Asheville, North Carolina votes to pay reparations to black community

Watch
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...residents.html
What a good thing this is. Shouldn’t other states and places in the USA and UK think about doing the same?
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Remind us why you have posted an article that is clearly about america in uk politics? :holmes:

Good to see you havent lost you support for money sponges though.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
the second bullet point should be read before people jump to conclusions:

"The resolution does not mandate direct payments but instead calls for investments in areas where black residents face disparities"

sounds fine to me, we should support groups of people who are struggling/face disparities.
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mgi)
What a good thing this is. Shouldn’t other states and places in the USA and UK think about doing the same?
Did you know that the average wealth of a white person is 30 times higher than a black person's wealth in America? I say it's in order!
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Remind us why you have posted an article that is clearly about america in uk politics? :holmes:

Good to see you havent lost you support for money sponges though.
The average wealth of a white person is 30 times higher than a black person's wealth in America. Something needs to be done to narrow the gap.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
Did you know that the average wealth of a white person is 30 times higher than a black person's wealth in America? I say it's in order!
Do you have a source for that? 30x times seems really crazy if true.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In typical areas the gap is a more "reasonable" 10 times higher:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-fr...te-wealth-gap/
mgi
Rep:
?
What is " in order"??
Last edited by mgi; 3 weeks ago
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The average wealth of a white person is 30 times higher than a black person's wealth in America. Something needs to be done to narrow the gap.
I remain rather dubious of this assertion im afraid, at least without some reliable evidence to support it.
I mean i might believe that if you specified it was in the deprived areas but it seems manifestly implausible on a national level
Roidrage69
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In the article it states white families median income for Asheville is 30k for black families and rest in the area is 42k, not quite 30x higher.

No to reparations but giving to poorer communities to build them up I agree to .Put money into education and grants for businesses, then if that does not produce even incomes, unemployment and crime rates drop, then it must be the fault of the people in that community and not past injustice.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
North Carolina really doesn't have a good historical record on racial equality so I think it's positive that these news stories are coming from States like this that used to be incredibly racist places to live.
mgi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roidrage69)
In the article it states white families median income for Asheville is 30k for black families and rest in the area is 42k, not quite 30x higher.

No to reparations but giving to poorer communities to build them up I agree to .Put money into education and grants for businesses, then if that does not produce even incomes, unemployment and crime rates drop, then it must be the fault of the people in that community and not past injustice.
but at least 12k higher for white people. What are you debating here?
And no, your conclusions also leave out mention of current toxic racial prejudice relations in America that attempt to thwart equality community action programmes!
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Moved to News.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
I remain rather dubious of this assertion im afraid, at least without some reliable evidence to support it.
I mean i might believe that if you specified it was in the deprived areas but it seems manifestly implausible on a national level
On a national level it's 10 times higher. Still pretty bad considering that all the other minorities in America are on the same level as white people regarding wealth.
mgi
Rep:
?
On a national level it's 10 times higher. Still pretty bad considering that all the other minorities in America are on the same level as white people regarding wealth.
You said: "....all the other minorities in America are on the same level as white people regarding wealth."
This is clearly not true. They are not at the same level as white people!
https://www.pgpf.org/blog/2019/10/in...erview-of-data
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mgi)
more damaging imo, should they now pay native americans or should the UK pay back most of the world for their antics and become bankrupt, how about demanding money from Norway for the Viking Invasions and then the Arabs for capturing people into slavery from England and Ireland etc.?

Where does this end in your opinion
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mgi)
You said: "....all the other minorities in America are on the same level as white people regarding wealth."
Handouts do not build a nation, only wealth creation does this, which benefits every citizen, black, white or green
mgi
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Handouts do not build a nation, only wealth creation does this, which benefits every citizen, black, white or green
And this is not true either! Wealth creation does not benefit every citizen , especially ethnic minorities. Have a look around society!
mgi
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
more damaging imo, should they now pay native americans or should the UK pay back most of the world for their antics and become bankrupt, how about demanding money from Norway for the Viking Invasions and then the Arabs for capturing people into slavery from England and Ireland etc.?

Where does this end in your opinion
It does not end. Pay the reparations. UK would not go bankrupt. That is a myth. Glasgow Uni for example, has already done some form of reparation.
Create a better fairer world for future kids to inherit.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mgi)
Well, then it looks like most minorities are at a disadvantage then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (207)
38.84%
Take autumn exams (161)
30.21%
Look for a job (19)
3.56%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.13%
Take a year out (92)
17.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
6%

Watched Threads