Am I good enough for natural sciences? Watch

Qos
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm thinking of applying for Natural Sciences (biological) at Cambridge, but I have a few doubts.

I got 11 A*s, and took 3 sciences, maths and general studies, which I got 5 A's in.

However, I'm a little worried about my ums marks. I've heard you need 90% in relevant subjects.

My ums marks were 99% in biology, 83% in chemistry and physics, and 93% in maths. Do I have a good chance? Would I be a strong, middle, or weak candidate?

If you've gotten into natural sciences, I'd be grateful to know what ums, gcses you got.
juicyfruit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, we know your grades are brilliant, well done, next question....

How many more of these threads??

Of course they are good enough grades, why bother asking?
Ares1224
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate these threads and more importantly people who make them, like you
Fillette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Qos)
I'm thinking of applying for Natural Sciences (biological) at Cambridge, but I have a few doubts.

I got 11 A*s, and took 3 sciences, maths and general studies, which I got 5 A's in.

However, I'm a little worried about my ums marks. I've heard you need 90% in relevant subjects.

My ums marks were 99% in biology, 83% in chemistry and physics, and 93% in maths. Do I have a good chance? Would I be a strong, middle, or weak candidate?

If you've gotten into natural sciences, I'd be grateful to know what ums, gcses you got.
Your grades are absolutely fine. My best friend got into Cambridge for Natural Sciences (Biochemistry) with far lower UMS scores than that. Just asked- and she said she achieved 253/300- Biology 256/300 Chemsitry and 260/300 Maths and 235/300 French. I would suggest you concentrate on reading around your subject and getting interested in it beyond the limitations of your A-level course now. Grades are a step along the way, but now you have to impress them with your love, knowledge and interest in the subject.
Qos
Rep:
?
Well I've been told by loads of people that my grades might not be good enough because of lower ums in chemistry and physics.

All the people I know who have gotten into natural sciences have had 95%+ so I just wanted to see what other people were like.
juicyfruit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Qos)
Well I've been told by loads of people that my grades might not be good enough because of lower ums in chemistry and physics.

All the people I know who have gotten into natural sciences have had 95%+ so I just wanted to see what other people were like.
Well you're certainly going to have a good chance.
Keep the hardwork up at school but now concentrate on a good personal statement and outside of school activites such as sports, music and volunteering.
Fillette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Qos)

Yes but it's not only about the grades. Devote less energy to fretting over them (and they are perfectly fine) and spend more time preparing yourself for the interview and reading around your subject. Seriously.
manc
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Unless you got GOLD Duke of Edinburgh award your results mean NOTHING!!!

* sarcasm
Fillette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by manc)
Unless you got GOLD Duke of Edinburgh award your results mean NOTHING!!!

Trufax, no wonder I fail at life :sadnod:
sidewalkwhenshewalks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Once again
Hello and congratulations; you are clearly suffering from smack induced paranoia
next
Kestrel_daos
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm pretty sure that the best people to ask whether you're good enough will be the people who actually interview you. They'll let you know the answer in early january....
Beska
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
*rubs ur ego*

Ugh.
manc
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got 7 As at AS, 20 A* GCSEs, level 8 SATS, a gold sticker at nursery and displayed higher brain activity in the womb. And yes, I read New Scientist!

ARE MY GRADES GOOD ENOUGH OR SHOULD I APPLY TO ONE OF THOSE UNIS THAT USED TO BE A GYM???????

* sarcasm
rapha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by manc)
I got 7 As at AS, 20 A* GCSEs, level 8 SATS, a gold sticker at nursery and displayed higher brain activity in the womb.

ARE MY GRADES GOOD ENOUGH OR SHOULD I APPLY TO ONE OF THOSE UNIS THAT USED TO BE A GYM???????

And yes, I read New Scientist!

* sarcasm
:rofl:
sidewalkwhenshewalks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the sad thing is is i know alot of people who have infinity +1 marks in every module they have ever taken in their 950 AS levels but you ask them what it is about their subject they enjoy, or whats new in in or indeed ask them anything that they haven't specifically revised for they are just like WHA:woo:
and then they post **** like this and we all go yeah of course they're good enough when really the fact you even need to pot this probably means your too ****ing stupid to get by even the most basic tasks in life so GTFO
/rant
DaveJ
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Guys, what's with the harsh responses, he has a reasonably valid question about UMS, people DO say you generally need over 90% in relevant subjects.

I don't se the harm in him asking the question. He didn't say "OMG MY GRADES ARE SOOOOO BAD", he was just worried about one specific aspect of them.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You seem to have asked this question about 3 times already, and each time met with the same kind of (sarky) answer - they're fine, and stop worrying about them. You'll definitely get an interview with those kind of grades, and whether you get an offer or not will depend on the whole application, not solely on 10% or so difference of UMS marks. Plenty of people get in with less than 90% UMS - high UMS may give you an advantage, but a lowish UMS doesn't necessarily disadvantage you.

Asking these kind of questions is really annoying, but I can kind of understand why you asked (provided you're not just a troll!) as I am a chronic worrier and was really insecure during applying as well.
Fillette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DaveJ)
Guys, what's with the harsh responses, he has a reasonably valid question about UMS, people DO say you generally need over 90% in relevant subjects.

I don't se the harm in him asking the question. He didn't say "OMG MY GRADES ARE SOOOOO BAD", he was just worried about one specific aspect of them.

True, people should cut the OP some slack. He was just asking a question about entry requirements, in the Cambridge forum I might add, and wanting answers from people on the course/ who know about it .
Qos
Rep:
?
I am quite passionate about my subject, and do read around the subject a lot, and have done plenty of science related work experience.

It's just that it's so competitive, and i am applying for natural SCIENCES, and two of my sciences are barely A's. I know that's still good but I was wondering what it they were like relative to other applicants.
Qos
Rep:
?
(Original post by Excalibur)
You seem to have asked this question about 3 times already, and each time met with the same kind of (sarky) answer - they're fine, and stop worrying about them. You'll definitely get an interview with those kind of grades, and whether you get an offer or not will depend on the whole application, not solely on 10% or so difference of UMS marks. Plenty of people get in with less than 90% UMS - high UMS may give you an advantage, but a lowish UMS doesn't necessarily disadvantage you.

Asking these kind of questions is really annoying, but I can kind of understand why you asked (provided you're not just a troll!) as I am a chronic worrier and was really insecure during applying as well.
Yeah i never really got adequate responses and since I'll be applying very soon I'm eager to find out. Would it be too much to ask what ums you got?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)