Sherjamal123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there, Just a question. I'm at second year of my economics degree at Royal Holloway, and I barely have any friends. I think the problem is only with me and not other people, since I have seen almost everyone in groups and really close while I walk alone. I did make some friends, but they are from different student societies...
Legomenon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am, or at least have been for years. I also walked around on my own a lot at uni. I think if you're ok with it then it's fine, but if you do want to make more friends you'll probably need to push yourself outside your comfort zone for a while. Because making friends at school is basically automatic, but at uni you need to be proactive and put in the effort, especially after freshers/first year.
Sherjamal123
Rep:
?
Yeah, but I feel like I have been wasting my international experience. Feels bad without friends tbh, and it's not that I don't make them. I do, but when they call me anywhere, I just don't feel like going.
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mostly yes
username2908878
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am naturally shy but gotta fake it ‘til you make it
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
I am very shy too. sometimes you have to push yourself.
Before 1-2 years ago I would never talk to anyone and read books in my free time. When I stopped doing that I made a lot of friends and realised I had been missing out on a lot.
Sherjamal123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am very shy too. sometimes you have to push yourself.
Before 1-2 years ago I would never talk to anyone and read books in my free time. When I stopped doing that I made a lot of friends and realised I had been missing out on a lot.
How did u start? It's weird to be convo starter these days I swear.
Sherjamal123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Supernova36)
I am naturally shy but gotta fake it ‘til you make it
did you make it? lol

(Original post by SoulfulTwist)
Mostly yes
feels bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yup, not the shy kind tho.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sherjamal123)
did you make it? lol

feels bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No. I prefer it. Except when I need to attend gatherings/functions etc
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
How did u start? It's weird to be convo starter these days I swear.
I think just by interacting. I know what you mean. Im still in secondary tho so that might make a difference. Everybody knew me but stopped bothering to talk to me. ppl would come up to me if i was alone reading a book but i wouldnt really respond so they stopped.
it helps to start convos about a common interest
Sherjamal123
Rep:
?
No. I prefer it. Except when I need to attend gatherings/functions etc
Trust me, I feel you. Since I'm an Asian lol
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
same. and i hate when loads of random old ladies be like ohhh do u remember me? well of course not ive never seen u before unless as a baby. And my parents expects me to interact but i find it so hard to even like greet ppl forget have an entire convo. like im better at school but with strangers no. And if my parents be on the phone to my grandparents or relatives who live in a different country i legit run as far as i can.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Haha Asian gatherings are just the worst IMO but I mean in general even when it is not an Asian gathering. Not because of anxiety and feeling shy though that is also a bit of an aspect sometimes.
Sherjamal123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
same. and i hate when loads of random old ladies be like ohhh do u remember me? well of course not ive never seen u before unless as a baby. And my parents expects me to interact but i find it so hard to even like greet ppl forget have an entire convo. like im better at school but with strangers no. And if my parents be on the phone to my grandparents or relatives who live in a different country i legit run as far as i can.
OMGG same, and the weirdest part is when you don't remember them, and u still pretend like you do. Plus, I swear in Asian families, there is no concept of personal space, and I mean that is what I feel like. If you ask your parents give you a little privacy, they get all emotional and make you feel like u have done something wrong.... AND same, not something I'm proud of, but my Aunt lives in London, and I hardly visit them because I don't feel comfortable I swear and my mom forces me to visit them so much. It gets weird and annoying sometimes.
Sherjamal123
Rep:
?
Haha Asian gatherings are just the worst IMO but I mean in general even when it is not an Asian gathering. Not because of anxiety and feeling shy though that is also a bit of an aspect sometimes.
I mean if you are an Asian, only then you can feel our pain bro. Ngl :/
Black Cat
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm an introvert (INTJ) to be exact I used to go out all the time at uni. I was a popular loner. You need to put yourself out there OP societies are a great place to form social circles. I would also recommend mingling with your uni flatmates that helped me a lot.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I mean if you are an Asian, only then you can feel our pain bro. Ngl :/
I am Asian
*sis
Yas031119
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
meh i just prefer the company of myself
Sherjamal123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Black Cat)
I'm an introvert (INTJ) to be exact I used to go out all the time at uni. I was a popular loner. You need to put yourself out there OP societies are a great place to form social circles. I would also recommend mingling with your uni flatmates that helped me a lot.
Yeah, I think I need to indulge myself into more societies. Definitely something I would be doing this year, and also I have always lived in a studio, but will go for en suite with shared kitchen since I need to make a lot of friends I swear.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (64)
24.06%
Better than expected (56)
21.05%
Worse than expected (146)
54.89%

Watched Threads