The Student Room Group

Consequences of filing an academic appeal?

Hi, I'm considering filing an appeal for the grade I received in my masters thesis, as the feedback I received seems to be very biased. For example, most of the comments and questions can be easily answered when reading the text of my thesis carefully.
The issue with this is that essentially, by appealing I am challenging the School's impartiality, and implying that one of their academic (my marker) did not read my thesis carefully.
By doing that, I'm worried that there can be repercussions, especially as I still have one year to go at my Uni, and don't want to feel like the School has a problem with me because of my appeal. Hence my question being: can there be negative consequences for me for filing an appeal, regardless of the outcome?
Reply 1
Original post by mildlyengineer
Hi, I'm considering filing an appeal for the grade I received in my masters thesis, as the feedback I received seems to be very biased. For example, most of the comments and questions can be easily answered when reading the text of my thesis carefully.
The issue with this is that essentially, by appealing I am challenging the School's impartiality, and implying that one of their academic (my marker) did not read my thesis carefully.
By doing that, I'm worried that there can be repercussions, especially as I still have one year to go at my Uni, and don't want to feel like the School has a problem with me because of my appeal. Hence my question being: can there be negative consequences for me for filing an appeal, regardless of the outcome?

It’s best to look at the universities guidelines for appeals however it will probably go before an appeal board, they shouldn’t ideally see it as a challenge to impartiality, but rather a seeking of clarification.
Original post by mildlyengineer

Was the thesis 2nd marked ? If so (and it should be for a major piece of work) then it's not just the opinion of a single person. It's not unusual for "you to know what you meant" but for that to be pretty opaque to a reader seeing the text for the 1st time because of the way you constructed an argument or from disjointed ordering. If you need a "careful read of the thesis" to bring out the "missing" points you are being criticised for, then perhaps think about how you could have done that more clearly.

Quick Reply

Latest