Finance for Access to HE Medicine and Medical degree courses

Watch
Foug20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I have a degree (graduated 1996) in a non-STEM subject, currently work for the NHS and would like to know if it's possible to get a loan/funding for Access to HE Medicine Diploma followed by Medical degree course with a household income of £44k pa.
Thanks in advance.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Foug20)
Hi, I have a degree (graduated 1996) in a non-STEM subject, currently work for the NHS and would like to know if it's possible to get a loan/funding for Access to HE Medicine Diploma followed by Medical degree course with a household income of £44k pa.
Thanks in advance.
Hi there, an Access to HE course is further education and you can receive a Tuition Fee Loan only by applying for an Advanced Learner Loan, you will be eligible if you meet the residency criteria and as long as you have never had funding for an Access to HE course previously. You can find out more information about this loan here http://ow.ly/7LGy30oSeKg - you must find an eligible provider that accepts Advanced Learner Loans, you can find an eligible provider by searching this https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/find-a-course database.

The loan can be written off if you go to university afterwards and complete a higher education course fully and gain a degree.

Regarding the Medical degree, will this be undergraduate medicine or graduate entry medicine? Can you provide the university name and course name so I can review the database?
Thanks, Isaac
Foug20
Rep:
?
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your helpful reply.

It would be for undergraduate medicine and I am interested in Southampton and London/South East universities.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Isaac,

It would be for undergraduate medicine and I am interested in Southampton and London/South East universities.
Undergraduate medicine is not an exceptions course, you will be able to apply for a Maintenance Loan but will have to self fund the tuition fee.
Thanks, Isaac
Foug20
Rep:
?
Hi Isaac,

Foug20
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Undergraduate medicine is not an exceptions course, you will be able to apply for a Maintenance Loan but will have to self fund the tuition fee.
Thanks, Isaac
Thanks Isaac, that's very helpful.

Just read on Southampton Uni's website that they accept 2:1 degree for any discipline to study Graduate degree in medicine. Would I be able to get help with tuition fee for this one?
Last edited by Foug20; 4 weeks ago
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks Isaac, that's very helpful.

Just read on Southampton Uni's website that they accept 2:1 degree for any discipline to study Graduate degree in medicine. Would I be able to get help with tuition fee for this one?
You're welcome
Foug20
Rep:
?
Sorry Isaac, I just read on Southampton Uni's website that they accept 2:1 degree for any discipline to study Graduate degree in medicine. Would I be able to get help with tuition fee for this one?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry Isaac, I just read on Southampton Uni's website that they accept 2:1 degree for any discipline to study Graduate degree in medicine. Would I be able to get help with tuition fee for this one?
Hi, for graduate entry medicine you can receive funding.

Here is the guidance we have for graduate entry medicine:

Tuition Fees
From the 2017/18 AY HEPs can charge tuition fees of up to £9,250. This change affects both new and continuing students. For more information on the increase to tuition fees, please see Article 4431.

Year 1 – The student will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.

Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

If they want a tuition fee loan they need to confirm the amount they want to borrow on the Loan Request Form.

Maintenance Funding
Year 1 – The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant.

Years 2-4 – The student can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Isaac
Foug20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, for graduate entry medicine you can receive funding.

Here is the guidance we have for graduate entry medicine:

Tuition Fees
From the 2017/18 AY HEPs can charge tuition fees of up to £9,250. This change affects both new and continuing students. For more information on the increase to tuition fees, please see Article 4431.

Year 1 – The student will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.

Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

If they want a tuition fee loan they need to confirm the amount they want to borrow on the Loan Request Form.

Maintenance Funding
Year 1 – The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant.

Years 2-4 – The student can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Isaac
Thanks so much for this detailed information Isaac!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (159)
24.77%
Better than expected (132)
20.56%
Worse than expected (351)
54.67%

Watched Threads