Purple_Giraffe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
How do you all manage meals (lunch and dinner) while studying at uni? I mean do you all cook or purchase meals? What would be the monthly budget and how do one manage it?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Noodles.

Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Noodles.

Are they ready-to-eat ones or take-outs?
Don't tell me you could eat noodles all the time
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Purple_Giraffe)
Are they ready-to-eat ones or take-outs?
Don't tell me you could eat noodles all the time
Ramen from China town
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How do you all manage meals (lunch and dinner) while studying at uni? I mean do you all cook or purchase meals? What would be the monthly budget and how do one manage it?
Dinners.
I normally try and plan 6 meals a week.
I just go to a supermarket with a loose plan: and id cook up like minced beef, turkey, chicken breasts & veg. I would normally also make 2-3 meals at once so cook it all then box up spare portions (often this means eating the same meal twice a week, but speed and convenience...). I also buy lots of the dry seasoning sachets like chilli, fajita, paprika, lime & coriander... these are easy just to chuck on food.
I also keep rice, pasta, baked beans, tomato pasata in the cupboard.

Lunch.
I normally just make wraps and take crisps or fruit to have with them. if you have access to a kitchen at lunch time then microwave soup, or leftovers also easy. My second year of uni i basically lived off 40p ramen noodles packets for lunch.
Sometimes id buy a jacket potato or a pannini at uni...
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Dinners.
I normally try and plan 6 meals a week.
I just go to a supermarket with a loose plan: and id cook up like minced beef, turkey, chicken breasts & veg. I would normally also make 2-3 meals at once so cook it all then box up spare portions (often this means eating the same meal twice a week, but speed and convenience...). I also buy lots of the dry seasoning sachets like chilli, fajita, paprika, lime & coriander... these are easy just to chuck on food.
I also keep rice, pasta, baked beans, tomato pasata in the cupboard.

Lunch.
I normally just make wraps and take crisps or fruit to have with them. if you have access to a kitchen at lunch time then microwave soup, or leftovers also easy. My second year of uni i basically lived off 40p ramen noodles packets for lunch.
Sometimes id buy a jacket potato or a pannini at uni...
Wow thanks!!
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Purple_Giraffe
I've just finished first year and generally I would plan 3/4 meals per week and then have leftovers the other nights. I would shop once a fortnight and buy enough food for 2 weeks at a time. I would put things like bread in the freezer to stop it going off. I normally shopped at Aldi and spent about £10-15 a week (so about £45 a month). I would also freeze leftovers if I didn't want a meal 2 nights in a row so that I had a stock of meals ready to go in the freezer. For lunch I would normally make a sandwich or have soup or beans on toast, which were easy to make quickly at lunch time. I would also sometimes get lunch at uni with friends or get pizza so it is worth budgeting for that as well.
Let me know if you have any other questions
Sophie
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep)
Hi Purple_Giraffe
I've just finished first year and generally I would plan 3/4 meals per week and then have leftovers the other nights. I would shop once a fortnight and buy enough food for 2 weeks at a time. I would put things like bread in the freezer to stop it going off. I normally shopped at Aldi and spent about £10-15 a week (so about £45 a month). I would also freeze leftovers if I didn't want a meal 2 nights in a row so that I had a stock of meals ready to go in the freezer. For lunch I would normally make a sandwich or have soup or beans on toast, which were easy to make quickly at lunch time. I would also sometimes get lunch at uni with friends or get pizza so it is worth budgeting for that as well.
Sophie
How much would you say the cost of lunch at uni be?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How much would you say the cost of lunch at uni be?
If you make your own lunch and shop at Aldi or Lidl, then you can probably get it cheaper then £1.50/day
If you buy food out & about then £3-4/day
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep)
Hi Purple_Giraffe
Sophie
O.o how do you manage to live so cheaply?

Do you buy a lot?
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
If you make your own lunch and shop at Aldi or Lidl, then you can probably get it cheaper then £1.50/day
If you buy food out & about then £3-4/day
Thanks !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (185)
38.38%
Take autumn exams (148)
30.71%
Look for a job (16)
3.32%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.36%
Take a year out (84)
17.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.81%

Watched Threads