how to start a personal statement?

Watch
birights
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
do i just go straight in with "I really want to study ________ because..." or should i think of another sentence starter?
i feel like if i start of by saying i'm interested in _____ it won't really grab the admissions team attention? i don't know though. i'm just really struggling with how to start it.
any help and advice would be appreciated thanks!
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You may find it easier if you save the introduction for last because it is probably the most difficult part to write.
My advice for writing personal statements is that for your first draft, write anything and everything that could possibly be relevant no matter how bad it sounds. You then have time to refine it and pick out the good bits, but you can only do that if you've got something written down.
There are some sample personal statements on TSR that you can check out, some are very good and , some kind of suck.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 2 weeks ago
birights
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
You may find it easier if you save the introduction for last because it is probably the most difficult part to write.
My advice for writing personal statements is that for your first draft, write anything and everything that could possibly be relevant no matter how bad it sounds. You then have time to refine it and pick out the good bits, but you can only do that if you've got something written down.
There are some sample personal statements on TSR that you can check out, some are very good and , some kind of suck.
ah yeah i've pretty much done the rest of it (apart from the conclusion..) and i think i mainly just need my introduction now aha! i checked out the sample personal statements for the course i want to do and ...it wasn't the best haha. i'll have a look at other ones for sure though! thanks :-)
iracundus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by birights)
ah yeah i've pretty much done the rest of it (apart from the conclusion..) and i think i mainly just need my introduction now aha! i checked out the sample personal statements for the course i want to do and ...it wasn't the best haha. i'll have a look at other ones for sure though! thanks :-)
It is probably better to start with I am interested in ... because than with something over the top or pretentious that’s what our school told us when we applied, as long as the reason you want to apply is sound all they want to know is that you have an interest, not that you r a literary genius, I wouldn’t stress too much,, if u think of something better great, if you don’t then just go with why ur interested
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Please don't start with a quote or a rhetorical question - it is overdone and cliched. If you get the ideas regarding 'I am interested in...' then you may think of a better way to word it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (63)
40.91%
Take autumn exams (54)
35.06%
Look for a job (4)
2.6%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.6%
Take a year out (20)
12.99%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.84%

Watched Threads