Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indie_couture)
    Basically I was just wondering how many of you use ebay. I've considered getting an account thing in the past but always been scared of giving card details and getiing ripped off etc.

I want to know what your experiences are with ebay. I love retro/vintage clothes and whenever i am searching I always see really nice stuff on ebay.
    Have you been ripped off? Does it cost to join? Any other information I should know before joining? x
    Ive been an ebay member for about 5 years now and have never ever had a problem with fraud etc on ebay. As long as you use paypal and not moneygram, western Union, Bank transfer, Cheque etc you will be ok.

I have never ever been ripped off because i always look carefully when i bid. Always have a read thru the listing and look at the sellers feedback. be wary if its a user with negative or 0 feedback as this is suspicious. If unsure dont bid/buy.

It doesnt cost anything to join ebay or paypal. If you wish to sell something on ebay it costs but for buying nothing at all.

ReputationRep:
    eBay was so much better when it didn't care about ****ty copyright laws

ReputationRep:
    how old do you have to be to join, im 16 and have a card, could i say i was 18 and lie if i needed to be 18? or do they find out?
    xxxxx
    I've had an ebay and a paypal account since i was 14, so I say just lie.

ReputationRep:
    eBay is great for buying - but do watch out for fakes.
    not as great if you're a seller though...

ReputationRep:
    paypalsucks.com check that out for some horror stories on paypal/eBay.

They're are lots of ways to get screwed, but there are similarly easy ways to stay safe. Only buy from sellers with 50+ feedback and only sell to people with 1 or more feedback.

ReputationRep:
    Ebay is okay. I've been ripped off twice. But there are hidden charges, if you want to sell something then it costs to list it and they charge VAT on the price of what you list. And once every couple of months they charge you a certain amount for just being a member.

ReputationRep:
    I've been using ebay for about 5 years now and haven't been ripped off (yet). You just have to be careful and you're alright.

I make a decent profit too with my day to day dealings.

ReputationRep:
    A complete sess pit, utter garbage now. Its completely changed, full of Nigerians that are out to scam you, listings are a pain, the amount of uneducated morons asking your ridiculous questions just all makes it not worth it.

I suggest using forums etc to sell.

Hotukdeals, mse, gumtree etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Bought a few bits and bobs off there, never bothered to sell though.

Indie, I signed up when I was 15.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the help!
    so if i sign up, do i need to give my card details every time i buy something or just once? Will i get charged every few months for being a member? FInally how can i check that the person is genuine and that no one will take my card details-im well worried about that!!!

ReputationRep:
    I nearly lost 300quid off ebay after a powerseller decided to scam everyone into buying sony bravia TV at a bargain price but thanks to paypal I got my full money back today I was so worried I wouldnt get it all back because the paypal protection changed to 150 after the seller revised the item but when i paid for it th protection cover was 500. I have been using ebay for years and I do fine a lot of good bargains so It good

ReputationRep:
    God i love ebay!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the help!
    so if i sign up, do i need to give my card details every time i buy something or just once? Will i get charged every few months for being a member? FInally how can i check that the person is genuine and that no one will take my card details-im well worried about that!!!
    Membership to ebay is free!

You never give anyone your credit card details, instead you send money from a paypal account (that is linked to your card) to another paypal account. Your paypal account contains money just like a bank account and you send that money to their account, they're never able to see your card details just your name and address.

Card -> Your paypal account -> Sellers paypal account [-> Their bank account or whatever]

Chances are you will have some problems with other sellers but it's usually nothing major. Just make sure you check feedback, know what you're buying and ask questions before bidding/buying!

Word of warning though: don't end up with ebay tunnel vision, thing's aren't always cheaper on ebay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiasco)
    Word of warning though: don't end up with ebay tunnel vision, thing's aren't always cheaper on ebay.
    :ditto:

I've looked for many things on eBay and they have been overpriced! The main cause of this is sellers who don't realise that the people on eBay want a bargin not to be ridicuolously cheated when if they look around on the net they can find certain items so much cheaper!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 6, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.