Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have had an place accepted on a sports studies course, but now i am having doubts on what career i would like to go ahead with.
    I have always had a passion within sport, but their are not many high paying jobs within it.
    So i was considering taking up quantity surveying.
    There are 2 courses i could apply to change to, these are "quantity surveying" or "quantity surveying and commercial management"
    Which would you recomend would leave me in good stead for a high paying job?

Does anyone know a quantity surveyer? what are their hours like? do they enjoy their job?

And if possible, i do know stuff about this course, but could someone please tell me the ins and outs of a quantity surveyor.

This is all rushed and in a heap as i have a few days left to decide what i want to do.

Thanks in advance
    Jack

ReputationRep:
    which uni(s)?

...http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/...es/profile467/

ReputationRep:
    wolverhampton

ReputationRep:
    I've had a fair few friends do sport and they're all worried what they're gonna do after uni. Have a look at QS, do your own research, if you like the look of it, and you think you'll enjoy it go for it. I think job prospects will be better for you.

ReputationRep:
    If you are really passionate about going far with sport then you will find a well paid job, you have to put the effort in though, its not just going to turn up. Someone else a few days ago was saying the same thing about the salary, but to be honest if you're doubting your choice because of money then you can't really be that motivated to pursue a career in sport. Would you rather be happy in an average paid job or bored in a well paid job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penkwolf)
    i have had an place accepted on a sports studies course, but now i am having doubts on what career i would like to go ahead with.
    I have always had a passion within sport, but their are not many high paying jobs within it.
    So i was considering taking up quantity surveying.
    There are 2 courses i could apply to change to, these are "quantity surveying" or "quantity surveying and commercial management"
    Which would you recomend would leave me in good stead for a high paying job?

Does anyone know a quantity surveyer? what are their hours like? do they enjoy their job?

And if possible, i do know stuff about this course, but could someone please tell me the ins and outs of a quantity surveyor.

This is all rushed and in a heap as i have a few days left to decide what i want to do.

Thanks in advance
    Jack
    I'm a QS. I hate my job and work 72 hour weeks. I'd rather clean out the elephant house at the city zoo tbh. The only compensation I get for my sad career choice is earning a six figure salary.

ReputationRep:
    hmm is that sarcasm or do you really hate it? it cant be that bad?

ReputationRep:
    my dads a qs, he's earning 80,000, but says you need a good head for figures and very good spacial awareness. Good at arguing is also very useful. At berkley homes he works 8:30 to 7:30 if he's lucky. Today they wanted him in by 7:15 for a meeting.

He;s moving to bovis where his hours are down to 8:30 - 6:30 but that'll probably change when the olympics get closer.

My dad loved being self employed but has more money working for another company, but hates berkley homes due to the attitude they have. But he does like the job

ReputationRep:
    He is on a fair wack then! i really dont know what course to do!!
    I love sport, but can anyone name me high paying jobs within sports
    , as in high paying, in perspective, i mean mercedes money etc?

Thats why i was lookin at QS as i heard it is good money and seems like something that will intrest me.

Is it competative to get a job in QS?

ReputationRep:
    Umm i think there is a fair bit of competition, as my father says theres nearly always too many ppl for years out in his department, but i dont actually know.

There is a demand for them (or is when the building sector is making money), and especially ones which are capable of setting up good accurate spread sheets in excel, having listened to my father curse one student who tried, but made so many simple mistakes.

Also on the wages, after setting up his own company he moved to mouchels, was head hunted from there by echarris, and again by berkley homes, and now bovis, plus he had other offers in the 2 years he was at berkleys by varying companys.. All have said if you come to us we'll ppay you what you want.

As for sports if you love sports you will enjoy the job more, be better at it as you enjoy it and probably be able to get a decent wage. my fathes 48 and has just reached his wage, but its been over £60,000 for the last 5 years, but he has said before he wouldnt recommend the job if you dont enjoy it or get confused with numbers

ReputationRep:
    Im a trainee QS.. Must say the work is sometimes a bit boring, I work for a QS in Nottingham and go to Uni 1 day a week, the company I work for a sponsoring me so I have no fees to pay and no debts.. I am currently on £12,000 a year and am in my first year of a 5 year training scheme, this is expected to go up by about £2500 a year and when I qualify in 5 years I will be on around £28,000 a year.. My hours are currently 9 - 5, but saying that I dont really have too much work to do.
    The bosses of this company are on around £60,000 and Id say as a guess that they work from about 8 - 6.. Which isnt too bad..
    The hours you work are veyr much dependant on the amount of work that you have done, for example if you have 5 jobs on at once there might be nothing for a few weeks but then you could get hit with 5 valuations that need doing in a week and therfore need to work a Saturday or do an evening or something..

The learn direct job profile is good to look at, I noticed somebody had sent you a link before..

As for enjoying the job.. I love the job..!! I often get to go to construction sites and its great to see building go up from month to month.. Its also good in the sense that you arent always stuck at your desk..

I think whoever that Howard geezer is, hes trying to have a joke.. Firstly, no QS earns over £100,000 unless they work for themselves or are a director of a major company.. Secondly, if he was then why would he be on TSR?? and Thirdly, 72 hours is a pathetic attempt at trying to put you off...

Id say in Sports the best career would probably be a PE teacher or a physio, and even then your still only going to be on £25-30k a year, whereas the average QS salary is between £45-50k a year.. (Nearly £1000 a week..)

You said you want to know the ins and outs of being a QS.. If I was to sit here and tell you this then Id be here all day and what I write would take up about 20 pages lol..
    If you have some time then write to some QS's and try to get some work experience, and/or try and find a place willing to give you a sponsorship like what I do..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stew1988)
    If you have some time then write to some QS's and try to get some work experience, and/or try and find a place willing to give you a sponsorship like what I do..
    thats a good idea, both on the sponsor ship as many bigger companies will if you agree to work with them during and most place ask for 2 years after i think. And the work experiance would also help. If my dad doesnt come back too late i'll see what he says.

ReputationRep:
    thank you , this is alot of help! i have got to decide and ring my uni before 12 tomorow.

Could i take a course for 1 year, then get an apprentiship and do it once a week the year after? as i think i may have left it to late to get an apprentship now.

How do i go about asking companys if they are intrested in taking me on? is their a website?

Also would you recomend Quantity surveying degree? or Quantity surveying and commercial managment degree?

Thanks
    Jack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penkwolf)
    thank you , this is alot of help! i have got to decide and ring my uni before 12 tomorow.

Could i take a course for 1 year, then get an apprentiship and do it once a week the year after? as i think i may have left it to late to get an apprentship now.

How do i go about asking companys if they are intrested in taking me on? is their a website?

Also would you recomend Quantity surveying degree? or Quantity surveying and commercial managment degree?

Thanks
    Jack
    I couldnt see it being a problem if you do a full-time degree for a year and then move to part-time, you would probably be able to enter the part-time degree in either the 2nd or maybe 3rd year, as the part-time course and full-time course share the same modules and content, but just at different stages..
    The fact that you have 1 years 'knowledge' of quantity surveying would most probably make you more employable..

Im not too sure about how you would go about asking people for sponsorships, the way I did it was basically by fluke.. I was planning on starting Uni full-time but thought it would be a good idea to get some work experience first to get a bit of knowledge of the career and a head start if you like.. So I went on www.yell.com and searched for Quantity Surveyors in Nottingham (replace this with your town, obviously..) I then wrote to over 40 companies and I received about 5 or 6 letters saying that unfortunately thay didnt have any work experience at that time.. and then I recieved a phone call from the company I work for now asking if I would be interested in meeting one of the company directors to talk to him about a sponsorship, so I did, went along and found out a bit about what Id be doing and the director seemed to like me, so I jumped at the chance.. Canceled my full-time application and changed it to part-time and never looked back lol.. << Lame!!
    Also, if you do decide to switch courses then spend a fair few hours tommorow afternoon searching for Quantity Surveyors where you live, phone them up and ask if they are taking on any trainees or look on websites such as the Job Centres and search for 'Trainee Quantity Surveyor' or 'Assistant Quantity Surveyor' jobs, you might get lucky..

As far as the courses go, this is the same sort of situation I was faced with and there was no doubt about which course I wanted to do.. Have you ever heard of the RICS or the CIOB.. The RICS are the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, and the CIOB are the Chartered Institute of Building.. Basically, being a Quantity Surveyor it would be much more appreciated if you were a member of the RICS (You can also put MRICS at the end of your name if you are a member - eg, Joe Bloggs MRICS) If I relate to the 2 courses as QS and QSCM, and use Nottingham Trent uni as an example (as thats where I study..)..
    The QS course for Nottingham Trent requires 240 points, and says this -
    Accreditation
    The course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB).

The QSCM course for Nottingham Trent requires 280 points, and says this -
    Accreditation
    The course is fully accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

The placement year counts towards the Assessment of Professional Competence, which leads to Chartered Surveyor status.

Note the amount of UCAS points that you need to get in and who the course is accredited by, and there is no doubt that the QSCM course is much much better than just the QS course.. Becoming a member of the RICS isnt easy. but by doing the QSCM course you are already half way there.

It is my view that by changing course to the QS or QSCM, you know at the end of it that you 'are' going to be a Quantity Surveyor.. Whereas if you pursue in doing the Sports course you are just going to be entering the world of 100s of other young students who have no idea what they are going to end up doing for the next 40 years of their working life..

I hope this helps... Iv still got my letter that I wrote handy, so if you want a copy or if you want anymore help with anything then let me know and Id be more than happy to give as much advice as I can..
    I have also put a few web addresses below that you might find of interest..
    http://www.ciob.org.uk/home
    http://www.rics.org/
    http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/...es/profile467/
    http://www.contractjournal.com/jobs/default.aspx << For jobs
    www.yell.com
    http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html

Good luck.. :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    On applying my father said apply to any of the big companys, and if they dont respond chase them. But Stew1988 has a brilliant reply.

And joining RICS is apparently one of the reasons my father gets chased as they know you are of a certain standard.

but go stew... he's got the best advise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    On applying my father said apply to any of the big companys, and if they dont respond chase them. But Stew1988 has a brilliant reply.

And joining RICS is apparently one of the reasons my father gets chased as they know you are of a certain standard.

Thanks..
    Ye, by joining the RICS you are becoming a Chartered Surveyor, which means you are regarded as being very good at what you do.. This in turn will lead to a bigger salary, and being put on bigger and better projects..

But thats a different subject..

ReputationRep:
    stew 1988 you are a saviour!!

I cannot thank you enough for the advice, i owe u a pint! lol

yes please if you could send me your letter it would be much apprecieted so i can get the jist.

Many thanks
    Jack

p.s ill try and pm you my email address

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)

Thanks for the rep!!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.