Name:  Annotation 2020-07-16 123124.png
Views: 13
Size:  29.6 KB
bored_user:)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is A lol. Distance is greater than 0 but when it returns to the same spot the displacement would be 0. Okay?
Becca216
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bored_user:))
It is A lol. Distance is greater than 0 but when it returns to the same spot the displacement would be 0. Okay?
Incorrect.

(Original post by LeLivre)
My answer was B, but that's incorrect.
Can anyone help me out?
Name:  Annotation 2020-07-16 123124.png
Views: 13
Size:  29.6 KB
You know the angular velocity - pi/2 (rad/s)
You know the time - 6 (seconds)

Using your knowledge about how many radians are in a circle, workout how long it will take to complete a whole turn, then work out how much further it will travel in the time remaining
bored_user:)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Becca216)
Incorrect.

Using your knowledge about how many radians are in a circle, workout how long it will take to complete a whole turn, then work out how much further it will travel in the time remaining
I missed the 6 seconds lol. I hate my life lmaooo
LeLivre
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Incorrect.

I found that the time period is 4 seconds using w= 2pi/T
However, my answer always ends up as 2.4pi or 0.8pi
I'm using (2pi)rt/T
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I found that the time period is 4 seconds using w= 2pi/T
However, my answer always ends up as 2.4pi or 0.8pi
I'm using (2pi)rt/T
So, you know that if the time period is 4, then in 6 seconds 1 and 1/2 cycles are completed. Now 1/2 a cycle = pi = 180 degrees, or in other words a straight line.

You know the radius so if the car ends up exactly opposite then you can work out the displacement.

It is a bit of a tricky question when you first look at it, but the easiest way to solve it is not by using equations but by using a bit of logic and problem solving
LeLivre
Rep:
?
So, you know that if the time period is 4, then in 6 seconds 1 and 1/2 cycles are completed. Now 1/2 a cycle = pi = 180 degrees, or in other words a straight line.

You know the radius so if the car ends up exactly opposite then you can work out the displacement.

It is a bit of a tricky question when you first look at it, but the easiest way to solve it is not by using equations but by using a bit of logic and problem solving
I worked out the circumference of the semicircle but I still get 0.8pi but the circumference of the entire circle gives me 1.6pi
Sorry I'm very confused
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I worked out the circumference of the semicircle but I still get 0.8pi but the circumference of the entire circle gives me 1.6pi
Sorry I'm very confused
You don't need to work out the circumference - the displacement is not the route it took but the most direct 'line' from where it started to where it finished - in this case that would be the diameter.

Hope that makes some kind of sense
LeLivre
Rep:
?
You don't need to work out the circumference - the displacement is not the route it took but the most direct 'line' from where it started to where it finished - in this case that would be the diameter.

Hope that makes some kind of sense
Oh thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense!
So would the answer be C?
So sorry for wasting your time...
Last edited by LeLivre; 4 weeks ago
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes it would and no worries
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (87)
25.29%
Better than expected (73)
21.22%
Worse than expected (184)
53.49%

Watched Threads