i'm in y11 and nearly finished the a level maths course, is this too much?

Watch
limitlesspuffy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm doing the edexcel maths board, I finished the as course a few weeks ago and I'm now on integration year 2. Is this too much? I only spend an hour or 2 each day on it...
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If it's keeping you busy and happy then it's fine.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
as long as you're not overworking yourself, it's okay i guess. the lessons when you go back to school will likely test how much you understand from what you've self taught then.
Raven Firefly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by limitlesspuffy)
I'm doing the edexcel maths board, I finished the as course a few weeks ago and I'm now on integration year 2. Is this too much? I only spend an hour or 2 each day on it...
If its only a hour or 2 a day. Great you can get those A*s
yzanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
seeing as the majority of my friends who did maths didn't even finish the course by the time we had finished a levels.....(cut short by miss rona but still)

it's very clever. make sure it doesn't compromise your mental health. :yep:
Tayaa8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
no, that's amazing. Keep going , God Bless truly
limitlesspuffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
If it's keeping you busy and happy then it's fine.
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
as long as you're not overworking yourself, it's okay i guess. the lessons when you go back to school will likely test how much you understand from what you've self taught then.
(Original post by Raven Firefly)
If its only a hour or 2 a day. Great you can get those A*s
(Original post by yzanne)
seeing as the majority of my friends who did maths didn't even finish the course by the time we had finished a levels.....(cut short by miss rona but still)

it's very clever. make sure it doesn't compromise your mental health. :yep:
(Original post by Tayaa8)
no, that's amazing. Keep going , God Bless truly
Thank you, you all are too nice!
Would you recommend anything else I could do which would be useful for going into sixth form? The other subjects I'm taking are Biology and Chemistry and still contemplating whether to take further maths or not lol.
ScoutLeopard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Seems like you're doing great! I'm in the same boat as you but instead of teaching myself maths, I'm learning Computer Science. I think it's a great idea - as long as you don't overwork yourself. For further maths, I would say go for it! You can start off with it but always drop it later if you are struggling (that's what I plan to do). Plus, you can always try teaching yourself the content for further maths to see if you like it or not as well as if it is too difficult.
limitlesspuffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by ScoutLeopard)
Seems like you're doing great! I'm in the same boat as you but instead of teaching myself maths, I'm learning Computer Science. I think it's a great idea - as long as you don't overwork yourself. For further maths, I would say go for it! You can start off with it but always drop it later if you are struggling (that's what I plan to do). Plus, you can always try teaching yourself the content for further maths to see if you like it or not as well as if it is too difficult.
Thank you! What other subjects are you taking? Have you started the Further maths course?
Humairazaman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wow, im in yr 11 but i think you’re doing amazing. I’m doing Maths too but I’ve only covered the AS content for now(apart from 2-3 subtopics). Have u done the same for ur other subjects?

keep going, but dont burn urself out!
rxc03
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Would you recommend anything else I could do which would be useful for going into sixth form? The other subjects I'm taking are Biology and Chemistry and still contemplating whether to take further maths or not lol.
it sounds like you're doing really well and would definitely be able to handle further maths!!
i was in a similar position to you last year with having done most of a level maths (i did igcse further pure maths) and taking further maths was probably one of my best decisions, it's fast-paced, really interesting and you're surrounded by people who enjoy the subject. i dropped it last term because i do 2 other essay subjects so i didn't have enough time to give it all of my attention and wanted to focus more on normal applied maths anyway, but you're in a really strong position so this shouldn't be a problem for you!
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Spoiler:
Show
FWIW I did the same, doing maths at uni now if you want to ask any questions

Nah it's not too much. I assume you're doing this out of interest - if (when) you get bored with A-level content you can start trying STEP problems. Or any problems of a suitable level in that flavour.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you're finding A-level maths easy (and I assume you are by the looks of things) - you'll be well on track for an good grade in FM.

And if you're this interested in maths - why not take FM?
mxxnal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
nope you are good! just dont overwork yourself and dont be too hard on yourself ♡ keep going
Akash1234567
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's fine but just be careful. I did the same for additional maths FSMQ and I got a B instead of an A (I got a 9 in IGCSE maths though). For A levels I worked slightly ahead and I have an A* Predicted for Maths. Just be careful. No problem with it.
TakeALittleWalk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Damn I’ve only just started AS 😂. You using the textbook?
tae155
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thats really good. As long as it doesnt tire you out or affect your health then its fine
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
read up the spec but i wouldn't do much else.
limitlesspuffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Humairazaman)
Wow, im in yr 11 but i think you’re doing amazing. I’m doing Maths too but I’ve only covered the AS content for now(apart from 2-3 subtopics). Have u done the same for ur other subjects?

keep going, but dont burn urself out!
It's great that you've covered AS content, I'm only about half way through the A level course and if I decide to take further maths, I would have to finish the maths a level course in a year anyway. I've started doing some for my other subjects but finding it a little hard as it's more about learning theory rather than just doing questions. I have kind of gone through the AS content but not sure if it was done effectively.
limitlesspuffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by rxc03)
it sounds like you're doing really well and would definitely be able to handle further maths!!
i was in a similar position to you last year with having done most of a level maths (i did igcse further pure maths) and taking further maths was probably one of my best decisions, it's fast-paced, really interesting and you're surrounded by people who enjoy the subject. i dropped it last term because i do 2 other essay subjects so i didn't have enough time to give it all of my attention and wanted to focus more on normal applied maths anyway, but you're in a really strong position so this shouldn't be a problem for you!
Thank you! Are you at uni now? If so, what course are you doing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (165)
25%
Better than expected (133)
20.15%
Worse than expected (362)
54.85%

Watched Threads