Is taking Art A level detrimental for my application to read Philosophy at Cambridge?

Watch
morningrise
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I take Art, History of Art, and Philosophy for A levels. This is because I couldn't choose what to major in at university - Fine Art or Philosophy. So my current plan is to apply for Philosophy degrees through UCAS and at the same time apply for an Art Foundation degree, since they are two completely different systems. And since I am predicted high grades, I'm planning to apply to University of Cambridge to read Philosophy. My DOS and philosophy teacher support this decision and say that Cambridge is well within my reach.

However, I have read on some college websites (e.g. St. Catharine's) that subjects that are not very 'academic', including Art, are not preferred. Is this something to worry about? Does it depend on colleges? If so, are there any colleges that are okay with a Philosophy applicant taking Art A level? Will the university think that I don't have enough commitment to the subject?

(I did sort of justify my subject choice in my personal statement by writing about how I explored philosophy of time and similar themes through visual art; philosophy of time is what takes up about 20% of my current draft of personal statement as well.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (5)
17.24%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (8)
27.59%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (16)
55.17%

Watched Threads