Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got thinking that many people will make their university choices based on the open days that they have been to. Well to those who've been to X uni's open day then later got into X uni, did the university live up to expectations? Was what you saw and experienced on the open day actually a true representation of what uni life is actually like at that uni?
    Did you opinion of the univerisity decrease, increase or stay the same when you actually went to the uni?
    What aspects of uni open days did you tend to find "dodgy" when it came to giving an accurate depiction of the univerisity?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry what? How are they a scam, to let you walk around and decide for yourself if you think you'll like it?

ReputationRep:
    I had never been to any of the unis I applied to.

EDIT: I also didn't know where KCL was till I got in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    Sorry what? How are they a scam, to let you walk around and decide for yourself if you think you'll like it?
    It's all about the subliminal messages... :ninja:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying they ARE a scam, I'm asking whether people, based on their own experiences think uni marketing stategies during the open day are misleading.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously they'll take you round the nicer accommodation they have and things like that, but i never felt like i was misled, no. All of the open days i went to didn't feel like they were trying to make the place seem better than it actually was. I never noticed any agressive marketing strategies really, i just got the information i needed to make a good decision.
    I still think sheffield is as friendly and nice as i did on the open day and i've just finished my second year.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously being shown around a campus by someone who has absolutely no idea where anything is and proceeds to tell you how "someone once fell off the balcony" is a scam to make you just have to go to that particular uni :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Keele tart the place up for open days and order in Sunshine. They then promptly remove all these things afterwards, never to return until the next open day. The place still rocks though.

ReputationRep:
    I can honestly say that Manchester didn't change much between the open day and me getting there.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, universities are businesses and they are feeding you a sale pitch on the day.

However, students are down to earth and honest most of the times - especially the ones who volunteer their time to help. They'll give you the real picture, so talk to them.

Just as when looking for accommodation we were told things like "don't live here" / "the landlord is a bit pervy" and "the landlord never responds to any of our calls"

they will tell you what the workload is like, the cost of living, nightlife etc...

But in response to the Q, it was how I expected. I was only disappointed with general levels of communication once there, but then they never promised anything on that level.

If anything, they are also very open. They can't force you to go listen to certain things, and they all give you the same sales pitch - once you've heard one you've heard them all in most instances - so they aren't trying to con you into going to them.

I made my decision mostly on levels of financial support and the cost and condition of accommodation - so they couldn't really hide these facts from me.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, general open days are very staged and the subject talks I found to be very un-helpful due to time restraints. If I were you try and go to subject specific open days as you can actually visit the department properly and talk to staff (although unhelpfully they are mainly held post application)

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I did the tours for lots of prospective students and you'd be suprised how many of them didn't ask one question. So hey if they get there and decide that what they told him was a scam then they should have asked us what it was like there!!

ReputationRep:
    all the unis i went to visit i hated. especially hull [sorry people who go there]
    ended up in the uni i visited after i got in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazza)
    To be honest I did the tours for lots of prospective students and you'd be suprised how many of them didn't ask one question. So hey if they get there and decide that what they told him was a scam then they should have asked us what it was like there!!
    Same here, and that's very true. I guess people are just shy about asking stuff.

Most of the open days are staffed by current students who aren't likely to make up things just to make the uni look good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    It's all about the subliminal messages... :ninja:

:p:
    Dont forget the mind altering drugs in the free water!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reductio)
    EDIT: I also didn't know where KCL was till I got in.
    You didn't know where KCL (King's College London) was? :woo:

I didn't go to any open days till I'd applied and then wasn't that fussed on going to any once I'd got my offers. I ended up visiting them all except Durham which tried to force you to stay the night. They're just an opportunity to fill you with 'this university is the best thing since sliced bread' propaganda. They don't really give you a true representation of the University. I think you can learn more off TSR and the prospectus than an open day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theflyingpig)
    You didn't know where KCL (King's College London) was? :woo:
    I presume he means where abouts in London, not in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMDaines)
    I presume he means where abouts in London, not in the country.
    I'd hope so, otherwise I might buy into the 'A-Levels/GCSEs are getting easier' argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subterfuge)
    Same here, and that's very true. I guess people are just shy about asking stuff.

Most of the open days are staffed by current students who aren't likely to make up things just to make the uni look good.
    I think the issue is a lot of parents go. At least when I looked around, there were a lot there. Mine took me (due to transport reasons), which I appreciated as I like to know they know where I am for half the year but I think very few people will ask questions in a room with say 60% parents and 40% students!

I never asked one, but I think my parent did. I didn't mind asking questions afterwards, or 1 on 1 with students, but at the time didn't have the confidence to ask a question then. Although, most of mine a parent of someone else would ask, and they were all the same "what are entry requirements" "do you/why don't you use the LNAT test" :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theflyingpig)
    I'd hope so, otherwise I might buy into the 'A-Levels/GCSEs are getting easier' argument.
    Geography isn't getting easier, he just didn't take it :p: (now I find he's studying Geography?)

_____

The thing I found with Open days.. when I went to my first one I thought "OMG, I want to come here, nothing can compare" - went to the next one - "OMG, I want to come here, actually" - third open day (third Uni) - "OMG, this is the one for me, without a doubt" and as it happens I'm going to the third one in sept. so you'll most probably like them all and be none the wiser as to which one you want to go to. (exageration but pretty much sums it up)

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.