GCSE Maths study help

Watch
Dragon89
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi I have a few questions regarding maths gcse. I just finished uni and have realised how poor my maths skills are. Maths is part of the pre employment tests and I feel I need to improve my maths overall.

1. Which exam board is the best ?
2. What is the best strategy to study for maths ? (Websites/books/taking notes).
3. How long is studying effective to gain an A or B ?
4. Basically looking where to start as I have enjoyed it previously but only attained a C. I would like another shot at it.

KelsieTaylor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I can't help much with the first question, but as for revision and studying in general, I always like to follow this strategy:
1. Learn the topic and understand how to answer the questions that might be asked
2. Revise by making flashcards, mind maps, or whatever way you like to remember things
3. Do a few practice questions, and try to do exam-style ones
4. Timing is key so get a set of 10-20 questions and then time yourself using a stopwatch. I think you should ideally spend the same number of minutes as the marks (so that's 2 minutes for a 2 mark question, 5 mins for a 5 mark question etc.)

Don't forget to go back to the topic every now and again so you remember how to answer the questions. I would suggest to to try an practice paper every fortnight and test your skills.

There are lots of free exam-style questions and practice papers online. Corbett Maths and Maths Genie are a good option for those.

Don't overwork yourself! Study for 30-45 minutes and give yourself 5-10 minute breaks. If that doesn't work for you, then study for no more that 2 and a half hours at a time, you will most likely get tired and unmotivated. Get plenty of sleep as well, because that helps with memory and concentration.

Hope this helps Good luck!
rxc03
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dragon89)
Hi I have a few questions regarding maths gcse. I just finished uni and have realised how poor my maths skills are. Maths is part of the pre employment tests and I feel I need to improve my maths overall.

2. What is the best strategy to study for maths ? (Websites/books/taking notes).
4. Basically looking where to start as I have enjoyed it previously but only attained a C. I would like another shot at it.
hi - i finished my maths gcse last year, and i got a 9, currently doing a-level maths

1. my school did the edexcel board, but i'm not too sure about the differences between the boards at gcse (i think they all have the same content?)

2. to study for maths i mostly just went to lessons and then did questions from the textbook, and then closer to the time i did them from past papers/practice papers. instead of the lessons if you've already left school, you could maybe check out mathsgenie (it's a website which has videos on every topic, then questions to practice the topic and exam questions, all with answers!), closer to exams, i would do a paper in timed conditions, then mark off the mark scheme and if i didn't know how i'd gotten a question wrong, i would find videos that went through the questions so i could see the method (maths made easy is a great website for this!). i'd then leave the paper and move on, then when i finished all the papers i'd get blank copies of each paper and work through them again (i have an awful memory so i didn't remember any questions/answers, but if you're worried about that you could just space them out more). i didn't buy any revision guides because i didn't really see the point since so much was available for free online but i know some people in my year found them useful. cgp does question books too if you run out of questions. i guess the key thing is just to do lots of questions and practice the method because generally once you're comfortable with the method, you can answer most of the questions

3. this will sound annoying but i don't think there's a set amount of work needed to get any grade. i mostly just worked through topics until i felt confident answering the different 'types' of question associated with each topic and didn't time it, so you should do what feels best for you?

4. i would start by going on mathsgenie and just looking through the topics to see what you can and can't do. the edexcel textbook is quite big, and a bit pricey, but they also have a separate, smaller problem-solving book that i found useful when i was learning the topics in class.

sorry this reply was really long, i hope it helps, and good luck with the gcse!!
Rayan64
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Hi Dragon89,

Here some helpful websites to use:
> Mathsgenie - contains videos, practice questions and past papers
https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/
> Hegarty maths - has videos and practice questions
https://hegartymaths.com/
> Onmaths - provides online practice and past papers
https://www.onmaths.com/
> Corbettmaths- has videos, worksheets and practice papers
https://corbettmaths.com/
> BBC bitesize - covers all exam boards (lessons and quizes)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/z38pycw
> Pixi maths - provides lessons, worksheets and revision booklets aiming at different grades
https://www.piximaths.co.uk/

Also, I would recommed you watching:
> The GCSE Maths Tutor - has a grade 5-9 revision playlists
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSt...5tlwdpDXffobxA

I hope this helped.
Sxmx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
1. I also do edexcel and I completed my gcses last year and achieved a grade 7

2. How I revised for maths was using websites that someone has messaged above- hegarty maths was amazing for me to use I almost watched all the videos on that so I highly recommend hegarty maths

Another website to add on was dr frost https://www.drfrostmaths.com/ this is really good to practice what you know

And finally EXAM PAPERS this is the best form of revsion personally. Doing so much past papers really helps you a lot, i found that specific type of questions occurred in gcse exams which is really good because if you did past papers and a similar question came up on the exam you’d know how to work it out

3. I don’t really know the answer to this but just revise as much as you can!

4. Since you’ve done it before I’d brush UO the knowledge by using some maths websites like hegarty maths or just watching maths videos

My maths teacher always said to me “to go slow”
Best advice I was given because we tend to read the question quick and miss out information so read the question slowly and really understand it and also double check ur answer ALWAYS hope this helps
Dragon89
Rep:
?
(Original post by KelsieTaylor)
I can't help much with the first question, but as for revision and studying in general, I always like to follow this strategy:
1. Learn the topic and understand how to answer the questions that might be asked
2. Revise by making flashcards, mind maps, or whatever way you like to remember things
3. Do a few practice questions, and try to do exam-style ones
4. Timing is key so get a set of 10-20 questions and then time yourself using a stopwatch. I think you should ideally spend the same number of minutes as the marks (so that's 2 minutes for a 2 mark question, 5 mins for a 5 mark question etc.)

Don't forget to go back to the topic every now and again so you remember how to answer the questions. I would suggest to to try an practice paper every fortnight and test your skills.

There are lots of free exam-style questions and practice papers online. Corbett Maths and Maths Genie are a good option for those.

Don't overwork yourself! Study for 30-45 minutes and give yourself 5-10 minute breaks. If that doesn't work for you, then study for no more that 2 and a half hours at a time, you will most likely get tired and unmotivated. Get plenty of sleep as well, because that helps with memory and concentration.

Hope this helps Good luck!
Thank you! This is very helpful. Do you mind if I PM you ?
Dragon89
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sxmx)
1. I also do edexcel and I completed my gcses last year and achieved a grade 7

2. How I revised for maths was using websites that someone has messaged above- hegarty maths was amazing for me to use I almost watched all the videos on that so I highly recommend hegarty maths

Another website to add on was dr frost https://www.drfrostmaths.com/ this is really good to practice what you know

And finally EXAM PAPERS this is the best form of revsion personally. Doing so much past papers really helps you a lot, i found that specific type of questions occurred in gcse exams which is really good because if you did past papers and a similar question came up on the exam you’d know how to work it out

3. I don’t really know the answer to this but just revise as much as you can!

4. Since you’ve done it before I’d brush UO the knowledge by using some maths websites like hegarty maths or just watching maths videos

My maths teacher always said to me “to go slow”
Best advice I was given because we tend to read the question quick and miss out information so read the question slowly and really understand it and also double check ur answer ALWAYS hope this helps
Firstly, congratulations on attaining a 7! I’m guessing this is an A*? I think them websites mentioned above will play a huge part in my revision. Thank you for the advice!
Sxmx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Firstly, congratulations on attaining a 7! I’m guessing this is an A*? I think them websites mentioned above will play a huge part in my revision. Thank you for the advice!
Hah thank you so much! Yes an A*! Good luck with whatever decision you make !!
Dragon89
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sxmx)
Hah thank you so much! Yes an A*! Good luck with whatever decision you make !!
Thank you!
KelsieTaylor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you! This is very helpful. Do you mind if I PM you ?
Sorry for the late reply, but of course! You can PM me whenever you want
Dragon89
Rep:
?
(Original post by KelsieTaylor)
Sorry for the late reply, but of course! You can PM me whenever you want
Ok great!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (193)
33.22%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
50.09%
I still don't know (97)
16.7%

Watched Threads