Student267
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I was invited to take the astrology gcse in year 10. It is a year long course every Saturday and I was wondering the difficulty level or if it will interrupt mocks revision .
livlifestudying
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I haven't taken gcse astronomy, but I taught myself gcse further maths in yr11 because it wasn't offered at my school. I found that as long as you work on your time management and are able to prioritise/try and stick to a revision timetable, you should have time to do the extra gcse if you want to do it. I didn't feel that the extra course limited my mock revision because I would have specific times to focus on each subject, so if you schedule the gcse astronomy into your schedule for the week, hopefully you would be able to keep on top of it all.
GeronimoFrankie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Student267,

This will entirely depend on how much you like to study Astronomy and how good you are at independent learning.

If you enjoy the subject you are more likely to study the content for longer periods of time, more likely retain information and more likely to find yourself opening a textbook or trying out practise questions. If you study it in Year 10 for 1 year, will you take the exam in Year 10 as well? In which case, you will already have 1 GCSE under your belt by the time you come to take the majority of your GCSE's in Year 11. If you don't do as well as you expected, would you be wanting to re-take this exam? In which case, you will be retaking it amidst the rest of your GCSE's.

Only you (potentially with help from parents and teachers) can make this decision.

The questions to ask yourself are; will this help me in a potential career or getting into University? Will I enjoy it? Am I willing to spend the extra time learning this subject? Will I be able to study for this exam without it negatively impacting my other subjects?

If the answers to the above questions are yes, then definitely; go for it!

If not, then I would suggest having a look at the exam board specification to see what content will be covered, and the specimen exam papers, to see what sorts of questions will come up.

Geronimo
KingoftheBRUCE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi, I did GCSE Astronomy in Year 9 and 10. From my experience, some of the maths is a bit harder than GCSE physics but the wordy questions are about the same in difficulty. If you do well in physics and maths, you can definitely do well in astronomy.

If you can manage your time effectively, then you should have no problems with Astronomy negatively impacting on your other subjects. You just need to make sure you don't slack off, basically.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads