?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
best colleges for acting
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Anyone at any college can get involved in the drama scene at Cambridge. Some colleges have their own shows or college societies in relation to it but there's tons of stuff at uni level in any case.
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lilyhundre)
best colleges for acting
Christ's, Sidney Sussex and Jesus are particularly near the ADC (the main university theatre) but most colleges aren't that far away. Corpus Christi has the Corpus Playroom which is CUADC's secondary venue, but there's not really a particular connection between shows put on there and students at Corpus. Homerton has lots of thespians because of the large number of English Education and Drama students, and is objectively the best college. Probably the two colleges with the most active drama societies in terms of putting shows on at those colleges are Pembroke (if I had to single out a single college as most thespy it would be Pembroke) and Robinson, with the latter having the biggest theatre. Some other colleges that seem to have reasonably active societies are Queens', Magdalene, Downing and Selwyn. You can see a list of all the college societies here and view past shows for a society on its society history page, but bear in mind that college societies don't have a super close relationship with the shows they put on -- anyone can audition for any show, and often college societies put on shows at other venues with little involvement other than providing funding.
R T
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
going to echo Paralove. If you are serious about a hobby or interest (to the point where its a main question of which college to pick), then your interest is going to take you to things put on for the Uni itself or even in Cambridge itself (the town, not the uni). College based activities are typically much lower commitment and for a broader range of experience/ skill. Beyond this even, a lot of College level groups, clubs and societies accept people from other colleges if that other college does not have an equivalent club/society.

So, it doesn't matter. But you might want to consider that applying to somewhere like Girton would mean a 20 minute bus/ cycle to and from any performances or rehearsals based in town. And while certain Colleges are near certain big theatres, keep in mind that their College accommodation (where students will actually be headed to/from) might be quite a lot further away.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (6)
17.14%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (10)
28.57%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (19)
54.29%

Watched Threads