Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    stats is easy and a bit interesting => s1(as) and s2(a2)
    mechanics is harder in comparison => m1(as) and m2(a2)

everyone does core modules(basic math like algebra to u) => c1(as), c2(as), c3(a2), c4(a2)

i did math + f.math up to a2 and i wld say m2 is probably the hardest topic apart from fp2 and fp3(further pure modules)

i suggest doing stats, it actually isnt to boring, ok it is but, i wld still do it cos its easier, i mean it has somee reasonably interesting parts

do STATS, ok mate, lol

(Original post by Fabregas1989)
    Most of it is Core maths. Stats or mechanics is an SSM (student selected module) and constitutes only part of your course. You have to pick one, though you could ask your teachers if you can do further core maths, eg C5, C6.

I'd do mechanics, it's easy. But stats is useful for a lot of other stuff.
    You can't do Further Pure (or "further core", as you called them) modules for normal A-level maths, it needs to be two M/S/D modules.
    (Then again, I think some exam boards allow this combination and call it "pure mathematics", but I've never seen anyone on here do it.)

(Original post by v1oXx-)
    Can't do s1 and m1 together, can ya?
    'Course you can. I did. You can do any combination of applied modules for A-level maths (provided you don't do a 2 module without doing the respective 1 module, e.g. D1 and D2 is OK, but S1 and D2 is not.)

ReputationRep:
    Is the easier combo S1 and M1, or S1 and S2. Those are my 2 options.

ReputationRep:
    mechanics all the way! easy as anything in my opinion..adding and subtracting forces and knowin trig rules and you are sorted!

Is the easier combo S1 and M1, or S1 and S2. Those are my 2 options.
    S1 and S2 is probably easier, as S2 (although I haven't done it) builds largely on S1, whereas M1 is completely new and if you don't master the basic concepts, you won't be able to do it. M1's a lot more interesting, though, and also gives you better breadth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    S1 and S2 is probably easier, as S2 (although I haven't done it) builds largely on S1, whereas M1 is completely new and if you don't master the basic concepts, you won't be able to do it. M1's a lot more interesting, though, and also gives you better breadth.
    Alright thanks. I don't care which one is more exciting, which one makes me more prepared for the future etc. I just want the best grade I can get; I've never enjoyed school anyway, 2 more modules won't bother me. :p: S1 and S2 it is.

ReputationRep:
    I got negged and was told to "do my research." Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    if u want an A grade (and u arn't the best) ur best bet is doing s1 and s2, whereas if u r.good at math anyway and want an interesting topic do m1 and m2 at ur own risk lol........................

ReputationRep:
    I got negged and was told to "do my research." Oh well.
    Its probably that 'edboon' guy as he told someone else to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rackerz)
    if u want an A grade (and u arn't the best) ur best bet is doing s1 and s2, whereas if u r.good at math anyway and want an interesting topic do m1 and m2 at ur own risk lol........................
    I'd always go for interest over ability in this case. I was probably better at S2 than M2 when I did A-level, but got a better mark on M2.

Oh, and try and avoid text speak if you can. Makes things hard to read, and eventually a mod will mention it on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -G-a-v-)
    Its probably that 'edboon' guy as he told someone else to do that.
    He has 0 rep power anyway. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about not being clear its a habit.....(i spk like dis on msn all tha time), anyway I am not saying that mechanics is impossible, just that topics such as moments, whether objects will slide or topple, energy, work and power etc. can be difficult to understand first time round.

It really does help in taking mechanics if you are already doing physics as an A level, however if you are taking accountancy, economics, business studies etc. I'd probably do statistics.

Also for those who are thinking about doing decision mathematics, I thinks its a bit of a waste of time, however if your taking computing or ICT it will be useful.

ReputationRep:
    "Is has also been suggested that there are inconsistencies in the difficulties of the mathematics modules, it has been suggested that students who take mechanics modules have a harder challenge than those taking statistics or decision modules."

Just found that on wikipedia, hope it helps?? :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_level_mathematics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rackerz)
    Sorry about not being clear its a habit.....(i spk like dis on msn all tha time), anyway I am not saying that mechanics is impossible, just that topics such as moments, whether objects will slide or topple, energy, work and power etc. can be difficult to understand first time round.

It really does help in taking mechanics if you are already doing physics as an A level, however if you are taking accountancy, economics, business studies etc. I'd probably do statistics.

Also for those who are thinking about doing decision mathematics, I thinks its a bit of a waste of time, however if your taking computing or ICT it will be useful.
    Yeah don't worry about it - your other post wasn't too bad for it, but you're fairly new - so just thought I'd let you know that its not liked on here :p: just the convention (maybe even a forum rule, I'm not sure) on TSR is that text talk is bad - but now you know so it's all good I agree that mechanics can be hard to get your head round at first - just depends where your interests lie though I guess. Unless there's a big difference between interest and ability.

Decision maths is the root of all evil :p:.

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy your life, do stats, if you wish for torture do mechanics :p:
    Also the stats methods are used in Biology (not sure about economics as didn't do it at A level).
    If you were taking physics I would advise mechanics though, as they cover alot of similar topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    You can't do Further Pure (or "further core", as you called them) modules for normal A-level maths, it needs to be two M/S/D modules.
    (Then again, I think some exam boards allow this combination and call it "pure mathematics", but I've never seen anyone on here do it.)
    I think Edexcel [which is presumably the board you're on] do it too lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah don't worry about it - your other post wasn't too bad for it, but you're fairly new - so just thought I'd let you know that its not liked on here :p: just the convention (maybe even a forum rule, I'm not sure) on TSR is that text talk is bad - but now you know so it's all good I agree that mechanics can be hard to get your head round at first - just depends where your interests lie though I guess. Unless there's a big difference between interest and ability.

Decision maths is the root of all evil :p:.
    This is a great post; mechanics has some concepts which may be troublesome at first but if you get your head round those and have a very good understanding of these fundamental concepts, then all the mechanics modules after that should become very easy (assuming your core maths is up to scratch). I spent way longer on M1 than M3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xMiss_Sarahx)
    If you enjoy your life, do stats, if you wish for torture do mechanics :p:
    Also the stats methods are used in Biology (not sure about economics as didn't do it at A level).
    If you were taking physics I would advise mechanics though, as they cover alot of similar topics.
    You got them the wrong way round :p: stats is torture. tortorously boring anyway

Mechanics is great.

ReputationRep:
    You got them the wrong way round :p: stats is torture. tortorously boring anyway

Mechanics is great.
    They both bored me to tears.
    Mechanics has to be taught well.
    I can understand how some people could enjoy mechanics, but in my experience for the majority of people mechanics is a fate worse than death.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.