Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much would you be prepared to spend on an engagement ring? :o:

Would you want your boyfriend to wear one as well? (girls)

Boys would you be prepared to wear one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicey08)
    Boys would you be prepared to wear one?
    Ha, no. Certainly not. I won't wear a wedding ring either.

ReputationRep:
    It's supposed to be 3 month's salary you spend I think.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping that I'll be engaged to a man who can afford the type of ring I like. Lol.

I can't say I've heard of many men wearing an 'engagement' type ring, though I do like the idea of it - obviously not a diamond ring, but something to signify the engagement might be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdhey89)
    It's supposed to be 3 month's salary you spend I think.
    I read somewhere that "convention" came about from an advertising campaign for a jewellers - De Deers! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can't tell the difference between a cheap ring and an expensive ring.

...maybe 'my-other-half' should be taking note.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care how much my guy spends as long as the ring doesn't *look* cheap.

If he *wanted* to wear one I wouldn't mind, but it's not really conventional so I wouldn't mind if he didn't either :p: I might mind if he refused to wear a wedding ring though.

I would never marry a guy who wasn't willing to spend at least £50k on a ring. :no:

Or, alternatively, something pretty that he chose himself. :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    It's really cheap, but I like this one. I though it was supposed to be one month's salary.

ReputationRep:
    How much is that one then?

I'm the same as flushthesystem, I dont think I could tell the difference between an expensive or a cheap ring.

I've seen loads of rings that are less than £200 but to me still look really nice lol.

ReputationRep:
    engaement ring- apprently its traditional to spend 1 to 2 months salray on the ring, and as you can get them from £300 ish to £30000 there is something for everyone

ReputationRep:
    To me it doesn't matter the cost as long as the one I love gave it to me.. Why should it?!

Yes I'd love it if he'd wear and engagement ring..
    But he has no choise on the wedding ring! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Heres you lot going on about the price of an engagement ring and me thinking that its what it symbolises is far more improtant than the price!....I wouldnt have cared if my engagement ring had been off a coke can to be honest. . Mine wasnt expensive at all. My husband doesnt wear a wedding ring as he hates jewelry.

ReputationRep:
    As long as it doesnt look cheap I don't care what it costs.

And good LORD no, why would a bloke wear one? Cringe.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A month's salary, and it had better look damn good I wouldn't expect him to wear one, but I would expect him to wear a wedding ring.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with that I was just wondering. I think I would want my husband to wear one but I dont really know why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicey08)
    How much is that one then?

I'm the same as flushthesystem, I dont think I could tell the difference between an expensive or a cheap ring.

I've seen loads of rings that are less than £200 but to me still look really nice lol.
    £150

As to those that say it's a symbol of your love, I guess it's something you wear for the rest of your life and so I'd want it to be good quality.

ReputationRep:
    Well as I said in my earlier post mine wasnt expensive and I"ve had it 14 years without so much as a scratch on it.

ReputationRep:
    Anything from tiffany's and co or a diamond which is 1 carat or more is good for me. My future boyfriend will know exactly what i want because I spend a lot of time looking at the tiffany and co website and diamond rings.

ReputationRep:
    There's more to good jewellery than Tiffany's...I don't understand why people get these obsessions with one brand...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.