The Student Room Group

speeding in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Reality Check
You are not 'technically eligible' for the course. You're reading that document as if it's definitive, where actually it clearly says on it that 'the criteria operated by each Police force...for SAC differs slightly'.

If you got three points out of it and a fine, that would be a good result (absent the SAC). 4+ points is more likely though. There would be no point in going to court unless you were going to contest it somehow, and had a reason to: you're likely to get a harsher penalty otherwise.

how though, for 12 miles over the speed limit to get my entire license taken away, that doesnt even make sense in itself, thats too excessive, i know many cases where people got 4 to 6 points on there license for doing double the excessive speed limit then what i have done, i understand even 3 points, but my entire license? furthermore almost 2 years of driving i have no driving offences thats quite unfair to go over 3 points.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by ReadingMum
you won't lose your job for a speeding fine, and you need to tell the insurance about a SAC anyway so it isn't a massive amount of difference as long as you don't commit another offence

yes but according to one of the people in the forums i probably will lose my license for driving 12 mph over the speed limit it what on earth?
Original post by ermss
how though, for 12 miles over the speed limit to get my entire license taken away, that doesnt even make sense in itself, thats too excessive, i know many cases where people got 4 to 6 points on there license for doing double the excessive speed limit then what i have done, i understand even 3 points, but my entire license? furthermore almost 2 years of driving i have no driving offences thats quite unfair to go over 3 points.

You're saying this as if I have some sort of say in it, or it's my fault somehow! Complain to your MP, not me.

I don't know what you will get, is the answer - and no-one does. All I can do is lay out the options: you might be lucky and get a SAC; you might be less lucky and get 3 points and a fine. Even less lucky and get 4-6 points and lose your license if you're still in the probationary period - and really, really unlucky (i.e. it was outside a school in the rain) you get prosecuted.

No-one knows...
Original post by ermss
yes but according to one of the people in the forums i probably will lose my license for driving 12 mph over the speed limit it what on earth?

No-one said 'probably'. Don't make things up.
Original post by ermss
100 percent, i just regret this because my insurance premium will sky rocket, i hope somehow i can be forgiven because i use my car for work as well so im afraid i will also lose my job which is even more worrying for a silly stupid mistake i done, i wish i could turn back what i done

You should regret it because you could have killed someone, not for selfish reasons.

Most people speed, but 50mph in a 30mph limit (assuming that it was a legitimate limit, e.g. a residential area) is extremely dangerous. Save your speeding for places where it is safe[r], e.g. motorways (with suitable conditions).
Original post by ermss

You said 20mph over - that's a massive percentage. Wait and see what happens. Be happy that you didn't kill someone, rather than moaning about how "unfair" being punished, for a crime that you admit, is.
Reply 25
Original post by RogerOxon
You said 20mph over - that's a massive percentage. Wait and see what happens. Be happy that you didn't kill someone, rather than moaning about how "unfair" being punished, for a crime that you admit, is.

firstly it was a clear 30 mph road where there are no sidewalks with no cars infront of me, theres nothing to moan
about
Reply 26
Doing 50 in a 30? By accident? lmao.

You didn't even notice that you might have been driving faster than other cars on the same road...

Tbh you're lucky you aren't being done for driving without due care and attention.
Original post by ermss
i was driving and accidentally lost track of my surroundings, when i looked down i saw i was doing 50 mph in a 30

Being constructive, what caused this, and not being aware of your speed? How can you address that?
Original post by ermss
firstly it was a clear 30 mph road where there are no sidewalks with no cars infront of me, theres nothing to moan
about

I think Reality Check has it about covered
* Try A)
* Don't be too hacked off if its B)
* Don't try your luck with C), the courts would probably take a dim view if you wasted their time.
and try to be a bit more aware in the future.
Reply 29
I hope you lose your licence to be fair. 30 zones exist for a reason.
Reply 30
Original post by ermss

If you get 6 points, that's licence gone.
Reply 31
Gateways into 30 zones or any lowering of speed limits have very large signs either side of the road so I do ask where you were looking? And why was it more important than the road ahead. You could lose you licence and it would be justified, 30 limits exist for a reason. You have to look at the stopping distance and pedestrian the chances of whether a pedestrian hit by you would survive. At 30 you’d stop in 23 meters and there would be a 60% chance of a pedestrian surviving after being hit by you. At 50 you’d stop in over twice that distance, and the chance of a pedestrian surviving would be nearly zero. And you can’t say it was safe, you admitted you had a lapse in concentration so how do you know whether it was safe or not. Like I said, you’re lucky you haven’t been done for death by dangerous driving.
Original post by ermss
i was driving and accidentally lost track of my surroundings, when i looked down i saw i was doing 50 mph in a 30 and i immediately break, unfortunately at the time i wasnt aware i was next to a camera, they caught me speeding 42 mph in a 30 mph zone, will i get 3 points taken of my license? In addition to this, it is my first and only offence i have ever had, i am 19 and almost finished driving for 2 years. I am hoping i can get the speed awareness course but i never speed in any instance because there is no need to in my opinion.

Yeah, no. There's no excuse in doing over two thirds of a speed limit.

Original post by ermss
yes it is a notice of intended prosecution, i have to give my details etc and at the back im given three options of whats going to happen, i will either, A) get the speed awareness course, B) conditional offer and fixed penalty (3 points and 100 pounds), C) court hearing.

If they adhere to the NPCC's guidance, shown above by Reality Check, then you're just in for a SAC. But in honesty I'm not seeing a SAC being handed out in these times and heard plenty of people which haven't had it given out. So expect the 3 points and £100, declare it to your insurer and most likely see premiums increase. It's a costly mistake, but at least it wasn't a fatal one.
Just also want to point out, that SAC's might not be an option at the minute, even if you are eligible, due to Covid. I've seen elsewhere where someone was caught speeding, he accepted the SAC, but then got a letter from the police, stating due to Covid, it wouldn't be going ahead and would be given 3 points and a fine instead. Also, Police don't have to offer you a SAC, if they wanted, you could be caught doing 1mph over and given 3 points and a fine, this is unlikely for 1mph over, but it can happen.

As you probably already know, you are only allowed 6 points in your first 2 years, so this doesn't put you in a good position. :smile:
I’m aware of one person who was invited to take the SAC online via Zoom because of lockdown. It may not be offered everywhere though.
Original post by Admit-One
I’m aware of one person who was invited to take the SAC online via Zoom because of lockdown. It may not be offered everywhere though.

Not heard of this, but fair play. I would spoof the video output to be a video of me looking at the screen looped whilst I fall asleep on the keyboard :laugh:
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Not heard of this, but fair play. I would spoof the video output to be a video of me looking at the screen looped whilst I fall asleep on the keyboard :laugh:

Time to bust out those glasses with the wide open eyes printed on them :smile:
50mph in a 30mph zone is probably outside the boundary for a speed awareness course.

You’ll more than likely get a fine and points on your licence. You’ll just need to wait and see.

If you’re within 2 years of passing your test, and you get 6 or more points, (not saying you will) you’ll be disqualified and you’ll have to retake your theory and practical tests again to get your licence back.

Also, it’s a lesson for you, always be aware of what the speed limit is for the road you are driving on and check your speedo regularly to ensure you aren’t speeding. Not only will it affect you and your insurance premiums, you could crash and seriously injure/kill yourself or other people
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Apple2017
50mph in a 30mph zone is probably outside the boundary for a speed awareness course.

You’ll more than likely get a fine and points on your licence. You’ll just need to wait and see.

If you’re within 2 years of passing your test, and you get 6 or more points, (not saying you will) you’ll be disqualified and you’ll have to retake your theory and practical tests again to get your licence back

He wasn't clocked at 50.
The best way to not get done for speeding is to not speed. If you really want to go fast, change the speedo to kmh, it's a life hack I learnt. I'm doing 50 in a 30 zone, but it's actually 50kmh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending