Hedwigeeeee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am going to study A2 next semaster and I will enter uni in 2021. I have heard of sth called EPQ. which is supposed to be sth like writing an essay. I find it useful and well accepted by the unis in Britain. but I have already finished an essay in biochemistry. I just wondered is that useful to take an extra Epq course? as I am able to convert my original essay to EPQ ,that might lower the grade boundaries in most of the uni for our application. do u think i should take an EPQ? my study is already intense these days but that course takes only about 10 hours in total.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi :hi: I’ve moved this to the extended project qualification (epq) forum

If you enjoy writing essays, then you might enjoy it. There are some universities (not all), that may lower the entry requirements if you get a good grade in EPQ

It’s recommended that you spend 120 hours on your EPQ btw

This website might help, just for some more information!
Hedwigeeeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Hi :hi: I’ve moved this to the extended project qualification (epq) forum

If you enjoy writing essays, then you might enjoy it. There are some universities (not all), that may lower the entry requirements if you get a good grade in EPQ

It’s recommended that you spend 120 hours on your EPQ btw

This website might help, just for some more information!
I have already finished an assay. and my teacher said I can spend 10 hours to finished my EPQ using my original essay. I found it useful but can I use it to apply for imperial College ,UCL or Edinburgh uni? if I have already finished an essay and for sure I am gonna include it in my PS,is that necessary to have an extra EPQ?
Thanatos0239
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’d say go for it. A good handful of universities recognise the extra effort and (depending on the topic of your EPQ) dedication to the subject. It looks good on your CV and you can reflect on it in your personal statement. If it can make you stand out from the crowd of applicants, do it.

Such as, during my EPQ I have faced a great deal of challenges along the way. I had to... which taught me... etc.
Hedwigeeeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thanatos0239)
I’d say go for it. A good handful of universities recognise the extra effort and (depending on the topic of your EPQ) dedication to the subject. It looks good on your CV and you can reflect on it in your personal statement. If it can make you stand out from the crowd of applicants, do it.

Such as, during my EPQ I have faced a great deal of challenges along the way. I had to... which taught me... etc.
do u think it is good to using my original essay? as I am going to be in A2 level next term and it is a bit time consuming to start a new essay. when do u guys do EPQ?
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Hedwigeeeee)
I have already finished an assay. and my teacher said I can spend 10 hours to finished my EPQ using my original essay. I found it useful but can I use it to apply for imperial College ,UCL or Edinburgh uni? if I have already finished an essay and for sure I am gonna include it in my PS,is that necessary to have an extra EPQ?
If your teacher says that you can use your essay for it, then I'd go for it as that's the bulk of it done. You'll also need a progress log, evaluations, bibliography etc. but I'm sure your teacher will explain that to you It isn't necessary to have an EPQ.

You can definitely mention it in your personal statement, however as you'll see below, the 3 universities you enquired about don't take it into account to lower an offer:

From Imperial: "It is of immense personal value, and can provide additional support to your personal statement, however the EPQ does not offer any intrinsic advantage to applicants."

From UCL: "The Extended Project Qualification does not form part of our standard entrance requirements, but UCL recognises its value as preparation for independent study, which is key to university-level study."

From Edinburgh: "We do not require the EPQ or AEA for entry and they do not normally provide additional credit in the selection process."

Hope this helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (121)
62.69%
I don't have everything I need (72)
37.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed