Am I too old to do an apprenticeship?

Watch
CF12399
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I saw a customer service apprenticeship advertised which interested me and it is a level 2 apprentice role.

I have just finished university and have a degree and I'm wondering if university graduates can apply for a level 2 apprenticeship.
Teigan182
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
some companies are weary of hiring people who are 'over-qualified' as they are worried you will leave them due to boredom, better job opportunites with your other qualifications. When applying make sure you really put emphasis on why you want to do the appretiship and try not to mention your degree for anything other than past experiences. Talk about how perhaps the appretiship will build upon what you've already learnt (if in the same area) OR talk about how you're wanting to change career paths and why.
Many companies shy away from hiring apprentises who aren't super young because younger people often don't know their rights and can easily be taken advantage of but if the place you're applying to are a decent company then they will realise that hiring you on would be a massive asset to them.
Good Luck!
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah it's fine, just show you're enthusiastic.

I would recommend however to apply for level 3 apprenticeships at the very least instead if you want to do an apprenticeship now. As often employers will just bounce you through the level 2 - and then stick you on the level 3 (if it exists) next in case they keep you on. Preferable to just start on the level 3 from the offset if you've already got a degree and want to progress quick. It will challenge you a bit more too, as teigan mentioned, level 2 can be boring as it's far less involved from a study point of view than a degree.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CF12399)
I saw a customer service apprenticeship advertised which interested me and it is a level 2 apprentice role.

I have just finished university and have a degree and I'm wondering if university graduates can apply for a level 2 apprenticeship.
It will likely be an issue for them to get funding for you to do an apprenticeship as you already have a degree.
(I couldn't do a level 3 one because I had a degree so I suspect you ll have the same issue)
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

The question is why would someone hire you for an apprenticeship level 2 if you have a degree which is level 6.

Your overqualified.

I got a work from home job making £24,000 a year... With my degree... Surely you could easily do the same... Though sadly i wasn't able to do it because i didn't have a NI number... Point being... You can easily get a job working in customer service with a degree... Getting a graduate job is likely harder... But level 2 is a joke that's below A level... Literally for someone who barely has GCSEs.
Last edited by Realitysreflexx; 3 weeks ago
CF12399
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I just really don't know what to do as a career and I'm looking at random things at the moment
Treeroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I just really don't know what to do as a career and I'm looking at random things at the moment
if you're not sure what you want to do, don't lock yourself into a 2 year apprenticeship scheme...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (184)
59.35%
No they should not (91)
29.35%
Abstain (35)
11.29%

Watched Threads