The Student Room Group

Access to HE and Universal Credit

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this issue. Today I have been informed when I start my college course in September, I will not be eligible for universal credit.

I have signed up to do an Access to HE science course (2 days a week) the college classes this course as 'full time' but with (12 hrs) taught hours and (12 hrs) independent study there will only be a commitment of 24 hrs a week.

I have explained to my 'work coach' that I will continue to apply for work as I have been for 6 months (6 months of rejections thus far) and I have the time to do 30 hrs a week of work whilst studying. She still informed me I would not be eligible.

I have chosen to do this access course in order to continue onto Radiotherapy & Oncology next September and hopefully will never have to claim universal credit again in my lifetime!

I personally do not want to be on universal credit and have been rejected and ignored for jobs for 6 months straight now. But surely as I am seeking jobs I should be entitled to some form of payment. As we know the jobs market is quite turbulent due to coronavirus.

Anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙏
Original post by Uncertaingoose
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this issue. Today I have been informed when I start my college course in September, I will not be eligible for universal credit.

I have signed up to do an Access to HE science course (2 days a week) the college classes this course as 'full time' but with (12 hrs) taught hours and (12 hrs) independent study there will only be a commitment of 24 hrs a week.

I have explained to my 'work coach' that I will continue to apply for work as I have been for 6 months (6 months of rejections thus far) and I have the time to do 30 hrs a week of work whilst studying. She still informed me I would not be eligible.

I have chosen to do this access course in order to continue onto Radiotherapy & Oncology next September and hopefully will never have to claim universal credit again in my lifetime!

I personally do not want to be on universal credit and have been rejected and ignored for jobs for 6 months straight now. But surely as I am seeking jobs I should be entitled to some form of payment. As we know the jobs market is quite turbulent due to coronavirus.

Anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙏

If you are under 21 I believe you can claim.
If not it is up to you to convince your workcoach that it wont interfere with your work search and that you will be available as soon as you are offered a job and meet your commitments. You should have done it in conjunction with your work coach as they often like to say no.
Original post by 999tigger
If you are under 21 I believe you can claim.
If not it is up to you to convince your workcoach that it wont interfere with your work search and that you will be available as soon as you are offered a job and meet your commitments. You should have done it in conjunction with your work coach as they often like to say no.

Hi thanks for your response!

I was unable to liaise with my work coach between March up until recently in mid July, so by this point I had already accepted a place on the course.

She seemed quite adamant it was out of her hands and that there are 'strict guidelines' but I will take your advice and negotiate with her once I'm in touch again.

My other option was to do the course one day a week on a 2 year basis, but with the current jobs climate I would be reliant on the state for 2 solid year, which does not sit well with me.

Again thanks for taking the time to respond.
Reply 3
Work coaches are awful. Try talking to your college, while the Access course is often officially full time it's usually around 16 hours of class a week. The rules used to be you were only allowed to study part time - 15hrs or less and sign a form stating that you would quit and take any job or training offered by the jobcentre at a moments notice. If you make the college aware of this some are willing to work with you and set your official hours of class to a max of 15 so it is technically part time. You tell the work coach its a part time course that on completion should help you find employment and/or being able to put currently studying such and such on your CV will also help make you more attractive to employers as opposed to a gap in your employment record.
Can't promise this will work though, it really depends on the work coach.
Reply 4
And never tell work coaches about independent study time. Talk to the college first and if they agree to help, argue its a part time 12 hour a week course.
Original post by Uncertaingoose
Hi thanks for your response!

I was unable to liaise with my work coach between March up until recently in mid July, so by this point I had already accepted a place on the course.

She seemed quite adamant it was out of her hands and that there are 'strict guidelines' but I will take your advice and negotiate with her once I'm in touch again.

My other option was to do the course one day a week on a 2 year basis, but with the current jobs climate I would be reliant on the state for 2 solid year, which does not sit well with me.

Again thanks for taking the time to respond.

How old are you?
Thank you for your response!

I'm 27 and living at home with my parents, they are working on low incomes and cannot afford to support me financially (not that I would want or expect that).

I do not have children and I am not disabled. The only money I will receive from student finance is to cover the tuition, an 'advanced learner loan'

Due to coronavirus it will be 12hrs of remote teaching a week. As well as this there won't be a fixed Wednesday/Thursday timetable.

I have a phone appointment with my work coach 12th August to discuss things further. I am hoping she may be more flexible and simultaneously hoping one of my many jobs I've applied for requests an interview if I'm honest!

I just want to say I appreciate any help.
Original post by C. M.
Work coaches are awful. Try talking to your college, while the Access course is often officially full time it's usually around 16 hours of class a week. The rules used to be you were only allowed to study part time - 15hrs or less and sign a form stating that you would quit and take any job or training offered by the jobcentre at a moments notice. If you make the college aware of this some are willing to work with you and set your official hours of class to a max of 15 so it is technically part time. You tell the work coach its a part time course that on completion should help you find employment and/or being able to put currently studying such and such on your CV will also help make you more attractive to employers as opposed to a gap in your employment record.
Can't promise this will work though, it really depends on the work coach.

Thank you for your response!

I know exactly what you mean with it being dependent on the work coach. I will certainly take this on board with my phone appointment 12th August.

If I'm honest it's causing me sleepless nights because I am applying for jobs daily and I would 100% rather be working 16hrs a week or etc than have the trouble of having to convince someone I'm genuinely seeking work and not getting interviews. I don't want to complain too much though, I know in comparison to many others out there my life isn't that bad.
Original post by 999tigger
How old are you?

I'm 27 and living at home with my parents.
Reply 9
@Uncertaingoose honey you have every right to complain I've lived through the same soul sucking hell, the stress is horrific. It's probably worth contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau, they will be up to date with the current rules and regulations and might be able to help with this.
Original post by C. M.
@Uncertaingoose honey you have every right to complain I've lived through the same soul sucking hell, the stress is horrific. It's probably worth contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau, they will be up to date with the current rules and regulations and might be able to help with this.

Thank you, I'm glad you understand how it can be there.

I had been considering citizens advice to be honest with you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending