counting what you eat each day naturally) and calculating a daily average. Once you have your maintenance level, you’ll need to eat less than this (calorie deficit) to lose weight. I wouldn’t usually recommend losing more than 1% bodyweight per week which in your case would be a maximum of 1.4lbs. This equates to around 4,900 calories per week or 700 per day under your maintenance level. That’s the lowest amount you should eat. You could also eat more than this if you burn more calories through additional exercise. It sound dreadfully complicated so if you’ve any more questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Basically, achieve a calorie deficit by eating less and/or moving more.

In relation to slimming your thighs - you can’t chose where you lose fat. If you lose weight your body will lose fat from multiple places.

Edit: would also add that I’d recommend some form of resistance training and keeping protein intake high (1.6-2.2g per kg bodyweight) if you’re losing weight. This’ll help to retain muscle mass most optimally.
Excellent detail. You've got it spot on 🙂.
Nutritionist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gtty123)
Excellent detail. You've got it spot on 🙂.
I try 🤷🏻*♂️😅
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I try 🤷🏻*♂️😅
It's good to have knowledgeable people, about this topic, on this forum. You and Dax_Swagg3r have a good base of knowledge to help people (there are others as well, but it's long to name lol). I've met certain people, not going to name, who don't know what they're talking about. They promote a 'fad diet' or for some reason believe that people can break the law of thermodynamics.
Kirsty798
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Personalllllllly I wouldn't focus on a calorie based view. It's better to focus on eating the right stuff. I'm with Weight Watchers and it teaches you how to have a healthy lifestyle and diet rather than restricting you with numbers - I can definitely recommend it!
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kirsty798)
Personalllllllly I wouldn't focus on a calorie based view. It's better to focus on eating the right stuff. I'm with Weight Watchers and it teaches you how to have a healthy lifestyle and diet rather than restricting you with numbers - I can definitely recommend it!
But, counting calories can help prevent overeating. You do realise that by eating the "right stuff" you can gain weight?
Nutritionist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's good to have knowledgeable people, about this topic, on this forum. You and Dax_Swagg3r have a good base of knowledge to help people (there are others as well, but it's long to name lol). I've met certain people, not going to name, who don't know what they're talking about. They promote a 'fad diet' or for some reason believe that people can break the law of thermodynamics.
Appreciate that 👍🏻

Gotta love the old Keto vs thermodynamics battle 😂
Kirsty798
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
But, counting calories can help prevent overeating. You do realise that by eating the "right stuff" you can gain weight?
You'd have to eat hell of a lot of vegetables to gain weight compared to biscuits though. Plus it doesn't sound like the OP is struggling with 'overeating'. Also - apologies, me saying the 'right stuff' wasn't the right term though sorry! Anything in moderation!
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You'd have to eat hell of a lot of vegetables to gain weight compared to biscuits though. Plus it doesn't sound like the OP is struggling with 'overeating'. Also - apologies, me saying the 'right stuff' wasn't the right term though sorry! Anything in moderation!
I mean, a post about "losing weight" quite clearly implies that OP is overeating and is looking to fix that; it's not unreasonable to assume that.
And it's okay 🙂. You've acknowledged your mistake and I appreciate it.
Nutritionist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If it works for you it works and that’s great.

But numbers don’t have to be restricting at all. Can incorporate any food you want into the “numbers” and there’s no guilt attached. If you limit yourself to the “right foods” but with no numbers then what happens when you fancy a McDonald’s Apple pie?
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Appreciate that 👍🏻

Gotta love the old Keto vs thermodynamics battle 😂
They're annoying to deal with 😂.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I appreciate someone recognizing the effort I put in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (136)
24.64%
Better than expected (121)
21.92%
Worse than expected (295)
53.44%

Watched Threads