I got a third in second year of Uni can I still get a 2:1? - Finished with a 2:1

Watch
AdamWillo
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys, I just wanted to give a quick message to everyone who (like myself) for whatever reason didn’t do as well as they could in their second year of university and are now panicking hoping they can still get at least a 2:1 - well I’m here to tell you that you can!

I have just graduated from my Law degree here in the UK with a 2:1 after getting 47% - a third, in my second year. Like you are doing now after I got that result my heart sank and I began to question every website to see if getting a 2:1 is still possible thinking I’ve wasted my own time and money whilst letting everyone around me down. My issue in the second year was laziness and a lack of attendance. Luckily my second year counted for only 25% of my overall grade so I still had some light at the end of the tunnel and you guys do too! If your second year counted for 50% it is still possible of course just a little harder!

My advice to you is that it is not too late! When you start third year you need to give it your all, attend every lecture like it is a full time job, that is bare minimum. People will say you need to study study study but I did not spend every waking hour studying, it is not necessary and you will burn yourself out. My ONLY advice is to attend every single lecture / seminar you can and ask questions where you need to, just doing this alone will give you a much higher understanding of what you need to write, it’s really important honestly! Of course you still need to study a fair amount too!
The main aim of this message is to tell you that you can do it! And Goodluck!
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AdamWillo)
Hi guys, I just wanted to give a quick message to everyone who (like myself) for whatever reason didn’t do as well as they could in their second year of university and are now panicking hoping they can still get at least a 2:1 - well I’m here to tell you that you can!

I have just graduated from my Law degree here in the UK with a 2:1 after getting 47% - a third, in my second year. Like you are doing now after I got that result my heart sank and I began to question every website to see if getting a 2:1 is still possible thinking I’ve wasted my own time and money whilst letting everyone around me down. My issue in the second year was laziness and a lack of attendance. Luckily my second year counted for only 25% of my overall grade so I still had some light at the end of the tunnel and you guys do too! If your second year counted for 50% it is still possible of course just a little harder!

My advice to you is that it is not too late! When you start third year you need to give it your all, attend every lecture like it is a full time job, that is bare minimum. People will say you need to study study study but I did not spend every waking hour studying, it is not necessary and you will burn yourself out. My ONLY advice is to attend every single lecture / seminar you can and ask questions where you need to, just doing this alone will give you a much higher understanding of what you need to write, it’s really important honestly! Of course you still need to study a fair amount too!
Covid-19 result...... Unfortunately your experience doesn't translate to other cohorts.

Good job though.
AdamWillo
Rep:
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Covid-19 result...... Unfortunately your experience doesn't translate to other cohorts.

Good job though.
Absolutely incorrect, Covid 19 had absolutely no impact on my results. With or without Covid 19 I would have got the same result so please don’t be so negative.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Good job though.
A bit harsh, could OP have taken advantage and got more generous marking, perhaps.

with a 25/75 weighting OP would have only needed 64% for a 2.1 overall and its very possible they got this legitimately, and at least the semester 1 credits would tell the story so OP would know if that was the case.
AdamWillo
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
A bit harsh, could OP have taken advantage and got more generous marking, perhaps.

with a 25/75 weighting OP would have only needed 64% for a 2.1 overall and its very possible they got this legitimately, and at least the semester 1 credits would tell the story so OP would know if that was the case.
Thank you that is my point exactly, I achieved 67% in my third year which took me over the grade boundary without any help from Covid 19 safety guards!
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Absolutely incorrect, Covid 19 had absolutely no impact on my results. With or without Covid 19 I would have got the same result so please don’t be so negative.
There's no way to prove that unfortunately. Unless you sat your exam's in an exam hall and not open book.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mnot)

I could see that, but my statement stands...and i did commend OP by saying good job. But we don't want people to start thinking ohh get a third in second year is butters.
AdamWillo
Rep:
As someone who did

I could see that, but my statement stands...and i did commend OP by saying good job. But we don't want people to start thinking ohh get a third in second year is butters.
That was not my point. My point is that for people who do get a third and there are many, they can still get a 2:1, no one is giving the opinion that you should just get a third, just trying to help the people that have.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
As someone who did

That was not my point. My point is that for people who do get a third and there are many, they can still get a 2:1, no one is giving the opinion that you should just get a third, just trying to help the people that have.
Now that we've established that, well done for pulling through! 👏 👏 👏
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
There's no way to prove that unfortunately. Unless you sat your exam's in an exam hall and not open book.
Sorry but Covid has had little impact on most peoples results. My uni gave us the impression that we would be 'saved' incase of any bad results we got. The whole cohort who sat the end of year tests got under 60%, most under 50% and many people even failed. No detriment policy was useless and i can confidently say that covid had no effect at all. Luckily its 1st year and not 2nd, though.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I would never encourage anyone to get a third at any point in their degree. But if its a case of you are where you are, id still target a 2.1 or 1st if reasonably mathematically possible.

OP will know how if they were on track for a 64%+ score from semester 1 of final year. I think they should still be proud in this situation.

(and is actually a refreshing positive story on TSR as opposed to the continuos stream of i got 59% help me appeal)
username2244141
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I've heard from many that second year is harder than third, because some people don't get their act together in second year, but seeing that this has really affected their grade they do a lot better in third year - covid or no. Getting a 2.1 is definitely doable even if you get a third in second year; while you shouldn't be complacent in second year, if you don't do as well there's still hope, and this is the OP's point.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sorry but Covid has had little impact on most peoples results. My uni gave us the impression that we would be 'saved' incase of any bad results we got. The whole cohort who sat the end of year tests got under 60%, most under 50% and many people even failed. No detriment policy was useless and i can confidently say that covid had no effect at all. Luckily its 1st year and not 2nd, though.
Fair enough. Though that's avg for first years with little motivation to work.
Ah_08
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Wow this is just the message I needed! If you could give me some advice that would be great. Soo I did not do my best in second year, most likely because I spent it all at home because of covid. But I got a 3rd in my second year, around 45% I think… I feel embarrassed just talking about it. I mean I got into third year but I don’t want to leave with a 2:2 i personally want to leave with a 2:1. What do you think I need to do to get there? What grades would I have to achieve? And I know this sounds stupid but I don’t even know how this overall percentage thing works. Also worst part my uni is 50%/50% so great. Any advice would be much appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (12)
10.17%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
0.85%
Finding the time to revise (8)
6.78%
Finding the motivation (32)
27.12%
Getting distracted (15)
12.71%
Procrastination (49)
41.53%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.85%

Watched Threads