The Student Room Group

AS Predicted Grades

My Predicted grades for Uni are very low just got them now, BCC and I wanted to apply for Chemical Engineering Masters, I dont know if thats still an option. I had done so much prep for this course thinking my teachers would at least bump my grades up by 1 from BCD but no they didnt and now I am basically done for. Any help or advice, I dont really want to take a gap year just putting that out there.
Any Help Much Appreciated!!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Dezer
My Predicted grades for Uni are very low just got them now, BCC and I wanted to apply for Chemical Engineering Masters, I dont know if thats still an option. I had done so much prep for this course thinking my teachers would at least bump my grades up by 1 from BCD but no they didnt and now I am basically done for. Any help or advice, I dont really want to take a gap year just putting that out there.
Any Help Much Appreciated!

Hey @Dezer !

I know this is a really stressful time at the moment and so much seems uncertain. The exam boards will be taking lots of things in to consideration this year remember, so try not to worry too much about things which are out of your control for the moment.

Do you have your conditional offers already, or are you applying direct through Clearing?

If you have an offer already- even if you don't meet the exact conditions you will still be considered for the course. Universities take in to consideration a range of things including grades, personal statement and references so hope is definitely not lost! If this doesn't work out- required grades can change slightly on Clearing day and every institution will differ- so there's a chance that even if you don't meet the standard entry requirements you could still get a place this year. You might find yourself in a position to consider studying somewhere you never imagined before.

As I say, try not to worry too much about your results. I know it's easier said than done, but it's outwith your control for now. Research universities and get familiar with the Clearing process in case you need to use it, and remember there's no *right* way to go to university... you have more options than you think :wink:

Take care and enjoy your summer!

-Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Dezer !

I know this is a really stressful time at the moment and so much seems uncertain. The exam boards will be taking lots of things in to consideration this year remember, so try not to worry too much about things which are out of your control for the moment.

Do you have your conditional offers already, or are you applying direct through Clearing?

If you have an offer already- even if you don't meet the exact conditions you will still be considered for the course. Universities take in to consideration a range of things including grades, personal statement and references so hope is definitely not lost! If this doesn't work out- required grades can change slightly on Clearing day and every institution will differ- so there's a chance that even if you don't meet the standard entry requirements you could still get a place this year. You might find yourself in a position to consider studying somewhere you never imagined before.

As I say, try not to worry too much about your results. I know it's easier said than done, but it's outwith your control for now. Research universities and get familiar with the Clearing process in case you need to use it, and remember there's no *right* way to go to university... you have more options than you think :wink:

Take care and enjoy your summer!

Hi Caitlin,

Thanks so much for the extensive and imformative response, but I am a First Year A Level student who just got his predicted grades. When I read through that I think you were talking about this years applicants, I am 2021. Is it still the same I mean I really wanted to a ABB University at least, but can't really do anything anymore becuase my teachers didn't think I could at least achieve 1 grade above what I got for my practice Mock Exam. I am like super stressed out about this and like I have looked through a lot of different universities but they all require AAA and AAB etc and its just me on my lonely island with BCC. Not to mention for Chem I got an avg of 64% only 3% below last years AS level grade boundries B. Its a shame really and really frustrating.
Again Thank for the help @University of Strathclyde
Original post by Dezer
Hi Caitlin,

Thanks so much for the extensive and imformative response, but I am a First Year A Level student who just got his predicted grades. When I read through that I think you were talking about this years applicants, I am 2021. Is it still the same I mean I really wanted to a ABB University at least, but can't really do anything anymore becuase my teachers didn't think I could at least achieve 1 grade above what I got for my practice Mock Exam. I am like super stressed out about this and like I have looked through a lot of different universities but they all require AAA and AAB etc and its just me on my lonely island with BCC. Not to mention for Chem I got an avg of 64% only 3% below last years AS level grade boundries B. Its a shame really and really frustrating.
Again Thank for the help @University of Strathclyde

@Dezer , Ahhh I see! Oops, my apologies- I thought you were applying this year! :shy2:

Have you had a chance to chat to any of your teachers about the reasoning behind your predicted grades? You're right, it seems a real shame that you were given a little lower than you'd hoped :frown: Perhaps getting some feedback from them would help with next steps and things to focus on?

I'd be inclined to stick with my guns and say that there is still a university out there for you. At Strathclyde for our MEng degrees we look for around AAB - BBB, with applicants that can do well in particularly their Maths & Physics. When we consider applications we'll look at the full thing as I mentioned- personal statement and GCSE grades can be looked at as well as the teacher's reference. While your predicted grades may be BCC- this doesn't mean you wouldn't be given an offer for BBB for example. I couldn't guarantee you'd be made an offer from anywhere of course, but all is definitely not lost! As a 2021 applicant, you've got lots of time to contact universities directly to ask them what they need to see in your application.

The next few years will be really different for students, and universities are being urged to be as flexible as they can when making decisions. If I were you, I'd get in touch with your teachers to work out exactly what they want you to focus on. Get in touch with universities and their current students to find out more about the courses, and what happens if you don't get the grades. Outwith the 'normal' UCAS cycle- you'll have options through Clearing, Foundation Years or even Apprenticeships so have a look in to these.

Hope some of this maybe helps reassure you a little? I know it's mega stressful but remember your best is all you can do, and I've no doubt you'll end up where you need to be!

Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde
@Dezer , Ahhh I see! Oops, my apologies- I thought you were applying this year! :shy2:

Have you had a chance to chat to any of your teachers about the reasoning behind your predicted grades? You're right, it seems a real shame that you were given a little lower than you'd hoped :frown: Perhaps getting some feedback from them would help with next steps and things to focus on?

I'd be inclined to stick with my guns and say that there is still a university out there for you. At Strathclyde for our MEng degrees we look for around AAB - BBB, with applicants that can do well in particularly their Maths & Physics. When we consider applications we'll look at the full thing as I mentioned- personal statement and GCSE grades can be looked at as well as the teacher's reference. While your predicted grades may be BCC- this doesn't mean you wouldn't be given an offer for BBB for example. I couldn't guarantee you'd be made an offer from anywhere of course, but all is definitely not lost! As a 2021 applicant, you've got lots of time to contact universities directly to ask them what they need to see in your application.

The next few years will be really different for students, and universities are being urged to be as flexible as they can when making decisions. If I were you, I'd get in touch with your teachers to work out exactly what they want you to focus on. Get in touch with universities and their current students to find out more about the courses, and what happens if you don't get the grades. Outwith the 'normal' UCAS cycle- you'll have options through Clearing, Foundation Years or even Apprenticeships so have a look in to these.

Hope some of this maybe helps reassure you a little? I know it's mega stressful but remember your best is all you can do, and I've no doubt you'll end up where you need to be!

Thanks so much again for the great response, I really do appreciate it. I guess I should contact my Head of Sixth Form and ask them if they can do anything. I will be working as hard as I can over summer to prove to my teachers that I am not a BCC student.
Original post by Dezer
Thanks so much again for the great response, I really do appreciate it. I guess I should contact my Head of Sixth Form and ask them if they can do anything. I will be working as hard as I can over summer to prove to my teachers that I am not a BCC student.

@Dezer that sounds like the best idea. You're very welcome, if there's ever anything you think I can help with feel free to pop a message over and I'd be happy to :smile: Take care, and good luck!

Literally in the same situation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending