Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am soon to start my LLB at Westminster. I thought having completed this, that furthering my studies through a masters would probably be beneficial in securing lucrative employment at the bar. Do any of you know what my chances of getting into an Oxbridge or high ranking UOL University to do masters would be? Considering I get a first. Also, would it really matter to employers that I obtained my undergrad from an ex poly if I was achieve a postgrad at one of the above mentioned unis? Any information would be much appreciated as I am now seriously considering my options in this matter…

ReputationRep:
    If you get a first then there will no problem.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, quite a relief. Do you have any experience with this situation or know of any who has?

ReputationRep:
    Well plenty of people go on to Oxbridge with firsts in law from other universities - your undergrad university really doesn't form a major part of the admissions process. However getting a first in law is no mean feat! Only 3% of Westminster lawyers graduated with a first last year, so don't count your chickens and all that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate, again very helpfull. Im sure getting a first is no walk in the park but good to know I still have options available. Do you think employers at the bar would concentrate more on the post grad then where you did the initial degree?

ReputationRep:
    Hi - someone else has posted a similar question and I've replied with a bit of research - maybe you could take a look as some of the links and information may be helpful to you - all the best.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post14094265

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it at all. Jumping up/dropping down the league tables is a regular occurrence when it comes to postgraduate courses and, as it happens, I am hoping to make the same move (from lower league table to Oxbridge for LLM/BCL) come September 2009 after graduating this year so am in the process of preparing my applications for the October opening. We will have to wait and see if I can be heralded as any sort of success but I did have a meeting with a couple of Profs before I left Uni, expressing (what I guess are) similar concerns to those you have (ie. Do you stand a decent chance with your ex poly/new university degree?) and, to quote one who is a Research Fellow at Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, (and known to be brutally honest) I was told that 'with your grades you shouldn't have any problem getting in'- demonstrating the 'equal' footing all applicants start from.

Nevertheless, now it comes down to the final part of my 'ascendancy', it must be noted that I have become rather philosophical about it all and it might be worth me offering a few words of advice. I decided that I wanted to make the move after about 3 or 4 months of my undergrad degree and ever since then it has remained as a focus in the background. This in itself has been incredibly useful during the tough times as it has kept me working but you must remember that all of the top Universities have many more applicants than places and, while a first will probably put you in the top applicants for some (and so you can be confident about an application to say KCL, Durham or UCL), it does not work quite as well for Oxbridge. Indeed, as almost everyone will have a first in the 'Law applicant pool', even that is not enough and so it’s quite possible you can do everything within your control and still not get in. For this reason, be aware that, although I'm sure, it’s a great place to study, there are many other great options available as “backup” and, as the Bar is seen as quite an "academic" profession, doing an LLM somewhere else before moving to do a PhD at Oxbridge would not be beyond all realms of possibility.
    If you are successful however, one final point of note would be that the Oxbridge LLM/BCL course costs range from £15k-£25k and, if you were interested at studying the BVC at one of the top London providers you would be looking at about £13k for course fees and £10k ish (at least) for London living (if you don’t already live within a commutable distance) so it is a most expensive route!

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, fire away!

ReputationRep:
    Someone pointed out that getting a 1st in law is not easy. I emphasize that point! I have read on so many threads the plans of countless naive school finishers to do their degree and get a first, and just laughed out loud. Everyone is used to cashing in top grades at A-levels these days they think they can do it anywhere. People are in for a shock at degree level. Law is particularly hard! At my institution (a red-brick), less than 5% managed the feat this year, and that was considerably more people than any recent years previous.

I note mention of top BVC providers in the last post. The common consensus from a broad range of barristers is that no-one cares where you do your BVC! So long as you get a Very Competent you've ticked that box. If you did want to make a claim as to the best BVC provider, you would be foolish to look past Nottingham, who get a higher percentage of their BVC grads into pupillage than any other BVC provider (at c.65% if I remember correctly). Surely that is what everyone is aiming for and so a cogent statistic.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all immensely for the sound advice. I defiantly have more clarity on the situation.

ReputationRep:
    Although I did not do Law, I just graduated from Westminster with a First and recently got accepted onto an LSE MSc programme.

For what it is worth, references appear to be very important as well as the personal statement.

Go for it, I'm sure if you get the First you will get in :--) just apply to 4-5 of the top schools you want to go to, to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Fisher)
    The common consensus from a broad range of barristers is that no-one cares where you do your BVC! So long as you get a Very Competent you've ticked that box. If you did want to make a claim as to the best BVC provider, you would be foolish to look past Nottingham, who get a higher percentage of their BVC grads into pupillage than any other BVC provider (at c.65% if I remember correctly). Surely that is what everyone is aiming for and so a cogent statistic.
    Point accepted! I do apologise, I am not an aspiring barrister and only conveyed the opinions of some of my piers who have jetted off to BPP and ICSL. To be honest, I think Nottingham is an excellent choice which will no doubt save some money and stand a student in good stead. Nevertheless, I'm sure it's a subject that would spark some debate within the law forum!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.