The Student Room Group

A level medicine predicted grades

i want no bs guys I got AAB predicted which is liable to change upon september reaxmination. Can i get into a good med uni with these if not what should i be aiming for
Reply 1
Unis want minimum AAA, some want A*AA and Cambridge even want A*A*A. Try negotiating with the teacher who predicted you a B and see if you can raise it to an A. If you don’t get the grades, then you could do another course and do med postgrad (provided that you still want to do it)

Universities will never give you an offer above your predicted grades but don’t give up
Reply 2
Original post by Medkid7
Unis want minimum AAA, some want A*AA and Cambridge even want A*A*A. Try negotiating with the teacher who predicted you a B and see if you can raise it to an A. If you don’t get the grades, then you could do another course and do med postgrad (provided that you still want to do it)

Universities will never give you an offer above your predicted grades but don’t give up

So is there any point in doing the UCAT and BMAT?
Reply 3
Original post by Entoxo
So is there any point in doing the UCAT and BMAT?

Of course. You should be preparing for your UCAT now. There are a few med schools that don’t look at predicted grades and a few more where AAB is ok. However you really need AAA predictions to give yourself the most options. How are your GCSE’s?
Reply 4
Original post by Laycity
Of course. You should be preparing for your UCAT now. There are a few med schools that don’t look at predicted grades and a few more where AAB is ok. However you really need AAA predictions to give yourself the most options. How are your GCSE’

All 7-9
Take a look at this link
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2701/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools-2021.pdf
It's the entry requirements for all medical schools
There are some that allow AAB predictions but not many so you would have very little choice. I'd say revise over the summer and prove to your teacher that your B should be moved up to an A. With AAA predictions, you give yourself much more choice.
Reply 6
Try to persuade your teacher to bring it up to an A. Apply strategically to schools that don't put as much weighting on A-levels and definitely do your UCAT and BMAT (if you want to apply to BMAT schools) so that you can still apply in October. I didn't get predicted anywhere near what is needed for medicine but I got the grades and then got 4 interviews in clearing (it is much less stressful to apply on results day when you already have a UCAS profile).
Reply 7
Original post by Josh_J
i want no bs guys I got AAB predicted which is liable to change upon september reaxmination. Can i get into a good med uni with these if not what should i be aiming for

You could apply to Brighton and Sussex Medical school (BSMS), I think they take AAB but double check- what unis are u thinking of ?
anything below an aaa will be rejected
Reply 9
A Levels

Most standard offers for entry to BSMS are conditional on gaining three A grades at A-level (including Biology and Chemistry). For widening participation applicants we will accept AAB. We do not specify the nature of the third A-level subject and while many students are advised to study maths

Directly from their website (BSMS)
Reply 10
Original post by Kph25
You could apply to Brighton and Sussex Medical school (BSMS), I think they take AAB but double check- what unis are u thinking of ?

kings/imperial/birgminham/southampton
Reply 11
Original post by Josh_J
kings/imperial/birgminham/southampton

Try to get your teacher to bump up your grade.. maybe do really well in the exams after summer if possible. Good luck !
Reply 12
Original post by eittol
Try to persuade your teacher to bring it up to an A. Apply strategically to schools that don't put as much weighting on A-levels and definitely do your UCAT and BMAT (if you want to apply to BMAT schools) so that you can still apply in October. I didn't get predicted anywhere near what is needed for medicine but I got the grades and then got 4 interviews in clearing (it is much less stressful to apply on results day when you already have a UCAS profile).

Ok so I'm a bit ignorant on this. Are you saying that applying on results day with lets say 3 A*s can net you a better uni despite lower predicted grades?
If you don’t mind me asking, how are you revising for biology? I’m finding it is difficult especially teaching myself everything.
Reply 14
Original post by Blue_skies124
If you don’t mind me asking, how are you revising for biology? I’m finding it is difficult especially teaching myself everything.

Just keep doing past paper questions
Reply 15
Original post by Josh_J
Ok so I'm a bit ignorant on this. Are you saying that applying on results day with lets say 3 A*s can net you a better uni despite lower predicted grades?

Not necessarily a 'better' uni, because most medical schools do not go through clearing or adjustment. It's more to say with AAB it is very unlikely that you will get an offer first time around unless through widening participation, so clearing can be an option if you don't want to take a year out. It really depends what is important to you if you do get the grades, possible prestige in the next entry year or just starting uni. At the end of the day you become a doctor qualified by GMC standards at all British medical schools.
Original post by Josh_J

Check out this year’s medicine clearing thread so you understand the process and how difficult it is. Clearing for medicine is rare, even more so since med schools have started using reserve lists.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6282046&p=89897350&page=65#post89897350

Your focus should be on your UCAT at this point in time. Once you have your UCAT score and confirmed predicted grades come back to the “which medical school” thread for guidance.
Original post by Blue_skies124

I want to just add here. DON'T just do past papers - biology is content-based. In Year 12 I was averaging at a B by doing exam questions but in the AS mocks (which were done in Year 13), Instead of focusing on exam questions, I strengthened my knowledge and my biology teachers give the same advice 'Don't start exam questions without strengthening your knowledge' because Biology isn't like Chem, maths or even physics - it requires application of content and to attempt an application you need strong content knowledge. I am saying this a person who has bumped from a B in Year 12 to an A/A* in Year 13.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending