Turn on thread page Beta

What Should I Do To Stretch My Grades? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I'm starting year 13 this year and am carrying Maths, Physics and Chemistry on to A2 level, I got A's in all three and above 90% in each too.

I also got a high B in Biology and am going to take Further Maths AS level.

My questions are, should I be looking to do something a bit more? I mean is there really a snobbery with only having 3 A-levels? and seeming as I don't need to do much to get three A's this year, should I be looking for something else to enhance my A-levels?

I'm applying for Civil Engineering by the way.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    University courses require only 3 A-levels, why add to the workload?

ReputationRep:
    Write a good personal statement. Best thing you can do. Don't add extra work.

ReputationRep:
    I guess a few extra-curricualars wouldn't hurt?

ReputationRep:
    Just get the 3 As, and have a life!! With 4 A levels you'll have such a bigger workload esp. if you don't *really* want to do Bio to A Level. You'll be surprised at how your workload increases at A2 (Chemistry in particular), so it's better just to get those As and enjoy yourself, than putting yourself under unnecessary pressure. And you're doing the AS in Further Maths as well, which will be very useful for Engineering.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Do some work experience, get a job, branch out.

A-levels are one thing but 3 A's won't get you into Oxbridge if that's your goal.

4 A's won't let you branch out like my suggestions will.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for your help, You've all made some good points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabregas1989)
    Do some work experience, get a job, branch out.

A-levels are one thing but 3 A's won't get you into Oxbridge if that's your goal.

4 A's won't let you branch out like my suggestions will.
    What do you mean by work experience? like to do with engineering?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    3 A's won't get you into Oxbridge if that's your goal.
    What?

ReputationRep:
    Do some broader reading around your syllabus and civil engineering; that would definietely look good as it shows both academic and personal motivation.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am hoping to do 4 A2 levels, plus 6 re-sits. I know this will be a lot of workload, especially as the subjects are Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths, but hey the challenge will be fun!

ReputationRep:
    LIAR! :p:

Most people at Oxbridge may well have more than 3 A-Levels, but there is certainly no hard and fast rule. However, I may advise doing something to set yourself out from the crowd if this is your goal, as your B, however high, at AS may count slightly against you.

ReputationRep:
    I only did three A-levels but did an extra GCSE (in Spanish) as well.

ReputationRep:
    "Liar" "What?"

Come on!! You need to have perfect GCSEs and A-levels to even be considered. Then and only then are you given the chance. To win the place, you need to have shown exemplary interest in your subject, and this means work experience.

Yeh, Snobpence17, perhaps work experience at Christmas or half-term I would suggest.
    During the school week you should do something, too. It doesn't have to be engineering-related, but broaden your horizons. Perhaps do something completely different and when they ask you at interview "have you thought about anything else?" you can then say "yes, actually i've..."

Average Joes don't get into Oxbridge. Ask yourself how you can stop yourself becoming AJ.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Cambridge and I'm only taking 3 A-levels. I think it's more important to have character and confidence, and being able to set yourself apart from the crowd in other ways than just academically. Oxbridge will be getting about 5 applicants with AAA for every place they have, so personally I'm trying to read widely (since I'm applying for English) and show some self-motivation by studying texts by myself, and doing some extra-curricular.
    ...I might take up AS History though. I'm just gutted my school don't do Politics ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    I'm not thinking of Oxford!!! haha, (tongue in cheek there)

More Bristol/Southampton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shotgunkisses)
    I'm applying to Cambridge and I'm only taking 3 A-levels. I think it's more important to have character and confidence, and being able to set yourself apart from the crowd in other ways than just academically.
    I think it's just getting the grades / showing extra interest in subject to get an interview, and then performing well at interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murphology)
    I think it's just getting the grades / showing extra interest in subject to get an interview, and then performing well at interview?
    And the admissions tests.

Even so, Snobpence17, regardless of where you go it's always good to stretch yourself, read around, etc. It's what you'll be doing at university soon anyway, so get some practise in.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.