Emily~3695
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have just finished year 11 and I will be starting a levels in September, for part of my bridging work I have to create a 5 minute presentation on an area of physics that interests me. I am really struggling to come up with an interesting topic that is also simple enough for me to understand, I have to fully memorise this presentation so i can't use notes or a powerpoint to help me explain. I am particularly interested in Astrophysics, quantum physics and biological physics, if anyone has any ideas for topic ideas it would be really helpful
kenxa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey,

I'm also interested in astrophysics and if you read "Astrophysics for young people in a hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson then it will give you quite a good base understanding of the subject, and the way he talks about the topic in general is really interesting. If your trying to save some time I recommend getting the audiobook from audible and listening to his narration and making notes from that which you can turn into a presentation (you get a free credit on audible if you sign up for the trial and you can buy this book with a credit). It's not a long listen, about 8-9 hours I believe?? The vocabulary he uses also crosses over with the first couple topics in the A Level AQA course. Hope this helps.
Emily~3695
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by kenxa)
Hey,

I'm also interested in astrophysics and if you read "Astrophysics for young people in a hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson then it will give you quite a good base understanding of the subject, and the way he talks about the topic in general is really interesting. If your trying to save some time I recommend getting the audiobook from audible and listening to his narration and making notes from that which you can turn into a presentation (you get a free credit on audible if you sign up for the trial and you can buy this book with a credit). It's not a long listen, about 8-9 hours I believe?? The vocabulary he uses also crosses over with the first couple topics in the A Level AQA course. Hope this helps.
Thank you, I might try listening to this soon, is there any topics in particular that interest you that you think would be simple enough for someone who has just finished GCSEs to understand, this whole project is only supposed to take around 2-3 hours and I’m struggling to find a topic that isn’t overly complicated
iracundus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Emily~3695)
I have just finished year 11 and I will be starting a levels in September, for part of my bridging work I have to create a 5 minute presentation on an area of physics that interests me. I am really struggling to come up with an interesting topic that is also simple enough for me to understand, I have to fully memorise this presentation so i can't use notes or a powerpoint to help me explain. I am particularly interested in Astrophysics, quantum physics and biological physics, if anyone has any ideas for topic ideas it would be really helpful
Quantum physics is kinda hard to explain on any level so maybe don’t pick that if u can’t have notes. With Astro, maybe pick something specific that interests u, black holes, red shift idk there isn’t a super easy topic there bcz on most specs both of what u have mentioned r options studied in year two not page 3 textbook stuff so r a bit harder (for a pre alevel student) easier topics are things like particles (quarks etc.) standing waves (maybe present on how these work to cook food in a microwave). If you are set on doing the ones ur interested in u could do a presentation on relativity theory, while it sounds hard and probably is hard at uni level in alevel in the option I did (aqa) it was vague about how relativity worked therefore easy to explain in a presentation bcz the alevel study of it is very surface level so that would be a good one fore quantum maybe but again these arnt the easiest topics for bridging the gap
kenxa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you, I might try listening to this soon, is there any topics in particular that interest you that you think would be simple enough for someone who has just finished GCSEs to understand, this whole project is only supposed to take around 2-3 hours and I’m struggling to find a topic that isn’t overly complicated
Hey,

I'm also in Y11 so I understand that the a level stuff is a bit confusing at first (I started studying the course to be a bit ahead) so with the book I mentioned, honestly I would just like pick a chapter or two and base your presentation from those chapters. Here are the chapter titles :

1) The greatest story ever told
2) How to communicate with aliens
3) Let there be light
4) Between the galaxies
5) Dark Matter
6) Dark Energy
7) My favourite elements
8) Why the world is round
9) Looking up, thinking big

I enjoyed chapters 2-6 quite a bit- if you get the audiobook you can listen to specific chapters/one at a time.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What about something on the comet Neowise or comets in general?
Emily~3695
Rep:
?
(Original post by kenxa)
Hey,

I'm also in Y11 so I understand that the a level stuff is a bit confusing at first (I started studying the course to be a bit ahead) so with the book I mentioned, honestly I would just like pick a chapter or two and base your presentation from those chapters. Here are the chapter titles :

1) The greatest story ever told
2) How to communicate with aliens
3) Let there be light
4) Between the galaxies
5) Dark Matter
6) Dark Energy
7) My favourite elements
8) Why the world is round
9) Looking up, thinking big

I enjoyed chapters 2-6 quite a bit- if you get the audiobook you can listen to specific chapters/one at a time.
Thank you, I’ll definitely look into this as I’m quite interested in dark matter/ energy etc. This is very helpful
Emily~3695
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
What about something on the comet Neowise or comets in general?
That’s a good idea I might look into the Neowise comet and other comets now
Emily~3695
Rep:
?
(Original post by iracundus)
Quantum physics is kinda hard to explain on any level so maybe don’t pick that if u can’t have notes. With Astro, maybe pick something specific that interests u, black holes, red shift idk there isn’t a super easy topic there bcz on most specs both of what u have mentioned r options studied in year two not page 3 textbook stuff so r a bit harder (for a pre alevel student) easier topics are things like particles (quarks etc.) standing waves (maybe present on how these work to cook food in a microwave). If you are set on doing the ones ur interested in u could do a presentation on relativity theory, while it sounds hard and probably is hard at uni level in alevel in the option I did (aqa) it was vague about how relativity worked therefore easy to explain in a presentation bcz the alevel study of it is very surface level so that would be a good one fore quantum maybe but again these arnt the easiest topics for bridging the gap
I get that these topics are quite difficult this is why I’m struggling to come up with a simple enough topic, I think I might look into some areas of particle physics like you mentioned or maybe even the basics of relativity, thanks for the ideas it’s particular difficult when I can’t even use notes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (54)
24.43%
Better than expected (49)
22.17%
Worse than expected (118)
53.39%

Watched Threads