Lancaster University vs Warwick Business Scool - MSc

Watch
mf2020
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need help choosing universities. I applied to Lancaster University for MSc Quantitative Finance, and WBS for MSc Mathematical Finance.

Initially, WBS was my first choice. However, now I'm reconsidering as they sent me an offer for MSc Business & Finance. Which is slightly disappointing, but I'm open to studying it as well.
My offer from LU also came with a scholarship of £8000.

As of now, I have 4 days left to respond.

The facts I have to consider:
LU:
- I'll be studying what I want - (finance with mathematics components)
- Half the price (£15,000)
- Will also study programming (something firms like and something important)
- A good school locally, but not as good as WBS in terms of reputation globally.
- Nicer campus (apparently)
WBS:
- Better global reputation, better rankings (FT, Qs & TIE)
- CareersPlus Service and QTEM Masters Network Programme
- Better average salaries for graduates
- Much closer to London (where I'd like to work)
- Not getting to study programming but could easily study it through side courses etc
- Not getting to study mathematical components
- Much more expensive (£29,000)

I want to know which university will help me best in a career as a financial analyst or a quant. I also want to know whether WBS would be worth twice as much as LU.
whatitdobabyeee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to Lancaster Uni. The campus is grim, and I had the worst time but in all honesty if they're offering you a scholarship you should 100% go. I think they're triple accredited (something less than 1% of business schools in the World boast) and it's a decent uni in terms of teaching (I went for Law).

EDIT : apparently, Warwick's triple accredited too lol
It really depends on where you feel you'd be at ease
Last edited by whatitdobabyeee; 1 year ago
mf2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by whatitdobabyeee)
I went to Lancaster Uni. The campus is grim, and I had the worst time but in all honesty if they're offering you a scholarship you should 100% go. I think they're triple accredited (something less than 1% of business schools in the World boast) and it's a decent uni in terms of teaching (I went for Law).

EDIT : apparently, Warwick's triple accredited too lol
It really depends on where you feel you'd be at ease
What makes you say you had the worst time there? Pls elaborate, I need all the info I can get
My question really is about getting a good placement in the end. Like, I know it also depends on me and what skills I possess, but is the WBS placement office really that much better than Lancaster's?
whatitdobabyeee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mf2020)
What makes you say you had the worst time there? Pls elaborate, I need all the info I can get
My question really is about getting a good placement in the end. Like, I know it also depends on me and what skills I possess, but is the WBS placement office really that much better than Lancaster's?
I'm from Paris, originally and I just did not enjoy myself. Not for a second. The staff simply does not care about you as an individual, the campus in itself is very grey, pretty boring and far from the city...When it comes to the difference between both Business Schools, I really can't tell you more than what I've said before, I don't know much about Business (I did have a friend who told me the department was okay, though)
mf2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by whatitdobabyeee)
I'm from Paris, originally and I just did not enjoy myself. Not for a second. The staff simply does not care about you as an individual, the campus in itself is very grey, pretty boring and far from the city...When it comes to the difference between both Business Schools, I really can't tell you more than what I've said before, I don't know much about Business (I did have a friend who told me the department was okay, though)
And what was the perception of the school from the people around you? Were most people equally unhappy? Also I'm sure Lancaster would be very underwhelming compared to Paris lool.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mf2020)
I need help choosing universities. I applied to Lancaster University for MSc Quantitative Finance, and WBS for MSc Mathematical Finance.

Initially, WBS was my first choice. However, now I'm reconsidering as they sent me an offer for MSc Business & Finance. Which is slightly disappointing, but I'm open to studying it as well.
My offer from LU also came with a scholarship of £8000.

As of now, I have 4 days left to respond.

The facts I have to consider:
LU:
- I'll be studying what I want - (finance with mathematics components)
- Half the price (£15,000)
- Will also study programming (something firms like and something important)
- A good school locally, but not as good as WBS in terms of reputation globally.
- Nicer campus (apparently)
WBS:
- Better global reputation, better rankings (FT, Qs & TIE)
- CareersPlus Service and QTEM Masters Network Programme
- Better average salaries for graduates
- Much closer to London (where I'd like to work)
- Not getting to study programming but could easily study it through side courses etc
- Not getting to study mathematical components
- Much more expensive (£29,000)

I want to know which university will help me best in a career as a financial analyst or a quant. I also want to know whether WBS would be worth twice as much as LU.
Hello,
I'm currently a student at Lancaster so I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. I just want to add some things that you might like to consider!
You'd be in Graduate college (we have a college system at Lancaster). This means if you'd like to live in campus you'd be living in Graduate college accommodation (located in south-west campus). You'd be living with other Grads and would be near Grad bar (although anyone can visit any college bar) which has a weekly curry night, as well as being near Grad-only social and study spaces. There's also Grad only study spaces in the library, as well as in town if you decide to live there.
Each college has an elected JCR which consists of students in the college who run events and welfare for the students of that college. They'll organise moving in and welcome week as well as social events throughout the year and provide someone to chat to if you need support.
You can chat to current students using UniBuddy, and of course feel free to email the department if you have any course specific questions: [email protected]
Also - we're quadruple-accredited world-ranked for this course.
I hope this info was useful and let me know if there's anything I can help you with!
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.18%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.67%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.96%
I need help with my personal statement (57)
40.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.09%

Watched Threads