JoJo_Beast
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi everyone!

I am a student studying currently in grade 12 in CBSE. I need a little bit of help. I am applying to Oxford (Christ Church), Imperial, Manchester and Southampton for Electrical and Electronics Engineering. The following were my scores:

10th
Mathematics 95%_A1
Science 97% _A1
Social Science 95% _A1
French 90% _B2 ..........( This is B2 because of positional ranking, usually universities consider A1 as 90+)
English 92%_A2

11th
Mathematics 98%_A1
Physics 93% _A1
Chemistry 95% _A1
Computer Sci 91% _A1
English 97% _A1

12th(predicted)
Mathematics 99%_A1
Physics 98%_A1
Chemistry 98%_A1
Computer Sci 95%_A1
English 96%_A1

I also have a good recommendation letter.I learn Python,MySQL,MongoDB and a little JAVA I am preparing for PAT exam as well. I am also an international badminton player.
What are the odds of me getting into each of those universities? Am a strong contestant? What else can I do? Anything else?
Also i am applying on my own without any consultants. Any advice?

Awaiting all of your replies!!!!
JoJo_Beast
Rep:
?
I hope i see a lot of replies, i need help and assistance!
iracundus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by JoJo_Beast)
Hi everyone!

I am a student studying currently in grade 12 in CBSE. I need a little bit of help. I am applying to Oxford (Christ Church), Imperial, Manchester and Southampton for Electrical and Electronics Engineering. The following were my scores:

10th
Mathematics 95%_A1
Science 97% _A1
Social Science 95% _A1
French 90% _B2 ..........( This is B2 because of positional ranking, usually universities consider A1 as 90+)
English 92%_A2

11th
Mathematics 98%_A1
Physics 93% _A1
Chemistry 95% _A1
Computer Sci 91% _A1
English 97% _A1

12th(predicted)
Mathematics 99%_A1
Physics 98%_A1
Chemistry 98%_A1
Computer Sci 95%_A1
English 96%_A1

I also have a good recommendation letter.I learn Python,MySQL,MongoDB and a little JAVA I am preparing for PAT exam as well. I am also an international badminton player.
What are the odds of me getting into each of those universities? Am a strong contestant? What else can I do? Anything else?

You seem like a strong candidate, certainly strong enough for manchester or Southhampton. Oxford and Imperial are a little different as everyone applying is a strong candidate so there are no guarantees, sometimes it is not even the best students on paper that get into oxford (aka someone with 3 A's might get accepted but not someone with 3A*'s). The only way to stand out there is to continue doing things around your subject that prove your interest and knowledge, so programming is good, also read books on engineering that prove you have an interest that you can mention on your PS and just practise maths. From the people in my class who interviewed for engineering I know they were mostly asked very hard maths questions in the interview and were interested in their approach to solving them, so just maybe get a book of interesting maths problems and practise (idk if such a book exists but I will assume it does) or find them online (what people I know did), this will help you but still, nothing is guaranteed. I knew a guy who made a robotic hand that moved if you moved your hand in a separate glove and he still didn't get into Oxbridge, so... yeh
JoJo_Beast
Rep:
?
(Original post by iracundus)
You seem like a strong candidate, certainly strong enough for manchester or Southhampton. Oxford and Imperial are a little different as everyone applying is a strong candidate so there are no guarantees, sometimes it is not even the best students on paper that get into oxford (aka someone with 3 A's might get accepted but not someone with 3A*'s). The only way to stand out there is to continue doing things around your subject that prove your interest and knowledge, so programming is good, also read books on engineering that prove you have an interest that you can mention on your PS and just practise maths. From the people in my class who interviewed for engineering I know they were mostly asked very hard maths questions in the interview and were interested in their approach to solving them, so just maybe get a book of interesting maths problems and practise (idk if such a book exists but I will assume it does) or find them online (what people I know did), this will help you but still, nothing is guaranteed. I knew a guy who made a robotic hand that moved if you moved your hand in a separate glove and he still didn't get into Oxbridge, so... yeh
Thank you so very much! Ill make sure i do that. I am practicing hard mathematics questions. I will also look upon engineering books to sharpen my PS. Also, is my academic scores good enough to get me an interview to Oxford and Imperial? Especially my 10th results, will the B2 in french become a disadvantage even though its not related to my course?
Last edited by JoJo_Beast; 5 months ago
iracundus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you so very much! Ill make sure i do that. I am practicing hard mathematics questions. I will also look upon engineering books to sharpen my PS. Also, is my academic scores good enough to get me an interview to Oxford and Imperial? Especially my 10th results, will the B2 in french become a disadvantage even though its not related to my course?
having one B2 seems fine idk how your school system works but your results look very high so i don't think that's an issue for you especially as it was the longest one ago
JoJo_Beast
Rep:
?
(Original post by iracundus)
having one B2 seems fine idk how your school system works but your results look very high so i don't think that's an issue for you especially as it was the longest one ago
ohh, thank you so much. I'll look onto to what others think as well. Thanks for everything!
JoJo_Beast
Rep:
?
Hoping for More replies !!!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
How old were you when you got your 10th and 11th results - sorry but I don't know the system in India?

You seem like a strong candidate but there are no guarantees. People get 5 choices on the UCAS form so I suggest you apply to all 4 of those unis (plus one other) - the only way anyone can tell for sure if they would have been offered a place at a particular uni is by applying!
JoJo_Beast
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
How old were you when you got your 10th and 11th results - sorry but I don't know the system in India?

You seem like a strong candidate but there are no guarantees. People get 5 choices on the UCAS form so I suggest you apply to all 4 of those unis (plus one other) - the only way anyone can tell for sure if they would have been offered a place at a particular uni is by applying!
I was 16 when i got my 10th results and 17 when i got my 11th. Yes am also looking on a 5th uni, just for safety. My main aim is Oxford or Imperial. If my scores seem good, then i need to crack the interview.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi everyone!

10th
Mathematics 95%_A1
Science 97% _A1
Social Science 95% _A1
English 92%_A2

11th
Mathematics 98%_A1
Physics 93% _A1
Chemistry 95% _A1
Computer Sci 91% _A1
English 97% _A1

12th(predicted)
Mathematics 99%_A1
Physics 98%_A1
Chemistry 98%_A1
Computer Sci 95%_A1
English 96%_A1

Please find below a link to my book, Oxford Demystified. It has a lot of handy hints on how to apply. There is an Engineering chapter by Nemesis Rider, a very talented and helpful engineering offer holder. Maybe he can help.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6100480

There are no guarantees of getting in, no matter what your grades. You need to be clever, determined and hard working. However, having said that, someone has to get in. The surest way to not get into Oxford is to not apply, so if you think you can do it, why not go for it?
JoJo_Beast
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Please find below a link to my book, Oxford Demystified. It has a lot of handy hints on how to apply. There is an Engineering chapter by Nemesis Rider, a very talented and helpful engineering offer holder. Maybe he can help.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6100480

There are no guarantees of getting in, no matter what your grades. You need to be clever, determined and hard working. However, having said that, someone has to get in. The surest way to not get into Oxford is to not apply, so if you think you can do it, why not go for it?
Thank you so much!
1mstuck
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi everyone!

10th
Mathematics 95%_A1
Science 97% _A1
Social Science 95% _A1
English 92%_A2

11th
Mathematics 98%_A1
Physics 93% _A1
Chemistry 95% _A1
Computer Sci 91% _A1
English 97% _A1

12th(predicted)
Mathematics 99%_A1
Physics 98%_A1
Chemistry 98%_A1
Computer Sci 95%_A1
English 96%_A1

You will definitely get into the university of your choice! Your grades are amazing. Tell me your revision secret😅
JoJo_Beast
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1mstuck)
You will definitely get into the university of your choice! Your grades are amazing. Tell me your revision secret😅
Lol its just practice. Any other advice or commets?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (29)
15.26%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (56)
29.47%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.47%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.16%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.63%

Watched Threads