AL Bibi Cordero
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
COLLAPSING Family due to separate choices of curriculum.

Daughter finished GCSE with marginal grades good for minimum requirement for her preferred University Subject (Psychology) She studies in Scotland at an independent school.

My findings is Psychology need not study 2 years of neither Highers nor A levels. When grades achieved AAAB to BBBB Universities in Scotland will give offer. Highers have an easier marking gradient then A levels.

Her argument was if she fails to deliver in Highers. She will not be able to deliver in Advance Highers

For her analysis quote” A levels is split into 2 years which makes it easier to achieve required qualifications”

Any Feedbacks ?
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AL Bibi Cordero)
COLLAPSING Family due to separate choices of curriculum.

Daughter finished GCSE with marginal grades good for minimum requirement for her preferred University Subject (Psychology) She studies in Scotland at an independent school.

My findings is Psychology need not study 2 years of neither Highers nor A levels. When grades achieved AAAB to BBBB Universities in Scotland will give offer. Highers have an easier marking gradient then A levels.

Her argument was if she fails to deliver in Highers. She will not be able to deliver in Advance Highers

For her analysis quote” A levels is split into 2 years which makes it easier to achieve required qualifications”

Any Feedbacks ?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking?
Assuming she wants to go to a Scottish uni, then often high A level grades will grant you entry straight into second year (pros and cons to this, depends what she would prefer).
In A levels you sit all exams at the end of 2 years, so there is only really one shot at it, whereas say she got a B in her higher when she was expecting an A, she could take an advanced higher which doesn't take into account the higher result and start again from scratch, essentially another chance.
Ultimately which is better likely depends on the type of learner she is. If she tends to learn quickly then the Scottish system might give her an advantage over A levels where slow and steady is very much how you have to play or you'll burn out since the full 2 years worth of content comes down to a handful of exams over a few weeks, compared to only a single year in Highers (though obviously knowledge from before is built on).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (84)
39.07%
Take autumn exams (71)
33.02%
Look for a job (6)
2.79%
Consider an apprenticeship (7)
3.26%
Take a year out (34)
15.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed