Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Nothing at all. While I agree there's a few million threads like this already over TSR - making stupid comments like 'do some research n00b' doesnt help anyone. If anyone's the n00b here ed its quite clearly you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAyy)
    He was asking for advice, what's wrong with that?
    should have done his resarch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -G-a-v-)
    Nothing at all. While I agree there's a few million threads like this already over TSR - making stupid comments like 'do some research n00b' doesnt help anyone. If anyone's the n00b here ed its quite clearly you.
    yea it does
    so he doesn't do it again

ReputationRep:
    So Edboon, if you ever posted a thread asking a question, can I say 'do research n00b' so you won't do it again? Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edboon)
    yea it does
    so he doesn't do it again
    There's nothing wrong with what he's doing. Looking at specs and past papers and everything won't give the OP the complete story really. The reason threads like this one exist is for the person to get the opinions and experiences of people who have done the modules concerned, which can be just as helpful as looking at the course content. In some sense the 'n00b' is doing research by asking the opinion of the users here. Speaking to people studying the courses can be just as helpful as knowing what the course involves e.g. an A-level physics syllabus might LOOK hellishly difficult at first glance - but actually speaking to a few physics students, with experience of doing the course, will reveal that its not as tough as it might look. Equally something might look easy but speaking to current students might show it to be more difficult than it looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAyy)
    So Edboon, if you ever posted a thread asking a question, can I say 'do research n00b' so you won't do it again? Thanks for the advice.
    i would have used the damn search function or found it my self
    if i cant then i will ask the guys at tsr n00b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -G-a-v-)
    There's nothing wrong with what he's doing. Looking at specs and past papers and everything won't give the OP the complete story really. The reason threads like this one exist is for the person to get the opinions and experiences of people who have done the modules concerned, which can be just as helpful as looking at the course content. In some sense the 'n00b' is doing research by asking the opinion of the users here. Speaking to people studying the courses can be just as helpful as knowing what the course involves e.g. an A-level physics syllabus might LOOK hellishly difficult at first glance - but actually speaking to a few physics students, with experience of doing the course, will reveal that its not as tough as it might look. Equally something might look easy but speaking to current students might show it to be more difficult than it looks.

read my first post look at MOST of his questions and where they can be and have been answered before

i admit getting the adivce on which to choose can only be found here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sports Racer)
    I did

C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1

:cool:

Stats: get a random number, plug it into one of 5 equations and hope that the long string of numbers that comes out is right
    Mech: bit of trig, bit of vectors, bit of GCSE physics

I'd recommend mechanics, even though I despised it more than stats.
    Can't do s1 and m1 together, can ya?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v1oXx-)
    another n00b
    damn scousers

ReputationRep:
    they are 2 different modules.
    each module has a 1.5hour exam

On OCR MEI you can.

Besides, you still get your 4 Pure + 2 Applied.

ReputationRep:
    No you bananas, I mean you can't do them as the two SSM can you?

You have to do S1 and S2 or M1 and M2, but that guy I quoted before said M1 and S1.

ReputationRep:
    i did S1 this year, although I hated it, with a little bit (and i really mean just a bit) of revision and doing past papers I went up from an E in my first mock to an A in my exam, so its not that hard, and there are only few formulas that you actually have to remember, which you do anyway after doing some questions, the rest is in the booklet.

Im not doing S2 though, at my school we do c1,2,3,4, s1 and m1

ReputationRep:
    Stats is very boring altough its short- if i was you id to Mechanics as its much more interesting!!

ReputationRep:
    the tread starter thinks hes a badman by getting an A*
    and then talking about stats the way he did

ReputationRep:
    No you bananas, I mean you can't do them as the two SSM can you?

You have to do S1 and S2 or M1 and M2, but that guy I quoted before said M1 and S1.
    Yeh you can. Can't do S2 without S1 or M2 without M1, and can do M1 and S1. Which in fact many schools do, mine included, as they are both AS level and so presumably easy (plus a whole host of reasons like the importance having reasonable skills in both, fairness to pupils who are only good at one). We do C1, C2, M1 for AS maths. C3, C4, S1 for A2 maths. FP1, M2, S2 for AS further maths, and FP3, M3, D1 for A2 further maths. One option you haven't mentioned, I assume because you're school doesn't offer it, is doing D1. Really simple easy module.

Otherwise, chosing between stats and mechanics and hating them both, you'll want to chose the ones easiest to get good marks in. Mechanics requires some thought and understanding and some memorising of formulas, Statistics requires very dull plugging info into formulas given in the exam (so you don't have to remember them) and a bit of pratice with some of it. So it comes down to what you find worse - having to work at stuff you don't like, or having to be very bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edboon)
    do some rescarch n00b
    Don't say the dreaded "n word" in public, it makes you look like an idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New Username)
    There was a sign that looked like 'E' which kept recurring
    :rofl:
    that made me lol
    It's called sigma.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My sis who did GCSE stat told me I'll just ace it in no time. Although, I looked at her paper and there were some complicated equations.
    There was a sign that looked like 'E' which kept recurring, I got A* in Maths, and I got no knowledge of Stat, do you think I can cope?

E meaning the sum of?

My sis who did GCSE stat told me I'll just ace it in no time. Although, I looked at her paper and there were some complicated equations.
    There was a sign that looked like 'E' which kept recurring, I got A* in Maths, and I got no knowledge of Stat, do you think I can cope?
    Well of course you didn't understand it, you've never been taught it. I mean, if I asked you to find \int^{\pi}_0 \sin x dx or find the gradient of the curve y = x^2 + \ sin4x + e^x when x = 4, you wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about. However, in two years time when you've learnt A-level maths, those questions will be very easy, because you'll understand what they mean. If you see something and don't understand it, don't worry.

(That sign that looked like an E is probably \Sigma (or "sigma"), which basically means "add up all of these things.")

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.