Want more information about this university?
Purple_Giraffe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
How do you all manage meals (lunch and dinner) while studying at uni? I mean do you all cook or purchase meals? What would be the monthly budget and how does one manage it?
yzanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i think there are some apps that people use for this..... i will tag in the trusty uni student TheStarboy (loser I won)
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by yzanne)
i think there are some apps that people use for this..... i will tag in the trusty uni student TheStarboy (loser I won)
Thanks!
TheStarboy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by yzanne)
Okay, you won (this time)

At uni. I usually cook enough food for 3 days in one night. You need a good estimate for a budget. It shouldn't be fixed since you need to consider all the takeaways.
Last edited by TheStarboy; 2 weeks ago
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheStarboy)
Okay, you won (this time)

At uni. I usually cook enough food for 3 days in one night. You need a good estimate for a budget. It shouldn't be fixed since you need to consider all the takeaways.
How much according to you should be an adequate budget for food for a month?
TheStarboy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Purple_Giraffe)
How much according to you should be an adequate budget for food for a month?
£50 per month. This worked for me when I only shopped at Tesco’s.
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
Thanks!! I will factor this amount in my budget planning
Anonymous #1
Report 6 days ago
Thanks!! I will factor this amount in my budget planning
£50 a month? That’s £12.50 a week. What on earth does your diet consist of - bread and water? That’s absolutely not enough.

OP, test it out for yourself. Take yourself to the supermarket, and spend £12.50 on food. Look at how much you’ve got and try to make it last for 7 days, new flash, it won’t.

I’m a petite person who barely eats anything, and even £25 a week barely gets me enough food to last 7 days. Which is £100 a month.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 days ago
£50 a month? That’s £12.50 a week. What on earth does your diet consist of - bread and water? That’s absolutely not enough.

OP, test it out for yourself. Take yourself to the supermarket, and spend £12.50 on food. Look at how much you’ve got and try to make it last for 7 days, new flash, it won’t.

I’m a petite person who barely eats anything, and even £25 a week barely gets me enough food to last 7 days. Which is £100 a month.
h.findlay321
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Personally I agree that £12.50 a week on food is not sustainable. If you have staples in your cupboard then £25-£35 a week is what I spend. It obviously changes a bit every week depending on what I’m up to. But I find this budget allows me to maintain a healthy diet at uni.

With regards to this budget, a typical week of meals for me would include:

- cereal/toast/porridge for breakfast in the week and a bacon sandwich/eggs etc on weekends
- packed lunch at uni: sandwich/salad/wraps/pasta salad etc plus snacks/fruit/chocolate bar/crisps etc
- for dinner: pasta with sauce, stir fry, chicken kiev/goujons, sausage & mash, risotto, mac cheese, roasted veg (just normal dinner meals really)

Planning is your best friend. I recommend doing a weekly shop as you can plan in advance and it’s open cheaper to bulk buy. Before doing a weekly shop plan your meals and try and get them to work together, e.g. buy a pack of 2 chicken breasts and make a curry one night and chicken pasta bake another night

Also allow for snacks and treats for when you need a pick-me-up or you’re feeling stressed!!
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

so even £100 wouldn't ideally suffice, right?
Anonymous #1
Report 5 days ago
so even £100 wouldn't ideally suffice, right?
Hmm it’s do-able, but personally £100 monthly budget for me is not enough to have a well balanced diet. I mean I can get a few fruit and veggies, milk, bread, noodles etc but by day 6/7 I am struggling/ feeling hungry. Plus it only gets me enough to make 2 meals a day.

So, look after yourself - don’t spend as little as you can just to have spare income for other things like clothes or cinema trips... while simultaneously sacrificing your health and only living off 15p noodles! You can’t put a price on your health. So prioritise your necessities (food🤣) before spending money on luxuries 😊

P.S you can always start doing £25 a week but realise it’s not enough and you’re going hungry, increase it to £30 or £35 per week. You’ll soon learn what works for you as everyone’s different
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hmm it’s do-able, but personally £100 monthly budget for me is not enough to have a well balanced diet. I mean I can get a few fruit and veggies, milk, bread, noodles etc but by day 6/7 I am struggling/ feeling hungry. Plus it only gets me enough to make 2 meals a day.

So, look after yourself - don’t spend as little as you can just to have spare income for other things like clothes or cinema trips... while simultaneously sacrificing your health and only living off 15p noodles! You can’t put a price on your health. So prioritise your necessities (food🤣) before spending money on luxuries 😊

P.S you can always start doing £25 a week but realise it’s not enough and you’re going hungry, increase it to £30 or £35 per week. You’ll soon learn what works for you as everyone’s different
Thanks!!
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I agree with the others, the only way you're surviving on £12.50 on food per week is if you only go to Aldi/Lidl and plan what you eat religiously, and even then you would probably need stuff like big bags of rice on top of that, and you would have to be living a fairly sedentary lifestyle. Or alternatively if you eat out the majority of the time and then occasionally cook at home, and that £12.50 is only for what you cook at home.

Personally, I'd say do a more expensive first week shop (or 2/3) to get a big bag of rice (probably from an Asian supermarket), some quorn mince, and a selection of herbs and spices for things you want to cook. In terms of your regular weekly shop, go for pasta, chicken thighs, vegetables, sauces and/or base ingredients to make sauces e.g. chopped tomatoes, then fruit, beans, cereal, milk, plus a couple of packets of snacks. Things like bread and fish are also good additions though not necessarily weekly. Portion sizing is also important, that might get you an extra meal for each time you cook if you do meal prep. You should be able to happily get these things for ~£20 per week, but yeah as above you can always get more food if you're feeling hungry during the week, or buy less if things are going to waste or you have pasta piling up in your cupboard.
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Helloworld_95 Thanks!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (44)
40.74%
Take autumn exams (38)
35.19%
Look for a job (2)
1.85%
Consider an apprenticeship (3)
2.78%
Take a year out (15)
13.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
5.56%

Watched Threads