Getting a blood test next week and really nervous

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've never had one before and I've been nervous every since I was told this Monday, they think I might be anaemic but they just want to check just in case.

I've heard it's not even that bad and I've heard it's painful etc.

I need tips in how to calm myself down during it and how long it lasts etc...

Thank you!
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Blood tests are very quick if you have fairly accessible veins - about five minutes or so? The technician will have done loads of blood tests before and know exactly what they’re doing

It helps if you don’t look at the needle and focus on your breathing, it really is over very quickly and not much more painful than a vaccine :hugs: You can have bruising afterwards and it’s a little sore but after a few hours you usually feel fine. You might feel a bit faint too, it’s worth taking a sugary snack or something to have afterwards.

:goodluck:
Anonymous #1
(Original post by becausethenight)
Blood tests are very quick if you have fairly accessible veins - about five minutes or so? The technician will have done loads of blood tests before and know exactly what they’re doing

It helps if you don’t look at the needle and focus on your breathing, it really is over very quickly and not much more painful than a vaccine :hugs: You can have bruising afterwards and it’s a little sore but after a few hours you usually feel fine. You might feel a bit faint too, it’s worth taking a sugary snack or something to have afterwards.

:goodluck:
Awwww thank you so much!! This was massively helpful ☺️ I always overthink vaccines and there completely fine after 😂 just hate the thought of blood coming out of me. Thank you so much ☺️
CloudySkies238
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi I've had a ton of blood tests - even had one this week!! If you don't have visible veins, make sure you eat a warm meal and wear 2 layers of clothing (i normally wear a top and a jumper) this just helps the veins 'pop' up on the skin.
Its slightly painful but thats only when the needle enters the skin. Look away from the needle and count down from 100 to 0 and it will be over before you get to the end.
You might feel a bit faint so take a snack for afterwards.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CloudySkies238)
Hi I've had a ton of blood tests - even had one this week!! If you don't have visible veins, make sure you eat a warm meal and wear 2 layers of clothing (i normally wear a top and a jumper) this just helps the veins 'pop' up on the skin.
Its slightly painful but thats only when the needle enters the skin. Look away from the needle and count down from 100 to 0 and it will be over before you get to the end.
You might feel a bit faint so take a snack for afterwards.
Ooohh thank you so much!! I sadly can't have a warm meal as its in the morning! But I'll definitely wearing 2 layers of clothing! Okay I'll focus on my breathing and counting down that should hopefully help ☺️ ill bring a snack! Thank you ☺️

It's just my first ever one 😭 really nervous
CloudySkies238
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ooohh thank you so much!! I sadly can't have a warm meal as its in the morning! But I'll definitely wearing 2 layers of clothing! Okay I'll focus on my breathing and counting down that should hopefully help ☺️ ill bring a snack! Thank you ☺️

It's just my first ever one 😭 really nervous
It'll be ok!! Just remember nurses do this all the time so they'll be able to get the blood effectively I don't know if you are having it done at your GP surgery but occasionally I've listened to music through my headphones - might be a bit rude but if it calms you down then that might be a option
itscourtchicks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ve had a few blood tests before. All but one of them were absolutely ok, no problems at all. Only on that one time did I faint, but that’s because I hadn’t eaten before, I was getting myself incredibly worked up and I was in a different clinic that I wasn’t used to.
You do feel an initial pinch as the needle goes in, and it does feel a bit funny, but I would not say it’s painful in any way.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by itscourtchicks)
I’ve had a few blood tests before. All but one of them were absolutely ok, no problems at all. Only on that one time did I faint, but that’s because I hadn’t eaten before, I was getting myself incredibly worked up and I was in a different clinic that I wasn’t used to.
You do feel an initial pinch as the needle goes in, and it does feel a bit funny, but I would not say it’s painful in any way.
Oh okay thank you!! I'll have a big breakfast before then! I do get myself very worked up too from vaccines and just laugh at myself cause it wasn't even that bad. I've had vaccines in my toe and my arms and they've all been fine I just take deep breaths and tighten my grip around my hands
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've never had one before and I've been nervous every since I was told this Monday, they think I might be anaemic but they just want to check just in case.

I've heard it's not even that bad and I've heard it's painful etc.

I need tips in how to calm myself down during it and how long it lasts etc...

Thank you!
I have them every few weeks ... I must be special :-)
Can't say I look forward to them, but they're not anything to be stressed about.
itscourtchicks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh okay thank you!! I'll have a big breakfast before then! I do get myself very worked up too from vaccines and just laugh at myself cause it wasn't even that bad. I've had vaccines in my toe and my arms and they've all been fine I just take deep breaths and tighten my grip around my hands
Yes, make sure you eat and drink a good amount for breakfast, you don’t want to have low blood sugars. Maybe bring someone with you if you can, if that makes you less nervous. But the nurses/phlebotomists will make you feel at ease.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I will just say, make sure you're allowed to eat before the blood test, you're not always supposed to.

You'll be okay, OP. Try not to build it up in your mind.
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Awwww thank you so much!! This was massively helpful ☺️ I always overthink vaccines and there completely fine after 😂 just hate the thought of blood coming out of me. Thank you so much ☺️
Understandable, it's a weird thought Glad that was helpful and good luck!
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Like everyone else has said it'll be fine :hugs:its really quick (have one everyone few months myself) and they'll normally try and talk to you just to distract you if you stay pretty hydrated the day before by drinking water it should make things easier on the actual day, as you're veins should be easier to see them
If you're extremely lucky you might even get a cushion, but i've only had that happen to me once...
CloudySkies238
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh one more thing! Don't lift anything, it sounds so obvious but the first time i went to the co op afterwards and carried some bags home and i got the biggest bruise ever
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by itscourtchicks)
Yes, make sure you eat and drink a good amount for breakfast, you don’t want to have low blood sugars. Maybe bring someone with you if you can, if that makes you less nervous. But the nurses/phlebotomists will make you feel at ease.
I sadly cant i will though!!! tomorrow ...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
I will just say, make sure you're allowed to eat before the blood test, you're not always supposed to.

You'll be okay, OP. Try not to build it up in your mind.
hahaha i'll try not too so so bad at overthinking
Anonymous #1
(Original post by becausethenight)
Understandable, it's a weird thought Glad that was helpful and good luck!
Thank youuuu!!
physicsamor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly it's so quick just look away the whole time and then it's over. They have a lot of patients to see so they don't waste any time. They don't want to hurt you or do their job wrong. They just want to do their job. I always treat myself to sweet food after.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Chronoscope)
Like everyone else has said it'll be fine :hugs:its really quick (have one everyone few months myself) and they'll normally try and talk to you just to distract you if you stay pretty hydrated the day before by drinking water it should make things easier on the actual day, as you're veins should be easier to see them
If you're extremely lucky you might even get a cushion, but i've only had that happen to me once...
cusssiiioonnn! I want one haha. Thank you so much!!! this was really sweet and reassuring, I've tried to keep water down but been out all day so couldn't drink too much hopefully will still be okay
Anonymous #1
(Original post by physicsamor)
Honestly it's so quick just look away the whole time and then it's over. They have a lot of patients to see so they don't waste any time. They don't want to hurt you or do their job wrong. They just want to do their job. I always treat myself to sweet food after.
Awww thank you! This actually really helped! I'll definitely go to the shops after to treat myself to something ☺️ just some seconds of pain right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (60)
24.79%
Better than expected (51)
21.07%
Worse than expected (131)
54.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed