Life took a turn for the worse

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In April last year, me, my older brother and my dad were driving back after a day out. The car swerved on a massive patch of black ice as we were turning around a very tight mountain road (we were in northern Norway at the time) and the car came off the road. I don't remember what happened, only the car flipping and hearing screams. I was sat in the front, and as the car fell to the ground, I saw a tree coming right at me and my father leapt out of his seat and pushed me out of the way. I heard a massive shattering and blacked out for a few minutes, to wake up hearing my brother calling me, and seeing my father's body lying over me.
My brother called for an ambulance and when we got to the hospital, they discovered that my brother had only broken two bones in his arm, but I had broken my leg very badly. I broke my femur, my kneecap, my hip, my tibia and my ankle, as well as breaking my pelvis badly. I was told that I had a very low chance of being able to walk independently again. The next 6 weeks were a blur of operations, physio and missing my dad. I went back home after that, but I didn't go back to school as I could barely move. School breaks up in Norway in mid June, and I had hoped to go into school on the last week as my mum had been transferred to Maidenhead and I would never see my friends again, but I had a very big operation planned and would be in hospital for the whole last week. I never got to say goodbye to my friends and I was about to start a new school when I was going through the worst time of my life.
During these horrible times, my cousin was such a good friend to me. He was very funny, which helped me a lot when I was faced with a lot of operations, and encouraged me try and improve my physical health.

Starting a new school was hard. I was on crutches by this time, but had weekly day-long appointments at the hospital and still had to be admitted to other health problems that arose from the medication etc, plus English is not my first language so I also was different as I was 'the foreigner'. It was very hard to make friends and many would e.g. slam the door in my face and ask me over and over again how I got injured, which I found hard to answer.
I finally made friends, although it did take a long time for people to see me for me instead of my injuries.
My family had been coming over from Norway during the holidays and during the February holiday, my cousin encouraged me to take my first steps in nearly 11 months. He said that if I could walk around the garden twice without crutches by next week he would give me a tenner Image

Anyway, I did, but that day I received the news that he had collapsed whilst playing football and his heart had stopped. The paramedics had managed to revive him but he was in a coma. He recovered initially, but took a turn for the worse and passed away back in April. He was 15.
Now, I am half dependent on crutches and hope to keep recovering, though I am currently feeling very depressed and I miss my dad and my cousin. I have a big operation scheduled for September, which will keep me off school for 3 weeks. I am not looking forward to it at all.

Sorry, I just used this to tell my story. I hope no-one else has had to go through what I am experiencing - I'm just feeling very depressed atm.
bambi1425
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I hope you recover soon and things start to pick up again sending my best wishes and I hope you always talk to someone if you ever feel down! (doing something like this is something I could never do !)
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! Keep going! If not for yourself, for your dad and your cousin. You’re so amazing to have come this far already and I know that they would both be so so so so so proud of you. I’m proud of you and I don’t even know you! My pms are open if you ever need anyone to talk to and feel like you don’t have anyone but also remember that you and your brother are going through this all together. I know it might sound cheesy but you’re never alone. I hope everything looks up for you soon ))
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bambi1425)
I hope you recover soon and things start to pick up again sending my best wishes and I hope you always talk to someone if you ever feel down! (doing something like this is something I could never do !)
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
Hi! Keep going! If not for yourself, for your dad and your cousin. You’re so amazing to have come this far already and I know that they would both be so so so so so proud of you. I’m proud of you and I don’t even know you! My pms are open if you ever need anyone to talk to and feel like you don’t have anyone but also remember that you and your brother are going through this all together. I know it might sound cheesy but you’re never alone. I hope everything looks up for you soon ))
Thank you both so much, I really appreciate it. I had an operation at the start of this month and the recovery time from that is quicker than any other operation I have had, so that's good news. Unfortunately my brother is at uni and has been in Norway since March, but we're going to see each other next week so looking forward to that
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you both so much, I really appreciate it. I had an operation at the start of this month and the recovery time from that is quicker than any other operation I have had, so that's good news. Unfortunately my brother is at uni and has been in Norway since March, but we're going to see each other next week so looking forward to that
That’s great news! I hope you have a great time with your brother and that the surgery goes well! I’m sure that everything will look up soon. Sending virtual hugs )
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
That’s great news! I hope you have a great time with your brother and that the surgery goes well! I’m sure that everything will look up soon. Sending virtual hugs )
Thanks
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry for your loss and such a hugely traumatic thing you went through. It's worth speaking to your GP about how you're feeling, they can refer you to get therapy which will allow you to process things better.
NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In April last year, me, my older brother and my dad were driving back after a day out. The car swerved on a massive patch of black ice as we were turning around a very tight mountain road (we were in northern Norway at the time) and the car came off the road. I don't remember what happened, only the car flipping and hearing screams. I was sat in the front, and as the car fell to the ground, I saw a tree coming right at me and my father leapt out of his seat and pushed me out of the way. I heard a massive shattering and blacked out for a few minutes, to wake up hearing my brother calling me, and seeing my father's body lying over me.
My brother called for an ambulance and when we got to the hospital, they discovered that my brother had only broken two bones in his arm, but I had broken my leg very badly. I broke my femur, my kneecap, my hip, my tibia and my ankle, as well as breaking my pelvis badly. I was told that I had a very low chance of being able to walk independently again. The next 6 weeks were a blur of operations, physio and missing my dad. I went back home after that, but I didn't go back to school as I could barely move. School breaks up in Norway in mid June, and I had hoped to go into school on the last week as my mum had been transferred to Maidenhead and I would never see my friends again, but I had a very big operation planned and would be in hospital for the whole last week. I never got to say goodbye to my friends and I was about to start a new school when I was going through the worst time of my life.
During these horrible times, my cousin was such a good friend to me. He was very funny, which helped me a lot when I was faced with a lot of operations, and encouraged me try and improve my physical health.

Starting a new school was hard. I was on crutches by this time, but had weekly day-long appointments at the hospital and still had to be admitted to other health problems that arose from the medication etc, plus English is not my first language so I also was different as I was 'the foreigner'. It was very hard to make friends and many would e.g. slam the door in my face and ask me over and over again how I got injured, which I found hard to answer.
I finally made friends, although it did take a long time for people to see me for me instead of my injuries.
My family had been coming over from Norway during the holidays and during the February holiday, my cousin encouraged me to take my first steps in nearly 11 months. He said that if I could walk around the garden twice without crutches by next week he would give me a tenner Image

Anyway, I did, but that day I received the news that he had collapsed whilst playing football and his heart had stopped. The paramedics had managed to revive him but he was in a coma. He recovered initially, but took a turn for the worse and passed away back in April. He was 15.
Now, I am half dependent on crutches and hope to keep recovering, though I am currently feeling very depressed and I miss my dad and my cousin. I have a big operation scheduled for September, which will keep me off school for 3 weeks. I am not looking forward to it at all.

Sorry, I just used this to tell my story. I hope no-one else has had to go through what I am experiencing - I'm just feeling very depressed atm.
Sorry to hear all of that. Reading this wasn't uplifting at all.

What are your plans moving forward? You need something to keep you going. Meet new people. Find new interests. Get back in touch with older friends?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NonIndigenous)
Sorry to hear all of that. Reading this wasn't uplifting at all.

What are your plans moving forward? You need something to keep you going. Meet new people. Find new interests. Get back in touch with older friends?
I have kept in contact with my old friends but they couldn't come and visit as I haven't been well enough most of the past year to really meet people. I am going back to Norway for a few weeks and will meet up with my old friends then. I will be there for when the schools go back (they go back mid-late August) and I plan to go into school for a day to see the rest of my friends and teachers.
I haven't got any interests atm. I used to play football before the accident but I can't do that now obviously.
username2908878
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m so sorry about all the heartbreak you have currently experiencing, so much for one person to take. I wish I could make the pain go away for you, and speed your recovery up :grouphugs:. You’re very brave and strong to be going through this and carrying on through the pain, defiantly seek help from GP as mentioned above to try to process this great deal of stuff that’s happened. I haven’t really go much else to say that’ll make you feel better but you can PM me anything even just to vent and type out what you’re feeling if it’ll help you process anything. I wish you all the best, stay strong !
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Supernova36)
I’m so sorry about all the heartbreak you have currently experiencing, so much for one person to take. I wish I could make the pain go away for you, and speed your recovery up :grouphugs:. You’re very brave and strong to be going through this and carrying on through the pain, defiantly seek help from GP as mentioned above to try to process this great deal of stuff that’s happened. I haven’t really go much else to say that’ll make you feel better but you can PM me anything even just to vent and type out what you’re feeling if it’ll help you process anything. I wish you all the best, stay strong !
Thank you very much
Anonymous #1
Hi, I had a hospital appointment today, they found that I have some fluid in my knee and it is really swollen so that's not good, but going to rest for a few days and hopefully it will go down before I go to Norway next week.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
this is so sad, I hope things are better for you soon
Anonymous #1
this is so sad, I hope things are better for you soon
Thanks, I really appreciate it
smj
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I am so sorry you had to go through all this.
You do not have to feel sorry for expressing yourself and your experiences.

It is tough. But you are stronger and can fight back.

One step at a time and one day at a time. That is what I can say

Wishing you a quick recovery and that everthing goes well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (64)
24.24%
Better than expected (56)
21.21%
Worse than expected (144)
54.55%

Watched Threads