Maths neev
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Does warwick regard personal statement more than the predicted grades ?
I have got 3 bs as predicted but i fee my personal statement is really good but i am scared i may not be offered a place cause of my predictions. Can anyone help me with this and all replies are appreciated.
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
From the university of Warwick website: “Predictions are considered alongside other available information, including GCSE (or equivalent) attainment, the personal statement, academic reference and any other relevant contextual information.”

What course are you applying for? The entry requirements are very different for different courses at Warwick Are you predicted 3Bs for A-level?
Maths neev
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
From the university of Warwick website: “Predictions are considered alongside other available information, including GCSE (or equivalent) attainment, the personal statement, academic reference and any other relevant contextual information.”

What course are you applying for? The entry requirements are very different for different courses at Warwick Are you predicted 3Bs for A-level?
Yes i got predicted 3 bs for alevel
I am applying for economics
SK.B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Maths neev)
Yes i got predicted 3 bs for alevel
I am applying for economics
Hi, Maths Neev,

I wish that I could respond to you with reassurance, but I think it's best to prepare yourself now than later, I will also explain what my opinion is based on.

The entry course for Ba Economics at Warwick is A*AA, you are predicted an BBB which is a displacement on 4 grades, Warwick as you may be aware has a renowned Economics and Maths department, on par with Oxford (highly competitive) as such they have a huge influx of applicants specifically for these courses.

I applied for Philosophy, Politics and Economics and was rejected with existing grades of AAB (Maths, Philosophy, Politics), I was not offered Economics as an alternative path.

I contacted to find a reason and to quote "Although you present strong super-curriculum participation and noticeable passion..." - this was regarding my personal statement, I was not accepted as this course is highly sought after and competitive (Economics possibly even more so).

I would strongly recommend you reconsider your choices and preparing your feelings for for their response, If you haven't applied yet I would recommend not using your slot but it doesn't hurt to try... taking a gap year is always an option or doing the Autumn exams (however that doesn't necessarily mean you'd get in but wont have to wait to take your exams).

All the best,

S
Last edited by SK.B; 3 weeks ago
Maths neev
Rep:
?
(Original post by SK.B)
Hi, Maths Neev,

I wish that I could respond to you with reassurance, but I think it's best to prepare yourself now than later, I will also explain what my opinion is based on.

The entry course for Ba Economics at Warwick is A*AA, you are predicted an BBB which is a displacement on 4 grades, Warwick as you may be aware has a renowned Economics and Maths department, on par with Oxford (highly competitive) as such they have a huge influx of applicants specifically for these courses.

I applied for Philosophy, Politics and Economics and was rejected with existing grades of AAB (Maths, Philosophy, Politics), I was not offered Economics as an alternative path.

I contacted to find a reason and to quote "Although you present strong super-curriculum participation and noticeable passion..." - this was regarding my personal statement, I was not accepted as this course is highly sought after and competitive (Economics possibly even more so).

I would strongly recommend you reconsider you choices and preparing you feelings for for their response, If you haven't applied yet I would recommend not using your slot but it doesn't hurt to try... taking a gap year is always and option or doing the Autumn exams (however that doesn't necessarily mean you'd get in but wont have to wait to take your exams).

All the best,

S
Hi thanks for the reply.
I have another question so what if i can do really well in my mocks on November, will my predicted grades change again or will they stay the same?
SK.B
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi thanks for the reply.
I have another question so what if i can do really well in my mocks on November, will my predicted grades change again or will they stay the same?
I'm not clear as to which Mocks you are referring in November. In Oct/Nov time as it was recenelty announced the JCQ will be hosting exams for those that feel their predicted grades have failed them or those that wish to take the exams, I believe you may be referring to these.

As mentioned above, their purpose is to help students improve their grades if they feel as though the system has been unfair, these grades would then be your new actual grades as though you had taken the exams in July, and would be issued instead of your current BBB.

However, since you have to apply for university now, it means that those future grades cannot be used as your predicted, they would only solve the issue for students who already applied and had recieved their offers, Warwick is unlikely to give you even an offer as aforementioned, as such you would ultimately have to apply for next year...

The good thing is, that if you have been keeping up with your revision then these Autumn exams should be less tasking to take than waiting for next year in May-July exams... and you can fill your gap year as you please.

The Autumn exams will benefit studetns who have gotten offers for AAB lets say but are expected to get BBB ... A university could make this offer, however, now that the predicted is becoming the actual (not quite) then they would ultimately either chose a different uni or try again through Autumn exams... but there is no necessity for the Universities to have implemented a way to save spots for students who would be going through the Autumn intake...

Feel free to ask me anything, hope this helped.

S
Maths neev
Rep:
?
(Original post by SK.B)
I'm not clear as to which Mocks you are referring in November. In Oct/Nov time as it was recenelty announced the JCQ will be hosting exams for those that feel their predicted grades have failed them or those that wish to take the exams, I believe you may be referring to these.

As mentioned above, their purpose is to help students improve their grades if they feel as though the system has been unfair, these grades would then be your new actual grades as though you had taken the exams in July, and would be issued instead of your current BBB.

However, since you have to apply for university now, it means that those future grades cannot be used as your predicted, they would only solve the issue for students who already applied and had recieved their offers, Warwick is unlikely to give you even an offer as aforementioned, as such you would ultimately have to apply for next year...

The good thing is, that if you have been keeping up with your revision then these Autumn exams should be less tasking to take than waiting for next year in May-July exams... and you can fill your gap year as you please.

The Autumn exams will benefit studetns who have gotten offers for AAB lets say but are expected to get BBB ... A university could make this offer, however, now that the predicted is becoming the actual (not quite) then they would ultimately either chose a different uni or try again through Autumn exams... but there is no necessity for the Universities to have implemented a way to save spots for students who would be going through the Autumn intake...

Feel free to ask me anything, hope this helped.

S
Sorry i think you misunderstood, i am in year 12 currently and got the predicted grades after having completed the mocks past month. I know there will be another mocks when we return and that is just before when we send the ucas application. So my question was that can i still increase my predictions after these mocks
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry i think you misunderstood, i am in year 12 currently and got the predicted grades after having completed the mocks past month. I know there will be another mocks when we return and that is just before when we send the ucas application. So my question was that can i still increase my predictions after these mocks
That's really up to your school and nominated referee. You need to check with them.

Some very good guidance in this thread from SK.B.I would echo their comments, applying with ABB or below predictions would be a waste of a choice. Even AAA-AAB is sketchy given how competitive their programme is; the stronger the better.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Does warwick regard personal statement more than the predicted grades ?
I have got 3 bs as predicted but i fee my personal statement is really good but i am scared i may not be offered a place cause of my predictions. Can anyone help me with this and all replies are appreciated.
Predicted grades are (far) more important than personal statement for most degrees. If the course requires AAA+ there is a reasonable chance of rejection.

What course are you applying to?
SK.B
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ah I see, it was easy to be confused as the current Year 13 (and those on gap years "hi") are in the predicted greades predicament.

The short, sweet and simple answer is - Yes.

You can totally shift your predicted grades, now, you've a leap to make to the A*AA... they would give you an offer if you were going with predicted AAA, as I've mentioned I went with AAB as actual and was not given an offer, so perhaps if your predicted is AAB you could recieve an offer but AAA I would argue would be their safety net.

I would advise, you work like crazy (or normal for a high calibar student) for those upcoming exams as you need to show lets say getting A's in both exams for the average of your teacher's prediction to rise... I would also invite you considering to privately discuss these worries with your teachers, they may be understanding and see your potential - giving you a leg up... this is where it counts to use all those points you've been scoring with them.
BedfordMom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Great advice from SK.B, I’d also add it wouldn’t hurt to start drawing up a short list of other preferable universities in line with the current BBB prediction, if not for your firm at least backup. There are many good universities out there and always tell my son not to ‘fixate’ on just one place UNLESS it’s a shoe in. Good luck on your next mocks!
Maths neev
Rep:
?
(Original post by SK.B)
Ah I see, it was easy to be confused as the current Year 13 (and those on gap years "hi") are in the predicted greades predicament.

The short, sweet and simple answer is - Yes.

You can totally shift your predicted grades, now, you've a leap to make to the A*AA... they would give you an offer if you were going with predicted AAA, as I've mentioned I went with AAB as actual and was not given an offer, so perhaps if your predicted is AAB you could recieve an offer but AAA I would argue would be their safety net.

I would advise, you work like crazy (or normal for a high calibar student) for those upcoming exams as you need to show lets say getting A's in both exams for the average of your teacher's prediction to rise... I would also invite you considering to privately discuss these worries with your teachers, they may be understanding and see your potential - giving you a leg up... this is where it counts to use all those points you've been scoring with them.
Hi again i really appreciate your and everyones reply and now thanks to you i will work really hard to bump my grades up. Thanks again
SK.B
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi again i really appreciate your and everyones reply and now thanks to you i will work really hard to bump my grades up. Thanks again
Thats really great to hear!

It is entirely in the realm of possbility, and from my experience, you should always give your best shot- espically for your educational no matter how steep the gradient is.

Best of luck, and feel free to contact me if you have any queries, let us now in November how you'd done.

Sincerely,

S
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.53%
Take autumn exams (164)
30.09%
Look for a job (19)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.04%
Take a year out (97)
17.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed