Is student halls cheaper than accommodation in 2nd year?

Watch
Liz.Binnie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I’m going to uni in September (hopefully if I get the grades) and with the maintenance loan I can’t even pay rent. I’ve a loan of £4K and the rent is £6.5k. Do a lot of students have jobs while at uni? And if so what’re the possible jobs? Also one question I had was do the accommodation fees for a term get taken out of your Maintenance loan at the start of each term?

I’m sorry if these questions are stupid 😂 any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Liz.Binnie)
So I’m going to uni in September (hopefully if I get the grades) and with the maintenance loan I can’t even pay rent. I’ve a loan of £4K and the rent is £6.5k. Do a lot of students have jobs while at uni? And if so what’re the possible jobs? Also one question I had was do the accommodation fees for a term get taken out of your Maintenance loan at the start of each term?

I’m sorry if these questions are stupid 😂 any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated
There's many jobs, most people I know had a job in retail to help pay for the rent.

You can usually set the frequency the fees come out, you can most likely arrange for the maintenance loan to come out at the start of each term - I'd throw that question to the accomodation team though.
Igotbbcalevel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
retail job is common. if you want a job you will be able to get one
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
In terms of second year accommodation, generally private rents (shared houses off campus) are cheaper than university student halls. However for some cities the difference is negligible - for example my home town (Cambridge) has astronomical rent prices so you'd not really be any better than staying in halls. Also you have to factor in extra transport if private houses are further away and the inconvenience of that. Really depends on the general cost of housing in your chosen university town and comparing that with student halls.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Hey Liz.Binnie!

I was in the same situation for first year so I completely understand where you are coming from!

First of all, can your parents help to cover the difference in your accommodation costs which aren't covered by the loan? as this would definitely help

As for a job, you could try to work for the uni, these are normally flexible but well paid jobs that fit around your studies so that's definitely something to consider. Otherwise you could consider retail etc

I personally find it really helpful to get a summer job each summer so that I can save money to use for the next year at uni, also having a student bank account with an interest free overdraft helps too

As for your accommodation, you will most likely pay by direct debit, but check with the housing team!

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Liz.Binnie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey Liz.Binnie!

I was in the same situation for first year so I completely understand where you are coming from!

First of all, can your parents help to cover the difference in your accommodation costs which aren't covered by the loan? as this would definitely help

As for a job, you could try to work for the uni, these are normally flexible but well paid jobs that fit around your studies so that's definitely something to consider. Otherwise you could consider retail etc

I personally find it really helpful to get a summer job each summer so that I can save money to use for the next year at uni, also having a student bank account with an interest free overdraft helps too

As for your accommodation, you will most likely pay by direct debit, but check with the housing team!

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Thanks for responding

The thing is that I don’t want to ask them too much but there is a lot at the same time. For me my firm choice is from home so I don’t have to worry about it unless I don’t get the grades (50-50 chance)

But if the time comes then they probably will help.

And I’m definitely planning on getting job in the summer next year or maybe soon cos that’d be really helpful

And what type of jobs can you do at uni? I know you can be an ambassador and help out with open days and events.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Hey Liz.Binnie,

A good amount of students that I know do have jobs to help them out a bit. You can get jobs often on campus with the uni or in your local town/city. I am currently working as a student ambassador for the uni but other students I know to work in the bars/cafe teams etc. You could work during the summer and earn money to help you that way. However, I would say that the majority of people do need their parents to support financially during uni to cover the cost of it.

In my experience, you had to manually pay the accommodation each term but it could be different for you.

Hope this helps you! Let me know if you have any questions.😊
From,

Amina - Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads