deathray65
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So people here always refer to 'HL English' and I have no idea what that means, lol.

I'd really like to apply to a top 10 uni for Law in my undergrad. But I'm having trouble picking a good subject combo.

Here it is:

HL: Lang lit, History, Economics
SL: Spanish B, Biology, Math AA

I'm worried that lang lit will be seen as too 'soft' of a subject for unis like Oxford or UCL.

What is your input?
VanillaCream
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd say it won't matter, there are probably more similarities than differences in those courses, but at the same time Lit is said to be kinda harder I think - you need to read more books and analyse more literary things than in Lang&Lit. I personally know people who got into Oxford for law with English Lang&Lit and it was fine, so if you think this one will be easier for you, take it
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by deathray65)
So people here always refer to 'HL English' and I have no idea what that means, lol.

I'd really like to apply to a top 10 uni for Law in my undergrad. But I'm having trouble picking a good subject combo.

Here it is:

HL: Lang lit, History, Economics
SL: Spanish B, Biology, Math AA

I'm worried that lang lit will be seen as too 'soft' of a subject for unis like Oxford or UCL.

What is your input?
Hi there, I think the whole 'Lang Lit' is 'too soft' idea is a misconception, especially if you're doing HL LAL. While it's true that you'd have to read more lit texts for pure Lit, the non-fiction textual analysis skills involved for LAL are no less rigorous than the fiction / poetry ones for Lit. So I honestly wouldn't worry!
kibbi.x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think HL Lang&Lit should be enough to prove your English abilities, plus the literature course is more orientated to the literary/larger implications, which may not be as relevant to the English skills used in the law degree as the Lang&Lit course. Also, the Lang&Lit course is generally easier to get a 7, so I will definitely recommend HL Lang&Lit.
deathray65
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by kibbi.x)
I think HL Lang&Lit should be enough to prove your English abilities, plus the literature course is more orientated to the literary/larger implications, which may not be as relevant to the English skills used in the law degree as the Lang&Lit course. Also, the Lang&Lit course is generally easier to get a 7, so I will definitely recommend HL Lang&Lit.
Since lit is more difficult wouldn't universities hold it in higher regard?
VanillaCream
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by deathray65)
Since lit is more difficult wouldn't universities hold it in higher regard?
no, I don't think unis for sure know that this is harder and it honestly doesn't make such a difference, as kibbi.x said lang&lit might be even more useful. it is way better to take a bit easier subject and get a better grade (especially since the difference is not too big)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
14.93%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.77%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.76%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.6%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.43%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.15%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.36%

Watched Threads